MV Agusta Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Videos of first oil priming, first firing up and checking for leaks and codes.

Battery (lithium) been sitting so a little sluggish the first go around but you can hear it improve after it warms up. Took a while to fire up due to fuel needing to get to injectors. Oil pressure light went out immediately indicating good pressure. No codes and no leaks.

I forgot the tilt angle sensor connector so had one thing I forgot but easy 5 second fix.

Enjoy the videos.

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks everyone for the positive messages. Very exciting to see it fire up!!! I'm happy that I did a good enough job where nothing seems obviously wrong. It runs nicely with no leaks. Sounds smooth and is begging to be ridden again the way it used to.

Tomorrow I'll give it a 50 mile run and then change the oil and filter. No need for an easy break in or anything like that. I'll change oil while hot so I get the oil completely out.

I should be on schedule for making the Oct 13 track day at Barber!

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Just did first ride and oil change after 60 miles or so. Ran perfectly and I didn't baby it. I was a little rusty on my riding skills but I'll be back after my brain stops focusing on the engine. Engine temps at 3 bars and power exactly where it was before. Running as it should!!

Next I button up the lower fairings and just enjoy the bike again.

I'll also keep a lookout for the newest intake cam.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Barber track day went very well. Bike performed perfectly. Morning sessions were restricted with no passing since it was a first time for me at the track with the STT group. The afternoon was not restricted so that was when the bike was put through its paces. Very happy that the rebuild went this well. Have slight weeping at valve cover but that's just because I didn't have 6 new orings. Easy fix. Will do at next servicing.

The bike is very well suited for the track. There is a reason the F3 is well received be other track day riders. I had no problem keeping pace and had an easy time safely placing slower riders. Many laps I had no one pass me. I wasn't using the lap timer so can't definitively give you a time. I was enjoying myself anyway and that was why I was there!! Mission accomplished!!!

Also, great little meeting we had with some of the other MV Agusta riders. Very cool event and I'm glad to have met all of you.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
And it was great meeting you, although we didn't get to talk much. A great day, let's do it again !!

·
Registered
32 Posts
It was also mentioned in the Motorrad Magazine Youtube Channel for the long term Turismo Veloce review that after certaing long miles (20k and above) the valve guides are prone to failure.

As @brian Gillen states the newer 2018 and above valve guides and springs are retrofittable to all MVs to avoid future damage.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
It was also mentioned in the Motorrad Magazine Youtube Channel for the long term Turismo Veloce review that after certaing long miles (20k and above) the valve guides are prone to failure.

As @brian Gillen states the newer 2018 and above valve guides and springs are retrofittable to all MVs to avoid future damage.
Well they dont sell the valve guides or at least there is no part number so not entirely true. The springs you can, but MV dont answer their emails to tell me if the 2018 springs fit on a 2012 head... There is also a new intake cam that has less extreme lift to aid in valve train longevity and whatever emissions they had to comply with. Again no answer from MV regarding the part number and if we can fit the 2018 cam in our older bikes.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Feel free to message with our friend! MV may not answer ever. I believe the cam, springs and guides are all able to be fit in the older head. Our friend supplied my head with improved valve guides. Its up to me to get a hold of a newer profile cam. Its hard to give up the power characteristics but reliability does have its perks!

Well they dont sell the valve guides or at least there is no part number so not entirely true. The springs you can, but MV dont answer their emails to tell me if the 2018 springs fit on a 2012 head... There is also a new intake cam that has less extreme lift to aid in valve train longevity and whatever emissions they had to comply with. Again no answer from MV regarding the part number and if we can fit the 2018 cam in our older bikes.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Some tire pics from track day at Barber. Ran 31/23 cold with out tire warmers. Was 77 degrees in the afternoon. I feel like it did flawlessly. Not sure if you can see anything since it looks like a layer of track rubber and debris is on the whole thing.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
Looks like you could have let the rear down a couple more PSI.... I ended up at 29 rear 26 front and tires were wearing very well (Dunlop Q4). Rear was cold tearing like yours at 32

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
I'm guessing that you are referring to the sides (slick areas)? I don't have tire warmers. The sportbiketracktire.com guy said it would cold tear but did recommend 31 f and 23 rear. I got these tires in the peak of summer and since I lost a month in the summer they still had plenty of miles left. Didn't think it would be as cold as it was in the mornings but at least the afternoon warmed up some. I'll be thinking about tire warmers for next year!

Question though. I think this is a hot tear situation, not a cold tear. I can not get a fingernail underneath the rubber clumps and there is no cut in the rubber. It does have clumps which according to dave moss tuning is a hot tear. Based on that it would appear that I need to run a higher tire pressure and not lower?

Any other eyes out there that can give insight on what my tires did? Feel free to provide feedback.

A friend I ride with ran the Q4 as well. He seemed happy with them on the ZX10R. He's a fast rider in intermediate group. Did you use warmers?

Looks like you could have let the rear down a couple more PSI.... I ended up at 29 rear 26 front and tires were wearing very well (Dunlop Q4). Rear was cold tearing like yours at 32

61 - 80 of 104 Posts