MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm in Australia.
I'm at 52,000km and about to do a major service including the valve shims. I've got the manuals. Any tips for doing this job and where to buy the shim kits?

Cheers

Sent from my ASUS_X00QD using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
19,823 Posts
Read the manual. Don't try any short cuts. Check the clearances first using a "Go - No Go" method.

That is: Smallest clearance feeler gauge should "Go" with no effort. Largest clearance feeler gauge should "Not Go" without forcing it.

If any accept the Largest with ease or you cannot get the smallest in without force (basically opening the valve with the feeler gauge), then you will need to swap out shims.

Lots of threads on this subject including a recent one that went into great depth.

Break loose all cam cap bolts first by rotating the cam lobes so there is no valve spring pressure on the bolts you are loosening. Once they have all been broken loose you can proceed with removing as per manual. Use a GOOD allen socket !!!! tight fit is important.

Shims are the same size as many Japanese bikes. Take one in to your local Hon-Kaw-Suz-Yam dealer and ask if they will swap for you, or sell you the sizes you need......or buy a kit on-line.

Do some search in the forum and all will be revealed.

·
Registered
847 Posts
OMG i am right in the middle of one right now. I am experiencing a drastic learning curve, and loving it.. sorta. It kinda hurts but feels good too. If you are not up for pain and frustration and have deep pockets, pay someone to do it! If you are like me, a working class bloke who has a masochistic side, then GO FOR IT! See my posts! Excuse me and Silent service among others have been very helpful and supportive in this 4 month and on going Valve Clearance and shim replacement adventure!!

·
Administrator
19,823 Posts
KAWASAKI Shims fit
Different Kawasakis use different shim sizes. The Kawasaki shims also happen to be the same as Suzuki GSX-R... If it is the right model ....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the tips... I'm also one of those masochist types

Sent from my ASUS_X00QD using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts