MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Has anyone tried the vented fairing side panels on the F4?
Do these help with overheating issues?

how would the following combo deal with this problem on a 1078?

-upgraded water pump
-aluminum fans
-vented fairings

Inputs much appreciated.

michael

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Why not just do Lee's fan mod?
Less expensive.
Less work.
Works better than the mods you've mentioned.

Check out the fanzilla and son of fanzilla threads.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would be interested in this as well. Even if you do Lee's Fanzilla mod to help with engine overheating when riding in stop-and-go traffic there is still the issue of the underfairing temperature during normal operation.

With inadequate venting there isn't enough air flow to keep the interior temperature to a reasonable level. My fuel tank gets downright HOT after a ride. Thighs, too.

The temperature inside the fairing gets high enough to have a shortening effect on the lifetime of electronic components, including the solid state EBS relay that seems to fail rather frequently.

I have been toying with the idea of buying a trashed fairing and playing with venting it and would like to know if anyone has done it already ...

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hi

how would the following combo deal with this problem on a 1078?

-upgraded water pump
-aluminum fans
-vented fairings

Inputs much appreciated.

michael
Hi Michael,

One of the problems with overheating and high tempratures is due to the fairings not having enough and correctly placed Vents on the fairings where hot air can flow out. We have fitted our Vented fairings on a 1000R and also installed the Oversized Racing CNC upgraded water pump and it makes great reductions in tempratures. Max temp Now even in Heavy traffic and high outside temprature and humidity it stays below 100 Degrees celcius.

Members from Philipines, Thailand and Singapore have now installed these and im sure someone who has done this mod will tell you themselfs how good it works.

See the link below of our parts im refering to:

http://www.designcorse.co.uk/Mv_Agusta_Overheating_solution/Upgraded_Fairings

http://www.designcorse.co.uk/Mv_Agusta_Overheating_solution/Racing_Upgrade_Water_Pump

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would be interested in this as well. Even if you do Lee's Fanzilla mod to help with engine overheating when riding in stop-and-go traffic there is still the issue of the underfairing temperature during normal operation.

With inadequate venting there isn't enough air flow to keep the interior temperature to a reasonable level. My fuel tank gets downright HOT after a ride. Thighs, too.

The temperature inside the fairing gets high enough to have a shortening effect on the lifetime of electronic components, including the solid state EBS relay that seems to fail rather frequently.

I have been toying with the idea of buying a trashed fairing and playing with venting it and would like to know if anyone has done it already ...

like this? I am in the process of having them repainted after the mod and I have screen that will go behind the holes so it will have the same look as the other vents.
I tried several different vent styles, shapes and sizes but I wanted something that looked good on the bike but had enough open area that even while sitting could vent a significant amout of heat. It should cool the bike off far faster once moving too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
like this? I am in the process of having them repainted after the mod and I have screen that will go behind the holes so it will have the same look as the other vents.
I tried several different vent styles, shapes and sizes but I wanted something that looked good on the bike but had enough open area that even while sitting could vent a significant amount of heat. It should cool the bike off far faster once moving too.
Nice. Let us know how it works out.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
A member here Spypyp did his own vents & his bike looks fantastic - here's a pic - maybe you can contact him & ask him how he did it :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
A member here Spypyp did his own vents & his bike looks fantastic - here's a pic - maybe you can contact him & ask him how he did it :)

Thanks MVista you put me in the shit now..lol..
I did this mod about a year or so ago. These are fiber glass track fairings and had to be stiffened in the back where the vent was put in. I did it with a sheet of Carbon Fiber., but you can use fiber glass.
If you use the original guards you will not have to stiffen the back side where you place the vent as the original guards are very strong.
The bike runs at a consistent temp of 83 degrees Celsius (181F) and will get to 93 degrees Celsius (199F) stuck in traffic, thats stand still for 4-5 minutes...

The difference with the modification to the guards is the heat escapes very quickly thus not allowing it to over heat...and once you accelerate the temp will drop 8-10 degrees immediately...
These are the track guards and the belly pan is closed, unlike the original F4 which is open.
If you run the Standard Belly pan and do the mods to the upper fairing (extra vents) you will see a difference in temps of 10-15 Celsius (50-60). I have a difference of 20 degrees Celsius only because i run the Microtec and the Bodis Exhaust.

I hope this has answered some questions...anyway here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Spy That really looks great. I noticed the left side has three openings and the right one. Were you trying out different types or is there a reason for this? It looks very great and just subtly changes the fairing without destroying the basic lines.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Spy That really looks great. I noticed the left side has three openings and the right one. Were you trying out different types or is there a reason for this? It looks very great and just subtly changes the fairing without destroying the basic lines.

Jim
If you have a look at my fairings you will see that on the L/H side there is some sensors and plumbing to deal with, I imagine that is what Spy was hiding.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts

I don't think that's right. When the bike is moving no one has a problem with over heating. So the problem is not the air getting through the radiator and having no place to go, the issue is not enough air is flowing through the radiators when the bike is stationary. Plenty of us have taken the fairings off when the bike is stationary and seen it refuse to over heat, leading us to conclude that the problem is air getting trapped behind the fairings.

I believe the reason you see large gashes in the fairings of the race bikes is because they use the large one piece radiator with no fans.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't think that's right. When the bike is moving no one has a problem with over heating. So the problem is not the air getting through the radiator and having no place to go, the issue is not enough air is flowing through the radiators when the bike is stationary. Plenty of us have taken the fairings off when the bike is stationary and seen it refuse to over heat, leading us to conclude that the problem is air getting trapped behind the fairings.

I believe the reason you see large gashes in the fairings of the race bikes is because they use the large one piece radiator with no fans.
Sorry, I think I was unclear. My bike doesn't overheat, but the temperature inside the fairings gets to an unhealthy level. On a warm day the air exiting the rear of the fairing feels like hair dryers set on high pointed right at my thighs and the fuel tank gets hot to the touch. I'm pretty sure increased air flow through the fairing would bring that temperature down.

I could be wrong, though. It happened once before ...

·
Registered
874 Posts
If you have a look at my fairings you will see that on the L/H side there is some sensors and plumbing to deal with, I imagine that is what Spy was hiding.
That's true Donsy the plumbing is ugly on the left hand side, and as Cag said, when they race the bike they do not run fans. When my bike was raced in 2007 they only ran the lower fan. The top one was removed and they ran the spacers like what Chris at X-Bikes has so the heat could escape.

I think it was in the second post Cag said it, why not do what Lee did with the fan mod.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts