MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do not buy a first Gen MV. not many shops can fix them and even Fast By Ferraci says motors are becoming harder to get. 4000$ for a rebuild is baseline and the life on a typical MV F4 1000 first Gen is 25000 miles well maintained and only ridden not "ridden".

further? they are so friggin short term awesome you will sit on it for years and hate yourself.

now if you can get a first gen for 3500$ with under 9000 miles? go for it! you will get about 9000 more before it fails completely

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts

·
Vendor
5,332 Posts
What a stupid statement to make.Just because you are having issues with your bike you tarnish the brand as a short term piece of crap.All makes and models of bikes/cars whatever have a small percentage of lemons.Service history may tell the story.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Such a shame he has had so much trouble, and reacts in this way as we are all here to help. His gripe should be with the bike shop not this forum and its members, I reckon the bike had been ragged to the edge of its life before he bought it, and if the noise was there from day one, hand it back.

I would have another first Gen in a heartbeat, but my experience has been a pleasure.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Such a shame he has had so much trouble, and reacts in this way as we are all here to help. His gripe should be with the bike shop not this forum and its members, I reckon the bike had been ragged to the edge of its life before he bought it, and if the noise was there from day one, hand it back.

I would have another first Gen in a heartbeat, but my experience has been a pleasure.
+1

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've had more trouble than anyone should have to have.

300 miles - tail light caused stop engine malfunction on dash

900 miles - first stalling starts

1,300 miles - sprag

2,300 miles clutch basket disintegrates, need a whole new engine

2,600 miles - back on the bike and VERY happy with the warranty service from Ducati/MV Austin. MV has taken care of all of it. I sent Helen a couple emails, and she replied directly. Definitely more problems than I should have, but I'm not that surprised. It's Italian, and hot blooded. At least all of the issues are resolved quickly.

OP, take a break from the internet. Go play outside for a while, get some sun.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I always wince when people say " It's italian " or "Italian electrics what do you expect ?"

What's the country of origin got to do with it ? . They say it about the Laverda and my Alfa ..but the Laverda electrics are Bosch and the switch gear Japanese.. The Alfa got caught in very bad flooding conditions in Dublin a few years ago and the water was up to the sills. She didn't miss a beat.

joe

·
Registered
926 Posts
I agree with you Joe, but I think sometimes its in the execution and not the supply. I have had a fair share of 'Japanese' bikes with electrical gremlins too. I find MV's electrics good, apart from the starter solenoid filing up with water and rotting away, my fault I should not have washed it. It was in a drain path, easy to move it a little.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Damn, my bike must be EOL then. Not only does it have a ton of miles on it but I do abuse it.

I always wince when people say " It's italian " or "Italian electrics what do you expect ?"

joe
I was saying it as a joke at Bubba when I had the issue with it cutting out on the way up the mountain (and my dash going out while "cruising" down Bubba's Raceway). "Its Italian, as you know they invented electricity."

Being said, there is a history. Yeah, now Bosch makes everything. But there was a time when more and more was in-house or from less than reputable suppliers.. Like steel, the 124 which would disintegrate after the first rain storm. Heck, the Brits have the same issue with their car industry. When people are joking about British cars they aren't thinking of the P1 or E-type, they are thinking of the 80s rovers, Allegros and Morrii.

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
?

Gil;

'08 910R in 29,000+ mi 3 low beam bulbs and a pair of wheel bearings

my friend, 1 of the owners of the Aprilia Forum, maintains 2 F4 track bikes 30k and 50k on them going strong

you bought the bike used ........caveat emptor

:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts