MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'd like some thoughts/feedback on this 850SS. I do understand (Walker writes) that the 850SS/Monza/Boxer had 27mm Dell'Ortos, but this machine uses the same 26mm VHB pumpers as the America. Otherwise, it completely checks out as a 850SS. Documented by the MV/UK club too, I believe.

The owner in Phoenix is listing it for sale.

Some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts
Welcome to the site VMOL

There are others on this site better able to talk about the 850 MV than I, but I will say that I've a road-test reprint (..by Classic Bike magazine, of June 1997) in which they state that their particular (Kansas based) 850SS wears 26mm square-bodied Dell Ortos. The writer claims that on European 850SS/Monzas, 27mm carbs were specified.

Nice looking bike, BTW!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Very nice:mouthwate. What's the asking price?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think this is the same bike which was advertised a couple of years ago on the UK Owners Club web site. Not sure if it sold at that time, or whether it's the same chap who's selling now (..although it was then in Phoenix). It's covered only 48 miles since May 2008! E-mail address, but no price given.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi everyone,

I'm not the owner; I'm a motorcycle journalist from Arizona. The owner is a friend who contacted me to shoot the MV then show the bike in several places to gauge interest. We're in the process of researching ownership history (he believes he's the fourth owner) and have a starting price of $75.000.

I may be mistaken, but research does indicate that (most? Many?) of the 850 SS' sold in the USA retained the 750S America 26mm bellcrank carbs and mounting because it needed an airbox to sell legally. I am in the process of digging up my old research and contacts.

The mileage seems legit. I can vouch for the condition personally. I haven't seen an original MV that's better. It's pretty remarkable.

My email is: [email protected]sonline.com

...feel free to contact me with additional questions. I plan on doing more than spamming the MV list here...I don't have an MV (and likely won't) but have a healthy respect. I ride Guzzi and Triumph.

Take care all, and thanks for the feedback-

Nolan

·
Registered
576 Posts
'I may be mistaken, but research does indicate that (most? Many?) of the 850 SS' sold in the USA retained the 750S America 26mm bellcrank carbs and mounting because it needed an airbox to sell legally.'

Spot-on.......exactly as it should be. UK and other markets had horrible black plastic bellmouths (now a very rare item). There also NOT pumpers, just standard VHB's.

Looks like it could do with a bit of re-commissioning, but don't they all!! A very nice original machine with just a few non original items.

Cheers

Dorian.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts