MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that have put a video camera on the MV, how did you do it? What kind of setup did you use?

Just wanted to know what people have done. If you've done this on either an F4 or a Brutale, your comments would be helpful.

I'm thinking about it. Not sure what if I will do it. As a general philosophy, I tend to not want to deal with this stuff since it takes my focus away from riding. And when you're at the track, it's ALL about the riding.

Alex

·
Registered
410 Posts
Alex-

I have found 2 different ways to mount cameras, depending on what type of camera you want to use. Pirate's Lair has an excellent mount that bolts to the gas tank. It'll hold a palm sized camcorder. Great for shots through the windscreen while capturing the dials on the bike.

My favorite solution though is made up of 2 components. A lipstick camera from VioSport (AdventureCam III) and a digital recorder from Archos (AV 500). I like this combination because the camera can be mounted almost anywhere on the bike. They have various mounting posts as add-ons for handlebars, under the seat, helmet, or even on a long flexible stalk that can hang off the side of the cycle. The Archos is small, has decent battery life, instant playback, and records all digital so the convenience factor is high. The recorder can go anywhere you want. Bolt it onto the bike if you want something permanent or stick it in a backpack/fanny pack to carry it with you (I put mine in a Moose Racing pack). I have posted a video of me flipping my Raptor 700R on my website at www.cullenaz.com (click on "hobbies" and scoll down to the blog entry on the crash). The video was taken with the VioSport camera and the Archos recorder.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you go with.

Steve

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the remote (lipstick) camera is nice. if i ever get serious about this, that's the direction i'd like to go.

i'm also looking at this:
http://www.powerstands.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=31&Product_ID=8&CATID=1

i have kind of an old camcorder (jvc), but it would work with the mantis mount. not sure if that will fit on the MV, but i will have a chance to check the fitment soon.

a guy over at r6messagenet.com gave me this link:
http://www.chasecam.com/
he uses it to recored his racing (WSMC). here's a link to his most recent vids. btw, this guy is pretty quick (1:28s on a 06 R6). http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91070

but of all the systems i've seen, this one looks the best - video along with other data (rpm, speed, gear, so on)
http://www.vdlmotorsports.com/

alex

·
Living the Dream
2,758 Posts
I also have one of the lipstick size camera that came with an indistructable (sp?) hard case that can be mounted anywhere with velcrow. i got it from www.helmetcamera.com and i love it. as soon as i can get the video sized down i will try and get it to you Alvin for posting. it is 22 mins long 120 mb has about 17 mins from the tail pointing back and about 5 from on top of my helmet. it is a pretty decent video and ends with the guy i am riding with wiping out, got the whole thing on tape. he is ok, it was just crazy that he got to watch his own wreck. check that site out, it is a nice ass camera.

·
Registered
419 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
That helmet camera one is nice, but it sounds like they're trying to reinvent the wheel.

At first, I thought the pieces you were paying for WAS the camcorder, it being $200 and up, I though it had a little digital media stick it attached to, like an SD card, or portable USB drive type deal. Then I read on and you have to have a camcorder in a backback. Well, that completely defeats the purpose of the thing being indestructible, cause if you're wearing a backpack and go down, that helmet "camera" isn't fucked, but your camcorder still is. And how the hell can you use that at the track?

Meh, great product, but i think it woulda been better if it were a little a media stick or something....but it's not....poo.

·
Registered
419 Posts
from what i can tell.. this is the norm.. meaning, anyone making a video has to have a camcorder somewhere. So that part is not an option. The helmet camera gives us the option of putting the camcorder in a different place than the vantage point. I see the value in that. I'd rather not have a bulky bulge in the same place i'd like to tuck when going at speed. Personally.. i'd always rather put myself in a situation where i have an option.. and this helmet camera seems to provide it... but.. this is also my first attempt at finding ANY of this stuff... so please guys... for those who make these videos.. tell me.. any i wrong.. whats the better way.. wheres the better equipment?

oicdn, am i wrong here? i think your gripe is that camcorders are the size they are... you want them to be very small and they simply aren't. we have to work with whats available.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Onboard video options have their positives and negatives. Most use one of two options... directly mounting a camcorder to the gas cap ring, or a helmet/bulletcam. I use both extensively. Briefly,

Directly mounting a camcorder...
+ Simple to connect and use
+ Can point through the screen, see the dials
+ Have options to use filters and lens
+ Can monitor the recording
- Camera faces one direction
- Gas cap ring mount can get in the way of some riders in a full tuck

Using a bullet or helmet cam...
+ Can work in more places, on any bike
+ Can look around for the viewer if the bulletcam is on the helmet
- Nasty spaghetti network of cables
- Getting the orientation and rotation of the bulletcam just right can be a pain
- Must still have a camcorder or a device to take the feed on the bike or self
- No option to use lens or filters
- Difficult to monitor how the recording is going

Net, I use the gas cap ring most often on sporting rides and use the helmet cam on dual-sport (off road and bumpy) rides or rides when I want to look around for the viewer.

·
Registered
410 Posts
sfarson said:
Onboard video options have their positives and negatives. Most use one of two options... directly mounting a camcorder to the gas cap ring, or a helmet/bulletcam. I use both extensively. Briefly,

Directly mounting a camcorder...
+ Simple to connect and use
+ Can point through the screen, see the dials
+ Have options to use filters and lens
+ Can monitor the recording
- Camera faces one direction
- Gas cap ring mount can get in the way of some riders in a full tuck

- Getting the orientation and rotation of the bulletcam just right can be a pain

Net, I use the gas cap ring most often on sporting rides and use the helmet cam on dual-sport (off road and bumpy) rides or rides when I want to look around for the viewer.
I agree with almost everything listed except that with the VioSport lipstick camera and Archos AV500, there really isn't a bunch of cables strung all over. Just one thin wire to the camera in this setup. Also, the VioSport camera can accept different lenses (I have a "normal" and wide angle lens for mine), and I believe (but don't quote me on this) 1/4" filters will fit on it although I haven't tried it.

Steve

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
We use xtremerecall 520 sony exview lipstick cam and a bunch of different RAM mounts.
With lipstick cams you always have to deal with mic wires and power source wires?
We also use a camcorder as recording device because you are limited with the solidstate or deck-only recorders to MPEG4 which is difficult/impossible to deal with when adding anything in premiere pro and working with your own high quality compression, IMO.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
If you have a high quality digital camera, you can use that. I know my digital camera takes excellent video in mov format. Might not be "DV quality", but after your compression of your DV video, it ends up looking like my video images....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the Lipstick bullet cam as well as the tank mounted camcorder bikecam.. but the chasecam recorder looks promising I think I might go that route..

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
sfarson said:
Dont totally agree here.
Once you film for a while, you learn to that the cabling can be sorted and minimized pretty easy....
The pencilcam itself can be marked easy to show top dead centre. It's never a problem to set the camera up straight.
We use anti-glare filters on our pencilcam all the time with great results...just tape them in place !
Have a look at some of our vids...the colors are very vibrant.
If you're monitoring how the recording is going, while riding...well, you're not going hard enough :naughty:

{Pics below show pencilcam with TDC marked and anti-glare filter attached}

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts