MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to those who suggested I try clutchless upshifts! I've been practising them, and now have the pre-loading and throttle control pretty well down pat. Since then, I've never experienced the false neutral problem that I had quite often changing into 6th, and even occasionally into 5th. So, for the others who also mentioned the problem I can heartily recommend it!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sventekoz said:
Thanks to those who suggested I try clutchless upshifts! I've been practising them, and now have the pre-loading and throttle control pretty well down pat. Since then, I've never experienced the false neutral problem that I had quite often changing into 6th, and even occasionally into 5th. So, for the others who also mentioned the problem I can heartily recommend it!
Thats good to hear John, by the way I have phoned Rowan at RG's and he is finding out about the stalling. If you go into the shop just mention that your's does the same and we may get am answer. Hope you are going well.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aussie MV said:
Thats good to hear John, by the way I have phoned Rowan at RG's and he is finding out about the stalling. If you go into the shop just mention that your's does the same and we may get am answer. Hope you are going well.
Yep - good thanks. Hope you're going well too!

Thanks for that. I'll definitely let him know. In the meantime, I'm going to source some of those Iridium plugs and see how they go. With any luck, I'll be able to report a big improvement!

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
really? interesting. you know i've never tried to go clutchless. I suppose i should sort that out.

Haven't had the issue with the missing 6th tho in a while....

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've bought a couple of books on roadcraft and racing techniques (which are great, by the way), and the technique they recommend for clutchless upshifts is pre-loading the gear lever (so it's just before it engages), and then dropping about 25% off the throttle. The pressure makes it snick into place when things are just right. Works well for me...

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
which books exactly?

Rode the brutale today after a coupla weeks. took a bit to start, which scared me a little.

after so much time on the husky, this thing was TOUGH to ride! woops. absolutely no feel with the quasi-off road boots i had on. keep forgetting how close the shifter is....no way in hell i coulda figured out pre-loading the gear lever.... :)

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The books are "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch and "Total Control - High Performance Street Riding Techniques" by Lee Parks. Both have some quite different approaches, but I think both are very good.

Here are some links to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Riding-Techniques-Develop-Confidence/dp/1893618072/sr=8-1/qid=1172319717/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-2973461-6980869?ie=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/Total-Control-Performance-Street-Techniques/dp/0760314039/sr=8-2/qid=1172319717/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-2973461-6980869?ie=UTF8&s=books

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've only done 3,800km, so it's the oil they used at the first service - which I think is Motul 3100 Gold 15W50. Until I can source some Agip in Perth, I'll be using the same when I change the oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts