MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All -- looking at upgrading my 2005 F4 Brutale (10,000klms') to 2013 Brutale 1090RR(1000 klm's).
I have just ironed out all the "Bugs" on my F4 ie:
--Rear hub replaced (Mitch's hub)
--Cam chain tensioner
--Fuel lines
--ECU Replaced etc etc

My main concern is that I do not want to start from scratch so the main question is on reliability and has there been improvements to overheating issues and fuel consumption?

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Welcome to the forum Geoff. Just a few things to clear up to avoid confusion. I imagine that you're riding an naked MV, therefore a Brutale. The F4 is as I imagine you know a fully faired MV.
The Brutale shared many of the F4's part and therefore the F4 signs and cast's all over your Brutale or B4 for short. I know in some Countries even the licensing referred to the Brutale's as an F4 B4.

If you have a read through the forum in the 4 cylinder sections as well as in the B4 section, you will find lots of comments on the 1090 1090R and 1090RR.

I thing you will be well pleased with the RR, good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Donsy --Thanks for the reply, yes bike is a Brutale I refer to it as an F4 as this is what they are listed under on bikesales. Bike has been great and love riding it apart from the few hiccups I have had. It only has 10,000K's on it but would love to upgrade to get that bit of extra punch and upgraded electronics. Main concern is spending extra $$$ and ending up with a heap of reliability issues.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a 2010 1090RR that I bought new at the beginning of 2012. The reliability hasn't been great but none of the problems I have encountered thus far have been as serious as the ones you described above, in my opinion.

When I went to pick the bike up, the crankcase cover was weeping oil due to an incorrectly installed gasket at the factory. Within the first few months of riding the alternator failed. It was replaced with an updated unit and has been fault free. The stock battery quickly discharged even with regular riding so I replaced it with a higher quality item. I also keep the bike on a battery tender which I would also recommend. Recently, I got a leak in the radiator, not sure why, stress due to vibration or maybe a stray rock hit it just right.

All problems have been covered under warranty thankfully.

I have done about 5k+ miles and 13 track days on the bike so far. The motor has been great, not eating oil, no chips in the oil, awesome mid-range power. The suspension has also worked very well, still feels fresh. The RR comes with a slipper clutch which is a welcome addition over the R, as well as nice forged wheels.

I don't use the traction control and my bike does not have ABS. From what I have read, the MV electronics package is somewhat lacking.

Great bike and I would recommend it, provided the person in question has owned an Italian bike before.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Drewbres, that is a sweet looking bike you have there! Thanks for the info, going to check the bike in question this week will let you know how I get on. --Moffatgeoff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bought a 2013 Brutale 1090RR new 8 months ago about 4800 km on clock now. Had issues with the idling at low revs, ended up putting on a full arrow titanium system seems to have helped. Other issue was a broken indicator in mirror.
Other than that awesome bike. Loads of grunt down low and a jap liter eater.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts