MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding in NYC you can [and will] get a ticket for riding a motorcycle with your visor up - You can only have the visor up when stopped. Even if you are wearing glasses...... the only exception is if you have 'shatterproof' lenses. Yes this is so completely fucked up for so many reasons - open face helmets anyone? but still the NYPD will still pull you over for this one - it gives them an excuse to check documents etc - my question is - Does anyone know of prescription certified shatterproof lenses and where to get them?

Any other of you guys in NYC? we should all get together at the Ear one night for a pint of Boddingtons and a chat about how Bloombergs got it in for us [few] motorcyclists.... don't get me started...

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
wow, that's news. glad i moved. :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
all oakley sunglasses are shatter proof, I know this because I brought the line into my dealership, and 90% of thier products are also prescription ready. I myself have 4 pairs of thier glasses in prescription form, they are excellent and have saved me from going blind (broken carbide bit at about mach 2) and loosing a good portion of my face. Most quality riding glasses are also shatter proof, and any decent eye doctor can make up a set of shatter proof lenses for you, its not a difficult thing to come by.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Some Guy said:
all oakley sunglasses are shatter proof, I know this because I brought the line into my dealership, and 90% of thier products are also prescription ready. I myself have 4 pairs of thier glasses in prescription form, they are excellent and have saved me from going blind (broken carbide bit at about mach 2) and loosing a good portion of my face. Most quality riding glasses are also shatter proof, and any decent eye doctor can make up a set of shatter proof lenses for you, its not a difficult thing to come by.

Which Oakleys do you wear with a helmet? I have a couple pairs of some of the Wire ones, but they don't work with helmets since the frame goes out wide.

I had some Nike brand sunglasses that had better coverage around the eye (oakleys seem to leave big gaps for air to blow in) and also were slim on the sides, but they are pretty banged up, so i am in the market for something else.....

·
Registered
822 Posts
TokyoLunch said:
Which Oakleys do you wear with a helmet? I have a couple pairs of some of the Wire ones, but they don't work with helmets since the frame goes out wide.

I had some Nike brand sunglasses that had better coverage around the eye (oakleys seem to leave big gaps for air to blow in) and also were slim on the sides, but they are pretty banged up, so i am in the market for something else.....
I have 2 sets of the Minute frames, which fit the best with a helmet. The minute are a small frame, with a nice curveature, they fit my face very well.
http://oakley.com/o/o1223d

Also a set of monster dogs, which are a bit big, and Juliet's which stand off my face a bit, but are still adequate. I usually only ride with the visor open at low speed, once im up to highway speeds it goes back down again, so for most occasions the Oakleys are more than adequate. You're right, they do let a bit of air in, but nothing I found uncomfortable. Pan Optics makes great glasses, specifically for riding, that have a soft rubber gasket which seals any air leaks, they are also prescription ready.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Some Guy said:
I have 2 sets of the Minute frames, which fit the best with a helmet. The minute are a small frame, with a nice curveature, they fit my face very well.
http://oakley.com/o/o1223d

Also a set of monster dogs, which are a bit big, and Juliet's which stand off my face a bit, but are still adequate. I usually only ride with the visor open at low speed, once im up to highway speeds it goes back down again, so for most occasions the Oakleys are more than adequate. You're right, they do let a bit of air in, but nothing I found uncomfortable. Pan Optics makes great glasses, specifically for riding, that have a soft rubber gasket which seals any air leaks, they are also prescription ready.

cool, i'll have to give those a try. they look a lot like the eye jackets from years ago.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts