MV Agusta Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I'm looking for some heat resistant foil with a foam backing to protect the fairings especially the belly pan from heat damage. I bought the bike with the damaged belly pan caused due to heat but I recently got it fixed (plastic welded and repainted), I also put some new heat shield after that but no luck as the heat has damaged it again.

So I've been told by one of our member to look into a heat resistant foil with a foam backing. Hence this thread. I've also searched locally ( In NZ ) but no joy, have found some stuff on ebay but they dont ship to NZ:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fire-Retardant-Self-adhesive-Foil-backed-PE-Foam-Under-Car-Bonnet-1m-x-1m-x-8mm-/281248450284

Do you guys know of someone who sells this product? Please help. Thank you

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Hi Pratik.
Have a look at the forum sponsor DesignCorse.
I'm sure they sell it as a kit for the entire fairing.
You could also check the price from a local MV Agusta dealership. Maybe call and ask for price and availability.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
The good news is that you'll not have to pay VAT (20% tax) on that quoted price.
It should sneak under the GST threshold at NZ customs.

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
I believe wrapping the pipe down there with some exhaust/manifold wrap (usually Kevlar or "titanium" blended) will also help. As will a Microtec ECU. Both did for me.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I buy sheets from another company and cut them to size, for custom parts. But, do not try the foam backed gear, it will melt. The other boys reference's are the way to go.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi

Have you tried your local dirt bike shops? That's where I saw some reflective heat shield without a insulating backing for sale a while ago.

I have some heat shield with a thin woven insulating backing fitted above the mufflers on my F4. From memory that was distributed by Whites Powersport so bike shops should be able to get it.

Try this service if you are struggling to find overseas vendors willing to post to New Zealand:
http://www.nzpost.co.nz/tools/youshop

Hope that helps.

Tony

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe wrapping the pipe down there with some exhaust/manifold wrap (usually Kevlar or "titanium" blended) will also help. As will a Microtec ECU. Both did for me.
Hi Art, I found the actual cause of the heat damage. It was actually the wrapping on the exhaust head which was making a direct contact with the heat shield on the inside of the belly pan. Therefore transferring the heat directly to the object so I have separated both of them and now it seems to be ok but I will have to get the crack fixed again and I've got some spare heat shield from earlier so I'll use it for now and thanks heaps for sending me the brass coupling to fix my mirror. Cheers

I buy sheets from another company and cut them to size, for custom parts. But, do not try the foam backed gear, it will melt. The other boys reference's are the way to go.
Thanks for the Pm Dosny, I've bookmarked those links.

Check Twin star also they might have the OEM shielding
I dont know who they are but thank you for your help anyway.

Hi

Have you tried your local dirt bike shops? That's where I saw some reflective heat shield without a insulating backing for sale a while ago.

I have some heat shield with a thin woven insulating backing fitted above the mufflers on my F4. From memory that was distributed by Whites Powersport so bike shops should be able to get it.

Try this service if you are struggling to find overseas vendors willing to post to New Zealand:
http://www.nzpost.co.nz/tools/youshop

Hope that helps.

Tony
Hi Tony, Thanks for the info. I'll use the youshop service for ordering stuff in the future and I've tried the local shops but they werent of much help.

Have a look here they do all sorts of heat protection, even gold heat shield, i'm going to use it on my new carbonfibre belly pans for my F3, just for that added bit of extra bling. I worked at Tweeks for ten years so i know they supply quality kit and they can ship anywhere in the world.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/heat-shielding-protection
Hey mate, Yes I had a look at the seem to have a wide range of products for our needs so I'll surely use them in the future.

go to the turbo guys......they'll have heat shield :drummer:
Hi Noel, I dont know who they are but thank you for the response. Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
I'm happy the nuts finally arrived Pratik. Also glad you've got the heat issue under control. Here in the US we add flames to the side panels and tanks of custom bikes. I believe this is where it originated from. :)

Cheers,
Art

Hi Art, I found the actual cause of the heat damage. It was actually the wrapping on the exhaust head which was making a direct contact with the heat shield on the inside of the belly pan. Therefore transferring the heat directly to the object so I have separated both of them and now it seems to be ok but I will have to get the crack fixed again and I've got some spare heat shield from earlier so I'll use it for now and thanks heaps for sending me the brass coupling to fix my mirror. Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.