MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is due a service at 8500 miles I spoke to two dealers today and both gave different answers. One said they don't need checking and the other did can some one shed some light as there is a bit of a difference in the cost of the service. I need this as I want to keep the book stamped up. Thanks.

·
Vendor
5,332 Posts
My bike is due a service at 8500 miles I spoke to two dealers today and both gave different answers. One said they don't need checking and the other did can some one shed some light as there is a bit of a difference in the cost of the service. I need this as I want to keep the book stamped up. Thanks.
Manual says 12,000kms or 7,500mls so yes they are due to be checked.

·
Administrator
19,817 Posts
Checking is not a big job, and they will likely all be in spec. Adjusting is when the big $$$ come in to play.

Mine have been in spec every time I checked. 4 times now.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Chris at x bikes did mine and the price was very reasonable, they take the frame from the engine so as to give plenty of clearance to get those cams out. I think you cant beat the experience chris and his crew have in dealing with this job as they are well practiced at it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
12,000 km valve check and plug change too. I'll need an air filter change as well. High maintenance baby.

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
wtf???????

you geniuses don't have a clue.......

you going to change the drive chain at 7,500mi because the manual says so??????

you're really going to get bent over at 22,400mi

timing chain, chain guides, chain tensioner, front wheel bearings, REAR HUB etc

and another set of plugs too :naughty::naughty:

my '08 Brutale 910R has 32,000mi

I never looked at the valves......

the chain was adjusted 20,000mi ago its in exactly the same spot......it never gets

lubed .....sprayed with WD-40 and wiped down that's it

the front pads EBC HH are ~50% worn......stock Brembo POS go 8,000mi on my Aprilia

RSVR

rears went 2,000mi ago

failures;

burned out 2 low beam bulbs

screw fell ot of the front brake light switch

battery lasted 8 years

best thing you can do for your MV?

reduce the pinch bolt torque to 15lbft/20Nm

I TESTED the torque values that distort the 3810-2RS bearing nobody else did, I

repeated each test 5 times

·
Registered
188 Posts
you geniuses don't have a clue.......

you going to change the drive chain at 7,500mi because the manual says so??????

you're really going to get bent over at 22,400mi

timing chain, chain guides, chain tensioner, front wheel bearings, REAR HUB etc

and another set of plugs too :naughty::naughty:

my '08 Brutale 910R has 32,000mi

I never looked at the valves......

the chain was adjusted 20,000mi ago its in exactly the same spot......it never gets

lubed .....sprayed with WD-40 and wiped down that's it

the front pads EBC HH are ~50% worn......stock Brembo POS go 8,000mi on my Aprilia

RSVR

rears went 2,000mi ago

failures;

burned out 2 low beam bulbs

screw fell ot of the front brake light switch

battery lasted 8 years

best thing you can do for your MV?

reduce the pinch bolt torque to 15lbft/20Nm

I TESTED the torque values that distort the 3810-2RS bearing nobody else did, I

repeated each test 5 times
What if the valves are out of spec.

·
Super Moderator
22,319 Posts
Then it won't start.

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
?

What if the valves are out of spec.
My friend Felix da Cat on the Aprilia Forum at last report has 140,000 km. Valves still in

spec......and they're bigger, heavier valves......

I like Chuck's answer

:popcorn:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Dumb question?

Wouldn't pulling the plugs and doing a simple compression and leak down tests @ 7500 mi /12,000km tell you if the top end is ok? Seems less evasive than breaking the seal on the rocker cover and breaking out the feeler guages etc.

·
Registered
666 Posts
not sure what you can expect if the engine is cold. what if the exhaust is 0.006 and it should be 0.012? no leak but still out of spec. no question is stupid only the answer. how else can we learn? valid question!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Leak down test would only tell us part of the story, won't know if your losing valve lift.

So maybe thats my answer

·
Super Moderator
22,319 Posts
Out of spec is one thing.
As the valve train wears the result is a valve that remains slightly open...or simply not tightly shut. That is when you will have hard starting issues. A good sign that it is time for an adjustment.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Chuck I agree . the example I used was actual clearances on an L twin engine I have from new which had always popping on de-acceleration in the exhaust. now no popping and smoother from idle to 4K rpm.

thinking about this you should be able to see this with vacuum gauges

1 - 17 of 17 Posts