MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that Yamaha has a variable intake on the R1 and is re-entering superbike, anyone think that Ferraci will install the system from the Tamburini onto their race bikes?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
is that leagal in AMA superbike rules? i don't think so.

besides for homologation, i think the minimum build quantity is 500 units. since the tambo had only 300, it wouldn't qualify anyway.

alex

·
Registered
338 Posts
altoon said:

besides for homologation, i think the minimum build quantity is 500 units. since the tambo had only 300, it wouldn't qualify anyway.

alex
+ Veltro Pista, (23) Veltro Strada, (99) F4CC, (100)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I don't think it's really needed for racing, the idea is to have longer inlets at low rpm's and shorter one's as the rpm's get high, I would imagine on a race bike there are very few times were the revs would drop below 8000ish rpm?
I may be wrong but I think the system is more about getting the best out of all of the rpm range that is more suited to road bikes :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Not sure Mike. Yamaha put it on to "fix" their lack of midrange power, and that they did I guess. I think you're right, if you're tuning for 8000 to 12000 rpm or something, variable length tracts might not make a huge difference...

As for homologation, I'm not sure about the need for 500 bikes. I know one of the series goes by how many total units a manufacturer sells and then adjusts the number of bikes needed for homologation. I don't remember if that is WSB or AMA. The rulebook doesn't have that info.

500 bikes sounds high. I know for damn sure that the Harley VR1000 was not copied 500 times. More like 50.

And you can't take parts off a non homologated bike and put them on a homologated bike, if that part must be "stock". We'll see how variable length intake falls. I'm pretty sure it can't be added now, and probably it will be accomodated only if it comes stock.

·
Registered
150 Posts
altoon said:

alex
It's not correct. as stated in WSBK technical regulations :

2.9.2 Homologation and minimum number of machines manufactured
Superstock: Manufacturers must produce at least 1000 bikes prior to homologation, and roadgoing machines must be on sale within 90 days from the date of the homologation inspection. At least 25 machines must be made available for inspection on this date.
Supersport: Manufacturers who manufacture more than 75,000 motorcycles a year must produce at least 1000 of the bikes for which they are requesting homologation, while manufacturers who manufacture fewer than 75,000 need only produce at least 500. The same rules governing sale and inspection apply in both Superstock and Supersport.
Superbike: Any bike already homologated for Superstock may, on application from the manufacturer, also be homologated for Superbike at any time.
Minimum manufacturing volumes for Superbike are as follows. Manufacturers who manufacture more than 100,000 motorcycles a year must produce at least 500 of the bikes for which they are requesting homologation, while manufacturers who manufacture between 50,000 and 100,000 need only produce 250, and those who manufacture less than 50,000 need only produce 150.

So, since I really don't believe that MV can manufacture more than 50,000 bikes a year the 300 Tamburini are already the double they need to ask homologation. And BTW, note that it's good enough build them, no need to sell them as well, as Petronas and Fogarty knew well: Petronas built 150 frames and asked homologation with only 25 "fully operational" bikes available

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
acruhl said:
Not sure Mike. Yamaha put it on to "fix" their lack of midrange power, and that they did I guess. I think you're right, if you're tuning for 8000 to 12000 rpm or something, variable length tracts might not make a huge difference...
You may well be right, I have just read an article on the new R1, the trigger point for moving the intakes on that is 10,500rpm, so may be it would apply to race stuff as well. :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I don't know about the specific numbers of bikes needed by AMA rules. If the Harley could be let in, then probably anything can be let in if it's a pure numbers game. Harley sells a ton of bikes, and I think they only had to sell like 30 or 50 of them in a country with very lax emissions rules. I think it was Poland?

Anyway, I took a serious look at homologation, because I was looking for a crashed MV1000S race bike. One of my long term goals was to qualify for an AMA race, although I've pretty much given up on that by now. So I was very interested in homologation.

The AMA needs to have a bike sent to it by the official importer so they can measure it and do whatever they need to do in order to know who's cheating and who's not.

So you can't just be a guy who buys the bike and sends it in to the AMA for homologation.

And for whatever reason, MV or Cagiva USA never bothered to do this until now. My guess is it was some way to control image, they didn't want schmoes like me riding around at the back of the pack on a supposedly "superior" bike.

·
Registered
150 Posts
JamesC said:
Hi. They are talking about American 'Superbike' in AMA racing. I think we remember it's legal in WSBK because of all the news about it in 2004 but we're not sure about AMA SBK?
Damn... you're right, maybe for AMA it's different, sorry... :banghead:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts