MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you check www.MVAgustaUSA.com, the prices are listed for the Brutale 1078 and the F4 1078.

MV Agusta Brutale 1078 RR MSRP: 16,995

MV Agusta F4 RR 312 1078 MSRP: 24,995

Both state: "Coming Spring/Summer 2009"

Sorry if this is a re-post!

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
as of 11th April 2009
conversion figures;

MV Agusta Brutale 1078 RR MSRP: 16,995 = £11,597.91

MV Agusta F4 RR 312 1078 MSRP: 24,995 = £17,057.36

not very often you find things more expensive in USA than U.K.

·
Registered
152 Posts
as of 11th April 2009
conversion figures;

MV Agusta Brutale 1078 RR MSRP: 16,995 = £11,597.91

MV Agusta F4 RR 312 1078 MSRP: 24,995 = £17,057.36

not very often you find things more expensive in USA than U.K.

Strangely the Brutale is a lot more expensive in the UK than in the USA at MRRP £13999.

While the F4 is very slightly cheaper in the UK at £16799 for the mono and £16999 for the biposto.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Here's a question: you can call me a noob later if you'd like, but I happen to be very good at the negotiation process when it comes to new cars (read: ex-car salesman). I hear mixed responses, though, when I talk to other riders about negotiating on motorcycles, especially on something like a 1078RR.

There's one rumor I've heard, that if you looked at the invoice a dealership paid for these bikes, you'd laugh! Apparently it's next to nothing, and there's just a stigma of negotiationless sales in the bike world. This wouldn't bother me so much, I only to know what I was getting into. I saw a lot of my old car clients get royally losses when they thought they were being ripped off, even when they weren't! It's a comfort thing, ya know?

I've also talked myself into this notion that, although I've had my security deposit down at the dealer for almost a year now, if I were to ask for a discount on the bike there would be 100 schmicks behind me who would happily pay sticker for this thing, especially in the Los Angeles area! I mean, Batman drives an MV for god sakes! Who the h'll am I to try to negotiate with these guys?!

So that's where I stand. Anybody know some tricks? Some insight? I've heard things like "make sure you get an extended warranty, parts, etc thrown in". Hell, I'd be happy with a cherry coke at this point, but sure I'll be pissed come the first $1,000+ service!

- J.

·
Registered
363 Posts
i paid £15,800 for my f4 1078 in August 08...i paid £13,000 for my brutale 1078 December 09.
And DESSIE, did you really need both the 1078 F4 and Brutale?! Jesus, man! Save some for the rest of us!

Now I know why I've waited so long in California for mine! They're getting snaked off the line by the locals with €uros! :conveyer:

- J.

·
Administrator
20,371 Posts
Here's a question: you can call me a noob later if you'd like, but I happen to be very good at the negotiation process when it comes to new cars (read: ex-car salesman). I hear mixed responses, though, when I talk to other riders about negotiating on motorcycles, especially on something like a 1078RR.

There's one rumor I've heard, that if you looked at the invoice a dealership paid for these bikes, you'd laugh! Apparently it's next to nothing, and there's just a stigma of negotiationless sales in the bike world.
- J.

Actually, motorcycle dealers see (on average) about 15% margin on most bikes. Some more pricey bikes have only 10% margin. MV have notoriously low margins. So the MSRP of $15000 would be dealer invoice of maybe $13500. Then he gets hit for shipping and he has to pay a technician to uncrate, assemble and prep it. The distributor (MVAgustaUSA in this case) have much higher margins, but they have to to cover their operating costs and stay in business.

There are usually retail incentives or market incentives available for slow moving product that may give the salesman $50 or so, and on really slow moving stuff the dealer's incentives could be as much as $500. This won't apply to new MV's, but it certainly did with the left over F4s as can be read about many places on this site, where the incentives were in the thousands of dollars.

Usually the dealer gets some tiny percentage of invoice price for co-op advertising use (not cash in his pocket), and there may be some small percentage of retail reserve that he can get after a sales period if he makes his targets.

The short answer is...it isn't the auto business, and you probably won't get far trying to push down price on a new model MV.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Great info, esq'z. Thanks for that. Not the "oh yeah, hit 'em where it hurts" that I was hoping for, but moreso what I expected.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Great info, esq'z. Thanks for that. Not the "oh yeah, hit 'em where it hurts" that I was hoping for, but moreso what I expected.

You might be better off asking for discounts on "stuff" for the bike, rather than the bike itself.

I also believe that you need to have a relationship with your tech, rather than just trying to get the very cheapest price on the bike itself, accept that you will pay a bit more but have a good dealer, with good service.

Remember when riding at 70+mph down a highway, do you trust your tech or not?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I didn't try to negotiate a lower price but the dealer offered no shipping or setup charges if I did a pre-order. That was back in March. I've been told the US delivery might be in May, then June and now July. I've also been politely rebuked for contacting Cagiva USA directly to try and get a straight answer on when. :D

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I didn't try to negotiate a lower price but the dealer offered no shipping or setup charges if I did a pre-order. That was back in March. I've been told the US delivery might be in May, then June and now July. I've also been politely rebuked for contacting Cagiva USA directly to try and get a straight answer on when. :D

lol well atleast you cant say the dealer lied about the delivery date!

·
Administrator
20,371 Posts
You might be better off asking for discounts on "stuff" for the bike, rather than the bike itself.
Accessories and apparel generally have 40~50% margins. Don't beat the bike price down, but go for discounts on a new helmet or gloves or other stuff like that....ask for the first service included...something where the dealer has some margin to work against. That's your best bet.

And as Dova says...pay more to buy from a dealer you trust so you can expect good service in the future. Paying a discounted price to some guy out of your area just to save a few bucks and then showing up at the premier dealer near you looking for warranty work is a lose-lose situation.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Oh I completely agree with choosing wisely where you buy the bike. I like what you guys have said about going for any sort of "discounts" my means of parts and accessories, which I for one have seen the margins first hand on. Now it's just a matter of finding all the things I want, and finding the money to ... say ... purchase a new bike AND a butt'load of new gear! :wtf:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts