MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
what a fucking moron, they should hang and stab the truck driver with hot irons...seriously, unbelievable.
More importantly I really feel for the fireman his family and the rest of the victims.

·
Super Moderator
21,478 Posts
Prayers for all...and another strong case for redefining Driving While Impaired.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
A dump truck plowed into a group of eight motorcycles stopped at a red light in Phoenix, killing three riders, injuring six others and scattering flaming wreckage across the intersection.

The eight motorcycles, carrying at least nine people, had pulled up behind a pickup and a small SUV at the light Thursday when the tr...uck driver rammed them from behind, said Phoenix police spokesman Detective James Holmes. The truck ran over the motorcyclists and continued into the SUV.

"It's a horrific scene," Phoenix Fire Deputy Chief Frank Salomon told The Associated Press.

Some of the motorcycles burst into flames under the dump truck, while others ended up scattered behind the truck. Television images of the crash site showed a horrifying collection of mangled chrome Harley-Davidson bikes and scattered personal belongings, including pairs of riders' boots laying in the roadway.

Lynn McDowell, an employee at a nearby drug store, told The Arizona Republic that she ran to the scene with others from her job to help. "There were bodies everywhere," McDowell said.

The most seriously injured was off-duty Phoenix Fire Capt. Ernie Lizarraga, a 22-year department veteran who was hospitalized in very critical condition Thursday evening, authorities said.

These are quotes from the first article....

"Three people were killed Thursday afternoon and six others critically injured when several motorcycles COLLIDED with a truck hauling garbage on the Carefree Highway in north Phoenix"

"Salomon told The Associated Press the accident happened when the RIDERS got too close to the big rig." ...

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
That's horrendous ! My thoughts are with these bikers and their families. I am just back from 2 weeks in AZ and unfortunately I'm not surprised this kind of thing happens. I know in the UK we don't have the worlds best drivers but I have never seen so many drivers on their phones, texting or generally not paying attention to the road, as I did recently. We sat behind an SUV on I10 between Phoenix and Tucson, for a couple of miles, not able to pass safely due to it weaving between lanes. When we eventually managed to pass it, the guy was on his phone trying to read what we thought was a map, at the same time !!!!!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
OMG. That is so tragic. Everytime I'm at a light or stop, I always pulse my front brakes so that the brake light pulses on and off, hoping that some brain dead person behind me does not plow into me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Very sad for real.....

Go figure, I got a speeding ticket from a motorcycle cop that same evening. He wrote me up in my own driveway. $$$.00 Do they really care about anyones safety these days?.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What is more scary, Arizona doesnt required riders to wear helmets. Every time I visit family in Az, I tend to look twice at riders as they blow by me with no helmets. Being a rider of Cali, it trips me out every time. I hope most of them were fully protected because head injuries are very serious. God bless them and may they have a full recovery.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Several bikes collided with the truck WTF. More like ass hole not paying attention plows into 8 bikes. Who taught these people how to report. Seeing the pics from the scene makes everything that I have been bitching about lately seem pretty damn pointless.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have a friend that is Cal Highway Patrol, he rode a bike for years and got off a couple of years back...he's told me often that the amount of accidents caused by people in cars simply being distracted from phones, reading maps, reading newspapers and the like has increased 700% the past five years. In fact he told me about a 30 year old women who killed herself a few months back in a So Cal Canyon, who was driving with her knees (on a mountain road during rush hour) while using both hands to put on her make up, face in the rearview mirror, while talking on the phone (wedged between her shoulder and ear) with her radio on super loud (they'd gotten cell phone reports about what she was up to, while she was still rolling) and the dispatched car that was sent to investigate, found her totaled car, head-on into a truck on the wrong side of the road, makeup scattered around both floorboards, cell phone opened at her feet, mirror facing where her head would have been and the radio still blasting. He said to me last week: "Just look at the amount of bus benches, newspaper boxes, street signs and such you see knocked down all over town...people are are driving and not even looking at the road and it's getting worse. If we don't start treating these types of incidents with the same energy and vigor that we prosecute people for drunk driving, thousands of innocent people are going to die as a result"

·
Registered
655 Posts
Wow..!! Horrible!! Motorcycle world and & everyone else should revolt so the govm'nt would make more strict rules about driving impaired and using cellphones while driving!!! :mad: :cussing:

These things make me soooooo freaking mad!!! :rant: :mad:

I wish recovery to those who got injured and to those who lost loved ones.

The truck driver should go to jail no doub!! But will he? :wtf:

I hate how ppl drive in this Country!!!
I've been to Italy for a year and ppl drive like MANIACS, but at least there are a million of bikers and scooters everywhere and they pay attention to them and no one ever runs them over!! Amazing! :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Everytime I'm at a light or stop, I always pulse my front brakes so that the brake light pulses on and off, hoping that some brain dead person behind me does not plow into me.
I do EXACTLY the same thing buddy!! :D

Every time I pull up to a red light I leave a HUGE gap between me and a car in front of me, and I pulse my breaks & watch my mirrors constantly to make sure that the car behind me stops..and I always have my hand on the clutch and throttle ready to ride forward if I don't think car behind me doesn't have enough time to stop... :ahhh:

This extra precaution can be a matter of life or death.:drummer:

·
Registered
848 Posts
What is more scary, Arizona doesnt required riders to wear helmets. Every time I visit family in Az, I tend to look twice at riders as they blow by me with no helmets. Being a rider of Cali, it trips me out every time. I hope most of them were fully protected because head injuries are very serious. God bless them and may they have a full recovery.
No helmet law here in Hawaii either.

A lot of young soldiers, specificly the 25th ID infantry grunts will go out with their military bonus, buy a crotch rocket with no previous experience; get shitfaced drunk and try to race with no helmet.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have a friend that is Cal Highway Patrol, he rode a bike for years and got off a couple of years back...he's told me often that the amount of accidents caused by people in cars simply being distracted from phones, reading maps, reading newspapers and the like has increased 700% the past five years. In fact he told me about a 30 year old women who killed herself a few months back in a So Cal Canyon, who was driving with her knees (on a mountain road during rush hour) while using both hands to put on her make up, face in the rearview mirror, while talking on the phone (wedged between her shoulder and ear) with her radio on super loud (they'd gotten cell phone reports about what she was up to, while she was still rolling) and the dispatched car that was sent to investigate, found her totaled car, head-on into a truck on the wrong side of the road, makeup scattered around both floorboards, cell phone opened at her feet, mirror facing where her head would have been and the radio still blasting. He said to me last week: "Just look at the amount of bus benches, newspaper boxes, street signs and such you see knocked down all over town...people are are driving and not even looking at the road and it's getting worse. If we don't start treating these types of incidents with the same energy and vigor that we prosecute people for drunk driving, thousands of innocent people are going to die as a result"
Well its good population control... I have no remorse for these useless humans WHO KNOW BETTER, but lack the common sense, or will to do the right thing; more like the complete disregard they have for everyone else. I feel for all the victims, everyday that face these people in head on collisions and likewise. Texting and driving should be a felony, along with putting on makeup. I saw a lady in Seattle driving on I-5 northbound near downtown reading a NEWSPAPER...these people should be shot, because they will kill you, or your kids and never seem to learn until they are dead.

·
Registered
353 Posts
This is very sad indeed and if the driver goes scot free it's even sadder. I have no words to express my anger. This is a nightmare. Just have prayers for the families that have lost their loved ones and the ones still fighting for their life.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts