MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was making a table to compare the specs of the different F4's for the wikipedia article I've been writing, and the Veltro specs are amazing. The Veltro Pista is only 350 pounds, and the Veltro Strada is 375.

Why is the CC 413 pounds then? Is the Veltro more expensive than the CC?

Some quick math will show that the Veltro Pista is faster than the CC!!!

Pista - 185hp / 350lbs = 0.528 hp/lb
Strada - 185hp / 375lbs = 0.493 hp/lb
CC - 200hp / 412.6 = 0.485 hp/lb

WTF?!? Both Veltros are faster! Of course, peak RPM numbers aren't everything, but I imagine the toque curves are similiar considering they both have TSS.

·
Registered
52 Posts
psperl said:
I was making a table to compare the specs of the different F4's for the wikipedia article I've been writing, and the Veltro specs are amazing. The Veltro Pista is only 350 pounds, and the Veltro Strada is 375.

Why is the CC 413 pounds then? Is the Veltro more expensive than the CC?

Some quick math will show that the Veltro Pista is faster than the CC!!!

Pista - 185hp / 350lbs = 0.528 hp/lb
Strada - 185hp / 375lbs = 0.493 hp/lb
CC - 200hp / 412.6 = 0.485 hp/lb

WTF?!? Both Veltros are faster! Of course, peak RPM numbers aren't everything, but I imagine the toque curves are similiar considering they both have TSS.
It depends on what you mean by faster!

Even if you assume all things are equal (which they are seldom not):

1) It would seems as if the Veltro would accelerate faster than the CC (where hp/lb plays a bigger role).
2) The CC would have a higher top speed than the Veltro (where absolute hp - and aerodynamics - plays a bigger role).

We need someone to buy both so we can test it out :yo:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Allan Gibbs said:
That's because the Veltros are racing bikes where as the CC is a living room bike. ;)
Haha! I'm just a little confused since Claudio kept referring to the CC as a race bike in that letter he sent to the Tamburini owners.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I think what Allan means by 'living room bike' is the majority of purchasers will not actively ride them and he's probably correct :bawling:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Interesting, prompted me to look at weight of the Senna, 418,8lbs, only 6,2 lbs heavier than the CC.... or 2,8Kgs in my language...not much is it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi guys, I'm certainly not meaning to argue the point here just curious on the wieght of the bikes. I have a 750 SP01 which has a complete carbon fiber body kit, TI exhaust and magnesium wheels and my bike weighs 440 lbs. wet. My question is can the addtional mag parts on the bikes lower the wieght that much? Regards, Vern

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
agusta01 said:
Interesting, prompted me to look at weight of the Senna, 418,8lbs, only 6,2 lbs heavier than the CC.... or 2,8Kgs in my language...not much is it!
Well look at it this way. A small bag of Sugar is 5 lbs. Think of how heavy that is when it's resting in your hand....5lbs may seem like a little, but when you're talking about weight LOSS....that's alot.

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Before we get into this we should decide that we are talking about claimed dry weight, or what your bike (or any bike, FTM) weighs when it rolls across the scale, wet with oil and gas.

Manufacturers almost always state "dry" weight, and these sometimes optomistic figures are often referred to as "Claimed Dry Weight", as an indication of their accuracy...Also, what is "Dry"? Is it the combined weight of the parts (no fork oil, no brake fluid, no coolant), or is it ready to roll, assembled less gas and/or oil?

The only thing that really matters is that you are using the same setup between the bikes you are comparing.

Personally, I wish these figures were commonly given after PDI (with all fluids), less gas...That seems fair to me.

Just a thought,

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
twoeleven said:
Before we get into this we should decide that we are talking about claimed dry weight, or what your bike (or any bike, FTM) weighs when it rolls across the scale, wet with oil and gas.

Manufacturers almost always state "dry" weight, and these sometimes optomistic figures are often referred to as "Claimed Dry Weight", as an indication of their accuracy...Also, what is "Dry"? Is it the combined weight of the parts (no fork oil, no brake fluid, no coolant), or is it ready to roll, assembled less gas and/or oil?

The only thing that really matters is that you are using the same setup between the bikes you are comparing.

Personally, I wish these figures were commonly given after PDI (with all fluids), less gas...That seems fair to me.

Just a thought,

Griff
twoeleven
Commonly used in the auto world as 'curb weight'

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
john said:
I think what Allan means by 'living room bike' is the majority of purchasers will not actively ride them and he's probably correct :bawling:
I don't know about you guys but If I had a C.c. I would ride the hell out of it, and have some good pictures in my album of me riding, because it would embarass the hell out of me if people saw what a bike I had and didn't ride it. It's not like we're talking about racing it, a beautiful ride isn't demanding nor dangerous. I would hate to be labled as just a speculator... ride on :moped:

·
Registered
419 Posts
d-_-b Tamburini d-_-b said:
I don't know about you guys but If I had a C.c. I would ride the hell out of it, and have some good pictures in my album of me riding, because it would embarass the hell out of me if people saw what a bike I had and didn't ride it. It's not like we're talking about racing it, a beautiful ride isn't demanding nor dangerous. I would hate to be labled as just a speculator... ride on :moped:
I agree mate! If I had a CC I'd be on it constantly! On the matter of weight when talking about this kind of bike less is more so at a cost of just this side of the national debt of Greece I'd really expect it to be close to the Jap 1000's in weight if not lighter. At 413lbs (186Kgs) it's a bit of a porker and really disappointing (not that I'd say no if someone gave me it as a present or just a ride on one!) but you know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
twoeleven said:

Just a thought,

Griff
twoeleven
Agreed, I remember an article in a UK bike mag where they weighed up the latest 4 Litre bikes at the time and compared against the manufacturer claims...they did a no fluids Vs all fluid except petrol, was a real eye opener, so your suggestion is great, gottta get them to agree to it 'though!!

Same article published the real milage from a tank of gas Vs manufacturer claimed, again huge variances? :)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
agusta01 said:
Agreed, I remember an article in a UK bike mag where they weighed up the latest 4 Litre bikes at the time and compared against the manufacturer claims...they did a no fluids Vs all fluid except petrol, was a real eye opener, so your suggestion is great, gottta get them to agree to it 'though!!

Same article published the real milage from a tank of gas Vs manufacturer claimed, again huge variances? :)

+1, In the MCN article none of the Jap bikes could get within around 18kg (40 lbs) of their claimed weight, "dry" to the japenese includes every fluid, water, battery,fork oil,brake fluid etc etc, they finally said the differences were down to "production tolerances" i.e. the japenese are selecting every componenet by weight to make these claims :jsm: The Ducati in the same test differed by a mere 1kg from claimed weight.

MCN have NEVER, not once, Referred to the test or doubted the Japs weight claims since..........I wonder why?? :stickpoke

·
Registered
409 Posts
great thread . not much i can add other then gearing will be more important whenthings are that close to hp to weight ratio

1 - 18 of 18 Posts