MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of upgrading my tires for my next trackday to a slick. For the past 5 years I've been using and trust Dunlop 211gpa or the UK 211ntec. I am considering Dunlop Superbike ntec slick or the Diablo Superbike Pro slick as they are both reasonably priced...especially since Dunlop released their new 212's and slicks.

I just wanted input from riders who have tried these tires and how much does it differ from the tire I use now in regards to grip and feel. What characteristics does each slick have? I've read the reviews and what each manufacturer claims, but have no real comparison when coming from a DOT (street legal) tire.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Ntec is a proper race tyre. The Superbike Pro is a trackday tyre.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
No racing for me. I will be getting a set for track days only. I can get a set of superbike pro's for $368 and the ntec slick set for $379, a $11 difference. Just want to get the best bang for the buck. I run mid pack in the B group (intermediate).

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
No racing for me. I will be getting a set for track days only. I can get a set of superbike pro's for $368 and the ntec slick set for $379, a $11 difference. Just want to get the best bang for the buck. I run mid pack in the B group (intermediate).

Mate for 11 buck difference go the ntec you wont be dissapointed and you will probably go faster

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
The UK N-Tec is in a league of it's own, and I would not recommend that for track days, pretty sure it will cost a lot more than the USA 211gpa also.
For your purpose and considering heat cycles, I'd go with the Superbike Pro's.

·
Super Moderator
22,046 Posts
Another for Superbike Pro's. Just maintain the recommended pressure to make them work consistently.
...and just what is the recommended pressure?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found this on one suppliers website..tire pressures

...and just what is the recommended pressure?
Pirelli Diablo Superbike Pro Pressure Information: use warmers for 60 minutes and set front to 32psi and rear to 25psi. These are good starting points. Riders looking for more feel out of the front can increase to as high as 36 psi hot. Riders looking for more grip and more side bump absorbsion might want to drop to 31psi front. 25 is a good starting point for the rear but riders looking for more stability or durability can raise the rear to 27psi hot. Always stay below 30psi rear and if riders are complaining about spinning, sliding, etc try lowering pressure to around 24-25.

·
Super Moderator
22,046 Posts
Thanks for that!

·
Registered
988 Posts
I've tried both tyres :) I absolutely loved the Dunlop D211's slicks. They matched my riding style and ability better than the Pirelli's. Confidence inspiring. I slipped and slid on the Pirelli's, not confidence inspiring.
IMHO - If your budget conscious, longevity wise, take the Pirelli's and see how they feel. For a spirited ride with confidence, take the Dunlop.
I'd try both, then stick with what works best for you ;)

I tried the new Dunlop KR108 and 106. Absolutely fantastic. Only lasted a day, but what grip! Check out what Phillip Island did to the left hand side of the tyre :jsm:

20140613_130431 - Copy.jpg

KR108 - Copy.jpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much more grip, if any more grip, would superbike pro's have over what I'm currently running?..which are Dunlop 211 ntecs med front, med+ rear. I've heard that that 211's are basically a Dunlop slick with tread to make it DOT for supersport racing. Not sure if that is true or not.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hi Brutale 1078, I am no expert on this, pure amateur in fact. I have no formal training on tyres or suspension. I try to learn from here and at tracks.
Do you use tyre warmers? If I remember correctly, part of the sales blurb on the Pirelli's was that didn't need a tyre warmer. Their special compound had a naturally quick warm up period. This would mean, I think, in all probability, would take more heat cycles that a true racing slick compound. If the D 211'S you use now, are the same compound as the slick type, which I agree, I think they are also, if you don't use tyre warmers, you will loose rubber through cold tearing with out a tyre warmer. I think the Dunlop's are a softer compound, and if you don't use tyre warmers, they are going to go through more heat cycles, release more silicon oil, and get harder more quickly than the Pirelli. I think a Pirelli off the tyre warmer would last longer than the Dunlop, wear wise, but would not provide the same amount of grip when compared to a hot Dunlop. Tyre profile counts, and I can't remember if they share the same profiles. Suspension settings and tyre pressures also make a difference in perceived grip levels.
Either way, they're both great tyres, and unless your fighting for sponsorship dollars, race points, and riding on the absolute edge every lap, the difference between them is of only little difference.
How do you quantitatively judge? Lap times, feel/confidence, tyre wear, longevity? If your suspension is out, your already compromising the results.
Anyway, I would experiment. See which one's you like, and learn to understand the nuances between set ups. As always, if someone knows better, please chip in so we can all learn.
Most of all, have fun, sounds like your having a ball, getting quicker, and will be riding balls out soon enough, safely :drummer:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will be sticking to D211 for my next track day. I am very comfortable with the feel from the D211 and usually get 3 trackdays out of them with the use of tire warmers. I am nowhere fast enough to wear them out in one day. I will be definitely be working with the suspension on my next trackday at Laguna Seca on the 21rst. Probaly gonna soften it up a bit, Had to stiffen it up for Sonoma raceway due to all the hard braking areas. Gonna decide what slick to get after this next trackday. Thanks to everyone for all the input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts