MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent interview former president and still head of the board of VW Ferdinand Piech declared that VW would like to expand its portfolio with a small (but profitably) bike-company. He also confirmed regretting not to been able to buy Ducati when it was up for sale in 1985. Ferdinand also drives a Ducati Superbike so is specially fond of Italian bikes.

Since BMW is the main target for VW-Audi and BMW is entering the superbike class with the new R1000SS it would be likely that VW is looking for a motorbike brand to have this part of the market covered. And maybe enter the WSB competition?

1+1=2 so....

At this moment the only ‘small’ sports motorbike company likely for sale is MV Agusta and since rumours have been circulating freely I wouldn’t be surprised if the Italian company came under German ownership by VW. Remember VW also owns Lamborghini and has been fairly successful in making is profitable.

How many Audis or VW Phaetons have you seen lately at the Varese factory?:naughty:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I guess it depends on how big is MV's debt but I'd be happy with a VW/Audi ownership - may get Porsche to help with some of the engineering as well.

Do you think direct injection technology could work on a motorcycle engine? How about magnetic suspension?

·
Banned
319 Posts
well they did get porsche to make them the cart system they use at the factory to build the bike so they are speaking to the germans about stuff

·
Registered
593 Posts
NOOOO I dont like a boring company like VW but mv agusta could use the money I guess but I rather hope for a nicer more excotic company

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
That would be awesome if VW bought MV and made it a player!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think direct injection technology could work on a motorcycle engine? How about magnetic suspension?
I guess both technologies could be very innovative and would bring something new to the world of superbikes. Think about a superbike that is very docile and comfy at slow speeds and very sharp and harder sprung at the simple flick of a button. Could be much beter than the system of Suzuki GSXR that is in car-terms (think BMW M5) very primitive. Car technology has come far enough to be brought to bikes (always some delay because two wheels never forgive as much as 4 when technology goes wrong).

Start dreaming about a F4 1000 with 200 HP, 180 kg thanks to carbon chassis, Titanium parts and other exotic stuff. Tested by and as reliable as a Porsche.

Personaly being a BMW-fan I have mixed emotions, never been very keen on the modern beetles. Could be hard to decide between the fantasy new Agusta or the new street R1000SS. Guess a lot will depend on prices and technology.

Maybe car-industry should also consider looking at bikes. What makes them great is low weight and a lot of power. A BMW M5 is great to drive and has lots of power. In the end it never delivers as much sensations as a superbike (is a lot safer on modern roads though...)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
well they did get porsche to make them the cart system they use at the factory to build the bike so they are speaking to the germans about stuff

Interesting . If I recall correctly, Porsche learned the chart system from the Japanese in the 1990s.

NOOOO I dont like a boring company like VW but mv agusta could use the money I guess but I rather hope for a nicer more excotic company

For for VW being "boring", VW is the mass market extension of Audi and also has close ties with Porsche It's been years since I followed the brands but I think VW/Audi's CEOs are of the Porsche family.

Ultimately, the technology the VW/Audi/Porsche group could bring to MV Agusta would be beneficial. Styling, I'm sure, would remain "Italian" as it's a trademark of the brand. I just questions VW's reliability....but then I don't consider MV under Cagiva bullet proof either. :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
The big Italian companies should be ashamed of themselves. A great name/marque like MV Agusta should be taken up by the likes of Fiat and given to the likes of Ferrari or Alfa Romeo IMO. They did it with Maserati at look at them now. Very sad indeed. Tifosi through and through me:D

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Turbo Diesel F4

F = Fahrvergneugen

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Here's an article about Audi's magnetic ride suspension. I wonder if it was applied to a sport bike, if the reboud, preload,and compression adjuster would still be necesary. Maybe save some weight?

Audi magnetic ride provides the right degree of damping force at each individual wheel in every situation. The control unit, supplied by complex sensing technology, constantly analyses the situation. Starting from the "Normal" setting, the driver can also activate the "Sport" mode via a button on the centre console. These two programs establish clearly distinctive characteristics.

In the basic mode – when the oil is more viscous and the degree of damping less pronounced – the [Audii] TT rolls surprisingly smoothly; this is ideal for long-distance driving or uneven road surfaces. In the Sport mode, by contrast – when the oil is less viscous – it reveals an extremely dynamic character that is manifested by a resolutely firm grip of the road surface....

Audi Magnetic Ride is based on a magneto-rheological principle. When in a magnetic field, small iron particles in the suspension fluid align themselves in the direction of the magnetic flux. The electromagnetic coil is integrated into the damper piston in such a way that when it is energized the magnetic flux runs exactly transversely to the admission ports in the damper piston. If the piston moves, the aligned iron particles create flow resistance in the flowing suspension fluid.

The greater the energy applied and the stronger the magnetic field, the greater the resistance and damping power. The energy is controlled in relation to driving dynamics and impulses from the road. This means for every road situation optimal damping power is available. This damping power produces – according to OEM desire – a more comfortable feel or sportier vehicle handling.

Audi uses the magneto-rheological dampers for both – comfort and sport. In its basic mode, the suspension allows for a more comfortable vehicle feel. In sports mode, the vehicle offers a sportier ride thanks to a push of a button. Because of the lower level of damping force in basic mode, the total path of the springs is fully utilized. This assures top comfort over long distances and when driving over uneven surfaces.

The greater damping of the sports mode results in tighter, sportier handling along with better control in the threshold. It also optimally suppresses the rolling tendency of the car’s body in corners.

Since no mechanical parts must be moved, the Delphi technology responds extremely spontaneously. The damping force is only dependent on the power applied to the magneto-rheological fluid and can be adjusted up to 1,000 times a second. . Thanks to the variable control of the power, the damping force can also be set infinitely. This means the magneto-rheological dampers respond almost in real time with great sensitivity to impulses from the road. The control system loop with Skyhook algorithms ensures the greatest possible road-to-wheel contact in the case of uneven road surfaces with the least impulses to the car body. This means the Audi TT with Magnetic Ride has the greatest possible driving dynamics and allows for comfort.

Delphi’s magneto-rheological monotube damper requires roughly the same space requirements as conventional dampers or struts. If required, Delphi supplies the complete semi-active system with dampers and struts including the sensors and the control unit.

For Audi, the low energy requirements of the system are another benefit. On average, a damper requires just 5 watts of electrical capacity (25 watts at a maximum).
http://www.gizmag.com/go/5752/

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
VW also owns Bugatti and Lamborghini.

They like to see at as Audi own Lamborghini and VW own Bugatti, no one owns Porsche:)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Turbo Diesel F4

F = Fahrvergneugen

Hey don't mock the Diesel!! Le Mans was won by an Audi Diesel last year, This year we have Seat TDI's in the BTCC, who'd have thought that 5 years back? and the R8 is now available in Diesel..............it's quicker than the Petrol version:bawling:

·
Registered
307 Posts
A Bike With Audi Engine

i love this bike...

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
oh please buy them and put MV back where they belong! RACING! MotoGP of course and wouldnt mind seeing World Superbike!

·
The Machinist
2,448 Posts
oh please buy them and put MV back where they belong! RACING! MotoGP of course and wouldnt mind seeing World Superbike!

I think Moto GP is far to big a leap.:)
However I think WSBK is definitely within reason. If they could get a company that understands that racing and winning is a necessary component in selling bikes,then everyone will benifit. So i don't really care who buys the company. Just as long as the build quality doesn't suffer, and I also think they should always be built in Italy. This I don't think would even be an issue of consideration. It might be a good thing to keep someone as dedicated to the brand as Castiglioni. Maybe not run the day to day opperations, but someone needs to be the face of the brand. I think he's it. His passion runs deep. Just not his wallet!:laughing:
Does it really matter where the money comes from?
If it's VW so be it, Fiat even better.
WE just need some new bikes.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts