MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This bike is trying to do everything possible as to make me never touch a motorbike again (nevermind the shattered skull).

SO:
1) Dead battery after welding job. Seriously, useless.
2) Replaced with Li-Fe shorai (cool toy!)
3) Cranked, started after a dozen tries, gas poor quality after garaged for 6 months following accident
4) Tried few days later, cranked a few times, but battery weak from prior attempt
5) Used car to try a jump, connected leads, car OFF
6) Tried to start, heard buzzing, unhappy sounds
7) Fack, no display, no diagnostic tach movement...
8) Tried to start 15 mins later - display came on (!) for two seconds, then gone. Of course won't start - starter button only dims the light.

Please don't tell me I knackered the ecu...I swear on the Book I saw her light up for the two seconds.
The fuses are solid.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Fuse check time mate, they are there to try and protect the electronics from such an arc.
Can't confirm where all your fuses are on the Brut sorry but I'm sure the more enlightened will tell us soon.

All the best! accident? you alright? what happened?

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
I think your battery is screwed or very flat, at least that's what I would diagnose from your description. The ECU should be fine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
fuses under the right side panel by the tank. they were indeed all fine. may be indeed time to borrow a charger again. Just blows me away why it would have cranked more or less ok before tapping into a car batt, only to have the display vanish subsequently.

Edit: I think you guys may be on to something with the battery being flat. Did some searching online, and apparently the experience with LiFe batts is significantly different than lead-acids, correct me if I'm wrong. LiFe will crank poorly in cold temps, and as the battery warms up, will crank faster, and faster than lead-acid, at that (I confirm this). It will crank just as strongly until it is almost sapped, at which point it just...goes flat. So cranking strength is not an indicator of remaining battery power. Looks like I need a charge, apparently tenders without a desulfation mode should be fine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as for the accident, it's old news now, two bits of advice - stay away from tree branches in the road, and stay away from Nexx carbon helmets.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
i think the issue is with that battery not with the bike because it started fine off a battery box before it left the shop. I've heard that when its really cold, those batteries can benefit from just letting the bike sit with the highbeams on for a little bit before trying to start. Doesn't make much sense to me, but that's what I was told.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Taking into account the number 5, 6 and 8 with your list, I'd say you have a problem with the starter relay or starter motor.
Power was more than enough because it was a jump from the car, meaning that no battery problem, possibly contacts on the relay or the starter, if all fuses are OK.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sooo...

You purchased a Shorai but not the recmmended charger? Don't let the voltage on tht battery decay too much or it'll be junk.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how is it that the voltage will reduce? I read that charger without desulfation mode would be fine for the batt, i was planning to use one this weekend. any advice before I go about throwing out $140?

·
Registered
176 Posts
From the Shorai website...

how is it that the voltage will reduce? I read that charger without desulfation mode would be fine for the batt, i was planning to use one this weekend. any advice before I go about throwing out $140?

http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx

Q. Should I use a battery tender?

A.The short answer is "only if you really need to". Most powersports enthusiasts have gotten used to hooking up a tender to their lead-acid batteries, all the time. Shorai LFX have much slower self-discharge than the best lead acid do (1/6 to 1/7, on average), they do not sulfate as capacity drops, and they are the ultimate "deep cycle" battery, which means that they can still crank your vehicle even if the remaining capacity is quite low. Therefore most riders will not need to use a tender at all. Even a charger or tender uses energy you have to pay for, and there is always the possibility that a charger or tender can fail in some way, so if not really needed the best practice is to not use one.
A fully charged LFX can sit for a year or more and still retain adequate starting capacity, without damaging the battery. As such, any vehicle which has no current flowing when the key is OFF should never need a tender. At most it should be charged every 6 to 12 months, depending on the average storage temperature (cool storage is much better for any battery). Many older vehicles and most dirtbike/atv fall into this category.
Newer vehicles may have a significant draw even when the key is OFF, to maintain clocks and computers, etc. In this case we expect that a few hours of riding per month will be all that is needed to avoid tending. If you know that you will go a number of weeks or months without riding, you can either attach a tender, or disconnect the negative cable from the battery. In any case, during storage you may use the voltage chart above and an accurate voltmeter, and consider recharging when the battery is around the 50% capacity remaining mark, or above.

Go check the voltage of the battery with a quality voltmeter. If the voltage has dropped below 12.86 the service life will be impacted. Spend the $$$ on the proper charger for your Shorai...

http://motowheels.com/i-7248141-shorai-dedicated-battery-management-system.html

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
This bike is trying to do everything possible as to make me never touch a motorbike again (nevermind the shattered skull).

SO:
1) Dead battery after welding job. Seriously, useless. Hope you isolated the battery first ?

2) Replaced with Li-Fe shorai (cool toy!) Did you fully charge it before fitting ? If not how do you know what state of charge it was in ?

3) Cranked, started after a dozen tries, gas poor quality after garaged for 6 months following accident'''So you naturally drained the battery ..

4) Tried few days later, cranked a few times, but battery weak from prior attempt...So you drained it some more ..

5) Used car to try a jump, connected leads, car OFF ....How good is the car battery in terms of charge state ? How good are the connections at the battery terminals etc etc Your flat bike battery will have dragged down the car battery voltage ?

6) Tried to start, heard buzzing, unhappy sounds...That sounds like voltage is too low to crank the starter motor.

7) Fack, no display, no diagnostic tach movement... That's because your battery is flat

8) Tried to start 15 mins later - display came on (!) for two seconds, then gone. Of course won't start - starter button only dims the light.

psss your battery is flat ; )

Please don't tell me I knackered the ecu...I swear on the Book I saw her light up for the two seconds.
The fuses are solid.

I seriously believe you have a flat battery. My advice to you is to slow down...Charge your battery ..clean the terminals..check the voltage if you can..Clean and check you plugs if you like...etc etc

She will run. These bikes need the battery fully charged as the ecu and fuel pump and injectors pull a good bit of juice before your pride and joy will run.

How do I know all this ? Cuz I have rushed at it all myself in the past and it gets us nowhere..

joe

·
Registered
134 Posts
as for the accident, it's old news now, two bits of advice - stay away from tree branches in the road, and stay away from Nexx carbon helmets.
You didn't find good protection from the NEXX Carbon? I just ordered one of those, how about a few details?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are of course way more (salient) variables in an accident than in a battery (but hey, joe, hat tip to the schooling! we all start out greens, no?).
What additionally was mildly irksome was 'customer service' dept at nexx...I requested assistance to send the helmet for eval after the crash, but that's when communication ended. I spoke last week with a local gear dealer; they mentioned that they refuse to carry Nexx for this reason as well as complaints that the shell is much too durable (they prefer outfitting their customers and dedicated track rats with japanese composite helmets). Yes, every accident is subject to infinite variables, but shattering the head in so many places seems at the end quintile for a <40km/h side-swipe of the jawpiece into a guardrail. However, the Held gloves were fantastic, and leathers do make a difference (unfortunately not when one lands directly on a forearm).
I will say the helmet was comfy, with a great fit and fantastic visibility and ultra lightweight (I know these contribute to safety, however let's admit still at the margins of the core function), the safety department may need a review. So if you want top-notch durable Portuguese technology next time a van rolls over your head on the pavement, go for nexx. And do send my best regards to customer service!

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
There are of course way more (salient) variables in an accident than in a battery (but hey, joe, hat tip to the schooling! we all start out greens, no?).
What additionally was mildly irksome was 'customer service' dept at nexx...I requested assistance to send the helmet for eval after the crash, but that's when communication ended. I spoke last week with a local gear dealer; they mentioned that they refuse to carry Nexx for this reason as well as complaints that the shell is much too durable (they prefer outfitting their customers and dedicated track rats with japanese composite helmets). Yes, every accident is subject to infinite variables, but shattering the head in so many places seems at the end quintile for a <40km/h side-swipe of the jawpiece into a guardrail. However, the Held gloves were fantastic, and leathers do make a difference (unfortunately not when one lands directly on a forearm).
I will say the helmet was comfy, with a great fit and fantastic visibility and ultra lightweight (I know these contribute to safety, however let's admit still at the margins of the core function), the safety department may need a review. So if you want top-notch durable Portuguese technology next time a van rolls over your head on the pavement, go for nexx. And do send my best regards to customer service!

Apologies to Two Daily..
Didn't mean to be so picky perfect ... : )

I'm still green :green:. Haven't you seen my T shirt lol....Didn't mean to be a smarty pants but there's a pretty good chance the battery is flat.... : )

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nah - it was a good dissection of hapless steps 1-8.

i'm hooking up a deltran to this battery tonight, methinks adding merely one L fresh fuel to the tank on top of the four stale ones was not precisely smart. will top off near full!

·
Registered
134 Posts
//edit: sticking to the subject

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Oi Mate

(as I posted in the tread RE your "live test")

On researching this issue, what was startling, was that the median speed for a fatal motorcycle accident is 21.5mph and that Helmets are only 37% effective in preventing fatalities.

Your experience with Nexx customer service is telling however, one woud think they'd be interested in getting the helmet back for forensics particularly being a new company. of course the language gap to Portuguese is pretty severe.

tell me, can you deform (ie flex) the helmet by pressing in on the sides? and if so, is it more, or less than you can other helmets you may own?

Thanks

Leigh,
The man is trying to find out why his bike won't run, and have started a thread about his Helmet experience somewhere else, stick to the subject man.:stickpoke

1 - 20 of 23 Posts