MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I eventually found the correct grade (size) of mesh I wanted to cover the vents on fairing and tail, found it at emoto, comes in silver, gold or black and enough for two bikes at about A$70 fot the sheet.

Its very easy to fit and cuts so easily..looks great and now hides the view of the fuse box ect

Attachments

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Well done and yet another tasty improvement. If you have enough left over and I ever get to pick up my bike I'd be happy to buy the left over.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
agusta01 said:
I eventually found the correct grade (size) of mesh I wanted to cover the vents on fairing and tail, found it at emoto, comes in silver, gold or black and enough for two bikes at about A$70 fot the sheet.

Its very easy to fit and cuts so easily..looks great and now hides the view of the fuse box ect
Yeah i had seen those in emoto site before.
How did you fitted it?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Easy, its so soft and therefore quite easy to form into the shape you need, just overlay a slightly larger piece on the reverse side of the fairing and 'form' over the opening.

Once cut and and the correct shape, run a bead of a good quality silicone sealent over the edges, wait an hour and can reassemble.

I did the nose fairing vents (4) and the 6 on the side fairings and the 2 on the tail. I guess about 4-5 hours and its done including cleanup.

It really is a great addition and not a great cost, I just kept looking at the Tamburini and the Ago and the SPR...the mesh looks just so good, had to have it!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am waiting for my mesh to arrive to from E-Moto.

Can you snap a pic of the inside of the fairing to see how the mouting looks ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
878 Posts
.. for those not so concerned with the mesh style, a year ago I visited my local Home Depot and bought a sheet of mosquito screen (in black and silver) for a couple $$'s. I used the black ones on my red Duc plastics, and used the silver on my black Duc plastics. Sheets are easy to cut, just a pair of regular scissors, and 3M double sided tape did the job. Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
awiner,

Will not have time on weekend to remove fairings to get a picture, but this is inside the tail, obviously once silicon is dry I intend to clean up the bead and will try to bind the exposed edge with red tape or similar, but I guess you never see the inside.

The mesh is so light that it holds in place so easily, I was a bit concerned in regards to fitting, but so easy and foolproof!

Have fun and if you find an easier way let us know

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
Also can try a hot glue gun. This is all the Japaense use on current GSXR Air Ducts. I'd also reccommend Sikaflex Urethane.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am probably going to use some hi-temp silicon. That way it is easy to remove in the event you ever need to go back to stock. The silicon will simply peel off with some work.

Hot glue may leave some marking on the pastics.

·
Registered
474 Posts
awiner said:
I am probably going to use some hi-temp silicon. That way it is easy to remove in the event you ever need to go back to stock. The silicon will simply peel off with some work.

Hot glue may leave some marking on the pastics.
Don't be concerned. I had to swap the grills over on a GSXR the other day. The glue peels off real easy, and didn't appear to even leave a mark on the paint, and no residue. I am other taking about those Bostick Hobby glue guns from the hardaware store. Cost AUD$16. Just wipe both parts with rubbing alcohol and allow the glues to penetrate the mesh with a couple of dobs spaced around. Give a Factory finish, albeit Japanese Factory :p

A way different experience to when trying to remove Silicone/Silastic product. Also many of those are acid cure AFAIK.

If you don't want them to come off in a hurry the SIKAflex is your man.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I ended up using hot glue. I stuck a dab of it to the inside of the lower fairing. Once dried, with a little force it popped right off clean with no evidence of ever being there.

I cut the pieces of mesh to size and then ran a bead of hot glue OVER the mesh which in turn pushed it right through the mesh and fixed it to the inside of eash side fairing. Very simple.

I need to pull the front cowl off next and do the air intake openings.

Time will tell how the hot glue tack method holds up...

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
awiner, is that mesh black? It's hard to tell in the photos and even the actual mesh is hard to see in the non close up shots. The mesh appears to be much finer than the ones I've seen on the kits.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks real good...its pretty easy to fit isn't it?

I was undecided on colour, they all would look great, its gotta be the easiest and most appealing mod for the $'s

PS What rear stand are you using on the MV?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts