MV Agusta Forum banner

VDSTS Tool

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  beearch2 
#1 ·
Hi,

I found for sale an old VDSTS tool, do you guys know if its possible to get it working with modern Computers?

Seems that it needs an serial port Computer, but is there some other way to use it?

#2 ·
I have one. I purchased it from a forum member. The version I got had a software CD for windows XP. It came with a bunch of cable and cable adapters And was stickered as compatible with MV with a 5sm ecu.
It should have a keyspan connector which is the software key, a serial to USB adapter, and the connectors to connect to the diagnostic connection on the bike.
i have downloaded the software update, which is compatible with windows 7 - 10 according to the Technoresearch site.

I also have downloaded a free diagnostic package called jpdiag which connects to the bike using a cable that I got from lonelec (google it).

The Vdsts has more component testing capabilities. If all you want to do is clear error codes or reset the tps then the free one will do the job.

#13 ·
I have one. I purchased it from a forum member. The version I got had a software CD for windows XP. It came with a bunch of cable and cable adapters And was stickered as compatible with MV with a 5sm ecu.
It should have a keyspan connector which is the software key, a serial to USB adapter, and the connectors to connect to the diagnostic connection on the bike.
i have downloaded the software update, which is compatible with windows 7 - 10 according to the Technoresearch site.
@revhead1957: is it VDST or the Centurion branded software that you have? Have you tried using it with the new Technoresearch software?

I have the Centurion M kit for both IAW and 1.6M as well as for the IAW59 (Duc ECU) that I tried using with Win 10 (via original supplied software as well as downloaded). Nope. Can't connect. Tried a bunch of stuff and I suspect it's due to Win 10.

An email to TS effectively told me to eat dirt and to go find a Win 7 machine. Which is what I've had to do (and currently patiently waiting for delivery).

#4 ·
The 1.6M is also accessible by the VDST.

#6 ·
There is a menu when you plug the system into your bike that has you choose what bike and year. Then it detects the ECU. It works for the 1.6M and the 5SM...at least mine does.

#8 ·
There is a serial port to USB cable that should come with the system. When uploaded to your computer go to their website and ask for the windows 7-10 update.

#10 ·
Serial to USB connectors are readily available... visit your local electronics supply or computer store.

#14 ·
I have the earlier version, which is the VDSTS. Centurion is the later version. They all come from Technoresearch. A couple of ideas:
What ecu are you trying to connect to? Mine is labelled to be used for 5sm ecu only. Each package is licensed for 1 type only.
From my limited computer knowledge and reading, the serial To USB adapter can cause issues. Using generic cable adapters can Also cause issues, Apparently the chip in the adapter must be a genuine ftdi, and the drivers must be a particular type as well. The install instructions said to not allow windows to download the drivers automatically iirc.
The sequence of events when starting the program is clunky too. I always seem to have more success connecting all the cables, opening the program, then turning the ignition on, and waiting patiently for things to settle. By then, it has automatically connected And data is displayed.
Hope that helps.

#16 ·
Just checked out the Technoresearch website. The download for windows 7-10 is now different, and I cannot see if it is compatible with our package.
Do you have the original discs and cables?
The reason I asked about VDSTS vs Centurion is precisely because of the cable/chipset. Seems to me that when Technoresearch went branded they added some magic dust that made the whole thing work much better than the whiteboxed VDSTS product. OK maybe not...(as you rightly point out) they probably just provided a known chipset config rather than leaving users to source their own. I've got the Centurion product (pic below).

I'm trying to connect specifically to a Brutale 1090RR 2010 model (5SM). Strange thing is it worked about 15 months ago on the same bike. Today, zip. I know the all cables work, having connected to various MVs over the years (so no funny business with that). I tried another Win 10 machine (the one used 15 months ago) with an older version but that didn't work either. Checked/rechecked/configured ports, nothing. Installed "updated" software (really just a prettier skin) and still no bueno. Which, after a few choice words, led me to think my current Win 10 config is maybe incompatible. Rather than reverse-engineering Win 10, I think I'll try Win 7 first, as I know it works in that environment.

Centurion came in -M (M for "Magnetti") and was for multi-vehicle use (as long as they used the Magnetti ECU) as well as -S, for single-use. The security dongle works across all 3 cables I have. Pic attached of the two MV cables. Still complete so I should be good to go when the Win 7 PC shows up. I'll likely update this post if it all works!

Wire Cable Electrical wiring Electronics Technology

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.