MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question, When is the right time to upgrade?

I purchased my MV F4 black in Jan 2012, new 2011 compliance, in 12 months ive put 20000k's on it. How many K's will the bike do?

My previous bike i purchased in 2004, new a GSXR1000 and got 70000k's with no issues at all, only one chain and sprocket set change.

Is it worth upgrading to the 2012 or 2013, just for electronics? Oh and not to forget daytime running lights? wow big deal, MV?

What would it be worth to sell with 12 months still on the warranty?

Ok any ideas would be good..Oh and its a much better bike than the GSXR and the R1 i used to own that someone wanted more than me!! bastards.. :banghead:

:f4:

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Mate, there's guys on here with more than 70k on their MV's, good to see you getting out and riding the thing.
If I where you, and I assume you have the non Corsa Corta motor? I would have a go at it, money permitted of course.
There is more to the new bike, other than the electronics, I like the daytime running light's.
Can't wait to see the new bikes in real life, any idea when they will hit Aus.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
fal mate i have done over 100 k on mine its a 2006 910 s riden hard, serviced regular
i am very happy with it so far,. i wont be upgrading untill i get bored with it approx another 10yrs
upgradeing is more a personal choice than a time or date

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey thanks Donsy, and col, the bike is my daily drive, and has never missed a beat, apart from a bit of fairing warping that is common. The bike rarely gets over 6k rpm, so not too much stress on my bikes, lots of low speed, good to see others live on their bikes as well, just had the dealer saying If I wanted to keep some value in the bike I should trade it now before the k's are too high..I saw the new bikes have less torque, more bhp at a higher rpm, wouldn't his be worst for city runs?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Falzon with regular maintinance and periotic valve adjustments Ive seen roughly 15 bikes with over 200,000 miles on them and all still ran well. Today ven Harley Davidsons run 100,000 before needing a top end tear down . And a Harley being a 45 degree twin is tough on itself . Those big heavy pistons rise and fall together which beats the hell out of an engine.
You have many more miles to go .

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
The bike rarely gets over 6k rpm, so not too much stress on my bikes, lots of low speed,
You need to rev your bike more, mine see more revs than that from brand new. Low revs are very stressful if you're lugging the motor :drummer:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Col.. 100k GOOD MAN . Nice to see someone using there bike to its fullest .
but it has taken 7 yrs to get that 100k but finaly the engine is run in time to disconnect the rev limiter lol

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Falzon with regular maintinance and periotic valve adjustments Ive seen roughly 15 bikes with over 200,000 miles on them and all still ran well. Today ven Harley Davidsons run 100,000 before needing a top end tear down . And a Harley being a 45 degree twin is tough on itself . Those big heavy pistons rise and fall together which beats the hell out of an engine.
You have many more miles to go .
Indeed. My 97 Fatboy with every single performance mod available is running strong at 90k+ on it. The only problems I have had are starter motors because of the high compression. :)

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
You need to rev your bike more, mine see more revs than that from brand new. Low revs are very stressful if you're lugging the motor :drummer:
Have to agree. The F4 loves to scream. I often feel bad for mine as I run out of road well before it runs out of scream. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I'm guessing by the replies I should keep it, rev it more, and maintain the top end! No need to upgrade to shorter stroke motor and more electronics! I do rev it more try and sit on 4 k when cruising. Tend to short change though when commuting at 5 to 6k, also has anyone got an idea what the running temp gauge is, mine seems to run most days 1 to 2 bars over the first line, and sometimes 4 bars over.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
zFalzone trail tech makes a digital water temp gauge thats roughly 1 inch by 2 inches and can be mounted easily on your inner fairng panels. cost is only 20-25$ on ebay.
Also if your looking for traction control Fg Gubilinni makes 2 units. A manuel setting type called .. Grip One and an automatic type called the Grip one Pro which re adjusts/micro adjusts to your riding style and conditions like 5000 times a second or some ridiculous figure like that . The manual unit is around 900$ and the pro unit is arund 1200$ . Both are better than the stock MV unit.
Sorry I can help you with the short stroke but hell, you get more torque at low rpm with the longer stroke .

PS just remembered, If you need a fueler , you might be able to go with a bazzaz fueler. They have an traction control and quick shifter option .I said might because when I got the bazzaz unit for my Ducati 1198 last May the MV unit wasnt out yet but was slated to be on the market by november/December at a cost of 800$

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
So Jake

zFalzone trail tech makes a digital water temp gauge thats roughly 1 inch by 2 inches and can be mounted easily on your inner fairng panels. cost is only 20-25$ on ebay.
Also if your looking for traction control Fg Gubilinni makes 2 units. A manuel setting type called .. Grip One and an automatic type called the Grip one Pro which re adjusts/micro adjusts to your riding style and conditions like 5000 times a second or some ridiculous figure like that . The manual unit is around 900$ and the pro unit is arund 1200$ . Both are better than the stock MV unit.
Sorry I can help you with the short stroke but hell, you get more torque at low rpm with the longer stroke .

PS just remembered, If you need a fueler , you might be able to go with a bazzaz fueler. They have an traction control and quick shifter option .I said might because when I got the bazzaz unit for my Ducati 1198 last May the MV unit wasnt out yet but was slated to be on the market by november/December at a cost of 800$
You keep going on about this Traction Control from Gubillini, and I like that, but.....do they make any of it to work on any MV models ?

Here is one that can go on the MV's, theres a member here on the forum who installed this on his Dad's Brutale I believe.

http://www.evolutionbike.it/mvagustastore/index.php/engine-tuning/f4before2010/irc/pscmv.html

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey not that worried about traction control, just really wanted to know if 20000k's was a lot on an MV and how it would stand up. or should and is it worth upgrading for the little extras??

Paul :f4:

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Hey not that worried about traction control, just really wanted to know if 20000k's was a lot on an MV and how it would stand up. or should and is it worth upgrading for the little extras??

Paul :f4:
Lots of people including myself are still running first and second gen MV's if that gives you any idea. My 2002 has proven to just as reliable as my Yamaha R6 for every day road use. I don't think you will have any major issues out of yours for at least a few decades.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts