MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess that says it all ... Rewiring my 350B Sport (6v) and I'd like, if possible, to replace the cable (zip) ties with the same type, which I believe are the originals. As per photo/s, rather than the usual ratchet type, these thin black plastic items are perforated with round holes that fasten over a kind of mushroom head.
Does anyone know of a source for these - or at least something sort-of similar?

·
Administrator
20,750 Posts
If those are original they were probably rubber and have hardened to be more like plastic now.
Sorry, I have no source for you....good luck.

·
Registered
547 Posts
They make these really cool zip ties that are rubber coated that are called a grip ties. Check them out. Maybe they'll work for you maybe they won't.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
G'day Mate,
E-type Jaguars used these. Search the E-type spares lists, I am sure that I have seen plastic bag kits of them for sale on the net.

Ken.

I guess that says it all ... Rewiring my 350B Sport (6v) and I'd like, if possible, to replace the cable (zip) ties with the same type, which I believe are the originals. As per photo/s, rather than the usual ratchet type, these thin black plastic items are perforated with round holes that fasten over a kind of mushroom head.
Does anyone know of a source for these - or at least something sort-of similar?
View attachment 482328

View attachment 482329

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can give you quite a bit of help here as I have found out by trial and error with these on four, 4 cyl MV restorations I have done . Firstly, use a heat gun or hair dryer to remove the originals. get the tie soft and use long nose pliers to pull the small free end over the locating pin. Just take your time. Note where you have taken that particular tie from. When going to replace it put it into hot water and it will straighten out and be pliable ready to stretch back on using the same pliers. You will get a minute or so before the plastic begins to harden.
If you have to replace broken ties then get on to a Jaguar car club or someone who restores Jaguars and they will have these cables in a roll . You can buy a roll but it costs too much and the pins are not included with the tie. I think I have a website or some contact I will try to find if you have to go that way. The ties on this are original and being done presently:-

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not an option if you want original, however some others might read this post too...

I have stopped using standard zip ties or cable ties a good 30 years ago (not just at work), instead I use high temperature lacing cords. much easier if you know how to use it, does not leave any marks and I have 2x 500 yard spools a good 32 years in use by now.

here a link in case someone wants to give it a go.... https://www.eis-inc.com/tapes-lacing-cord-tape/c-ph2215
I randomly picked that link, my stuff came from P&WC ....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fantastic - many thanks to all for your responses (sorry, have been too busy with work to have visited the forum lately). From my own investigations, I have found out that the originals were made by a company called Hellermann; The same company exists today, but now known as HellermannTyton. They have a very similar looking product, two versions, PF 12 at 12 mm wide and PF8 at the more authentic 8 mm wide. Bins appear to now have domed heads, rather than pointed heads. Unfortunately, the product seems to come out of Brazil it is not available in Australia – and there is a minimum order quantity that somewhat outstrips my need of about 1.5 metres’ worth ... I did actually manage to get the originals off, and have put most of them back on – broke two or three in the transition. I’m very keen to follow up on that Jaguar lead, many thanks once again! Will advise the forum if I have any success.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Ian. I have been looking on some Jaguar forums, I am pretty sure that the Jaguar stuff is the real deal, probably the Hellermann product – but most of the Jaguar kit, including this one, are the 12mm product. It appears there is an 8 mm version, which is the one I’ll go for. (I even found someone on a Jaguar forum complaining of being sent stuff that was too narrow)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks, Ian. I have been looking on some Jaguar forums, I am pretty sure that the Jaguar stuff is the real deal, probably the Hellermann product – but most of the Jaguar kit, including this one, are the 12mm product. It appears there is an 8 mm version, which is the one I’ll go for. (I even found someone on a Jaguar forum complaining of being sent stuff that was too narrow)
How much are they charging and for what quantity?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much are they charging and for what quantity?
Various prices, rasobale like GBP10 for a kit - but I've sent a couple of emails and (despite misleading photos) all they seem to stock is the correct stuff for Jags, ie 12mm. I still have a couple of other irons in the fire, though ...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Various prices, rasobale like GBP10 for a kit - but I've sent a couple of emails and (despite misleading photos) all they seem to stock is the correct stuff for Jags, ie 12mm. I still have a couple of other irons in the fire, though ...
Keep us up to date with how you go. Cheers
Ian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts