MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 1950 125 competizione is the only known example of its kind. They were based on the production models of the time and made available to privateers, only in Italy, mainly to combat the successful Vespa & Lambretta racing scooters. Photographed in the Casa Lambretta Museum, Milan, (Phil Aynsley photography).

PA_CasaLambretta-211.jpg
PA_CasaLambretta-212.jpg

For those interested in scooters, a photographic tour of the Casa Lambretta Museum, Milan.
http://www.philaphoto.com/imageLibrary/displayimage.php?album=1163&pos=23

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Thanks Russ, great link!!

I've been to the Vespa museum in Pontedera (near Florence) which is fantastic & really worth seeing but never heard of Casa Lambretta Museum in Milan - definitely one for my list next visit to Italy which could be mid next year all things lining up. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Naahhhhhh!!!!.
I reckon this is a gee up. I can't find that anywhere in my new MV history book!!!
I reckon it was an attempt at a combined utility vehicle.
The front looks like a vacuum cleaner and the back looks like a leaf blower
Maybe they built it for the local council!!!???

What do you reckon the lap time would be around Phillip Island...3m 47s to turn 1...

That seating position would be murder
cheers

:laughing::laughing::laughing::silly:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
It's genuine, here is the proof.

When I first saw this posted here I asked a friend of mine who happens to work at the Lambretta scooter museum which is based in Weston-super-Mare in the UK about it.

My friend Carlo knows a huge amount about the 1940 to 1960's era scooters of many Italian brands. Sure enough he pulled a copy of "SCOOTERING MAGAZINE" and kindly copied a few pages from it's October 2013 edition. The bike is known as a Tipo Competizione 125cc and was an off the shelf racer available to the public.

Hope the pics are readable and my thanks to Scootering and of course Carlo.:)

jimboF4

Attachments

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Great to see the bike in color.
And Yes they raced this babies in the scooter classes in Italy.
The scooter required just a gap between the tank and the steering head.
Later model scooter racers looked way more like real racing bikes and the gap was down to a few millimeters.
All the big manufacturers in Italy fielded such bikes as this class was very popular.
MV Agusta had scooters for the factory team with bialbero engines.
I think I even have a sales brochure of a monoalbero scooter at home.

·
Administrator
20,788 Posts
Gotta love that "dustbin" fender !!!!

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
When I first saw this posted here I asked a friend of mine who happens to work at the Lambretta scooter museum which is based in Weston-super-Mare in the UK about it.

My friend Carlo knows a huge amount about the 1940 to 1960's era scooters of many Italian brands. Sure enough he pulled a copy of "SCOOTERING MAGAZINE" and kindly copied a few pages from it's October 2013 edition. The bike is known as a Tipo Competizione 125cc and was an off the shelf racer available to the public.

Hope the pics are readable and my thanks to Scootering and of course Carlo.:)

jimboF4
Great follow up Jimbo!

It is indeed true that the day you stop learning you are dead.

Thanks Jimbo, your 'work' is very much appreciated. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts