MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my F4 for it's first MOT yesterday. For those members in the rest of the globe that is a Ministry of Transport annual exam to check the roadworthiness of your Bike/car and is a legal requirement here for every motor vehicle used on the road more than 3 years old.

Many of you will be aware than some police forces have cracked down on registration plates which do not meet the regulations regarding size of Letters/Numbers and the plate's overall size itself, but what you might not be aware of is that irrespective of size, the law now requires that the yellow reflective background of the plate does not have any other image or writing upon it.

I have a plate with the MV logo behind the black numbers and letters. Size wise, it meets the current regulations, but because of the logo the tester said it was now techically an illegal plate and therefore the bike would fail the test with that plate fitted. Apparently a red reflector must also be in place at the rear of the bike, I'd removed the one on the number plate holder!! (Ooopps!)

In my humble opinion it's just another slice of useless beaurocratic nonesense, but technically the Plod can pull you up and fine you. I was totally unaware of this and from the point of view of getting the bike through the test, I have a standard legal plate at home which I can fix to the bike, but I just thought it might save someone here the embarassment of taking what they believe to be a perfectly legal bike for a test and having it fail.

I don't think there's any problem with having a small note or the name of the bike dealership etc. running along the bottom of the plate, I'm referring to the area actually behind the letters and numbers that make up the registration unique to your bike.

·
Registered
273 Posts
having a logo behind the plate has alway been illegal mate. rules have now changed regarding when fitting a new numberplate that there is to be nothing on the plate at all there is a seperate piece off the plate rectangle for advertising etc, but all the required yellow backing has to be virgin apart from the letters and numbers.
With you think its shit and still have my 7x5 plate on my bike did swap at mot but spoke to the tester and told him had a different plate and he said he would pass it. Regards to the reflecter yeah thats true to have a italian flag on the bottom of my plate but didn't have one when i bought it and had just gone thro an mot its all down to the guy who tests it really

·
Registered
417 Posts
to pass an MOT the plate lettering has to be clear and legible

this may be okay for the mot but actually not legal

like wise you dont need a speedo for an MOT but you do to be legal

yes MOT and legal do vary....but the mot tester should advise you what is legal and whats not and not fail your on the mot

the rear reflector is not required for a daytime mot

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
True that lights/red reflector is nor required for day MOT, and you would have to be fairly unlucky to be picked up on that by the police. However, if you were to need to make any insurance claim (including one made against you), the words 'best of luck' come to mind.

It's been the case for years that the plate has to be clear of any patterns or logos. The font has to be the one specified (can't remember the name right now, but if you search for 'Mandatory' font, it's very close and a free download. No italics etc. No extra pictures on the side - Euro symbol and a few other exceptions allowed. You have to have the BS AU 145d mark plus the identity of the supplier of the plate.

Any of these can make it an MOT failure - if the tester can be bothered, or is in the business of selling you another pair to bump up the profits. Discount testers sometimes do this.

All this is was brought in to make ANPR more effective, there is concern in government regarding criminality with illegal plates - and motorcycles with mickey mouse plates have been our worst enemy regarding this.

(Says this ANPR Administrator).

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
Velcro John

remove the small plate for mot and stick on the legal one

velcro works wonders

and on a wild day, just peel of the small numberplate:wtf:

you get fined exactly the same for NO numberplate (one that has fallen off):naughty: as you do for a small numberplate

not that im saying for one minute to ride your bike in the U.K. without a numberplate
as doing that would not be legal:smoking:

but sometimes numberplates do fall off:laughing:

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
pictures gentlemen, pictures.......

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems like I've opened a can of worms. It's interesting to hear everyone's views though; I think in my case PC 49 will pull me for the Ti exhaust volume rather than the reg plate.:wtf: the Pilot Race rear tyre doesn't exactly have a deal of tread on it either,:laughing: ah well what with speed cameras in vans, helicopters etc. perhaps I should just go out and buy a microlite aircraft instead of the bike.............:banghead:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Not in the UK, but have to ask .....

Here in the states (Canada, Mexico, too I think) the gov't simply makes the plate and hands it to you when you register the bike. End of story. Congrats, sir - you are now CX 599 or whatever ... Some states (California) keep the plate with the bike, others (Arkansas) keep the plate with the registered owner, to put on his next machine.

Are you telling me you have to get a number, and then go out and have the plate made to match it? :wtf: If so, that seems just a tad bit inefficient ..... of course there will discrepancies if there is more than one source ....

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Live here ........ no MOT ....... Sorry....

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
There was a neat article in a recent T.W.O. magazine (two wheels only) which had the journo hanging out with the fuzz and seeing what they do and do not look for when pulling people over. Thought it was pretty interesting.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re your query bmwone :

The number stays with the bike (or car) for the whole of it's lifetime in the majority of cases. When a bike (or car) is purchased new, the dealer selling the vehicle registers with a government organisation called the DVLA (Driver, Vehicle Licencing Authority). They issue a registration number (Number and letter combo actually) together with a Registration document which is forwarded to the purchaser of the vehicle (i.e. You). Once the registration number has been issued, the dealer usually makes up the plates themselves and fits them to the vehicle before you can ride (or drive) it away.

I said the number stays with the vehicle throughout it's life in the majority of cases because as always there are exceptions.

If you are feeling flush with money, you can purchase a registration that has specific meaning for you, e.g. MVA 1000, or your name e.g TOM 125. There is a whole industry here in the UK geared to buying and selling what is referred to as Private registration numbers. You can then transfer (for a fee) your plate from vehicle to vehicle if you wish or sell it with the bike (or car).

I recall there's a guy on here recently with a MV related plate for sale.

·
Registered
152 Posts
One strange anomaly in the regs allows a 6 character reg number to have a tiny (compared to the UK normal bike plate) of
6.5"x6.5". Looks totally illegal on the bike but is 100% legal.Strange but true.Will post a pic of mine so you can see the difference.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I've never noticed anything about the total size of the plate. There are loads of statutory measurements - size of characters, spaces, borders etc - just add them all together for the total size. More here, if you're really bored:
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/displayofnumberplates.pdf

One thing, a straight line plate is always illegal on a bike, it has to be a 2 line (older bikes can have 3 lines). A single straight line of text is a straightforward offence for any cop on enforcement campaign (usually held in the middle of what we call summer).

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Pay attention, Randy.

We're next.
You live in CT, I live in GA. We barely speak the same language Carl.......:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts