MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the UK Winter is fast approaching and the Dragsters will probably not be run again until 2020, I have a few questions;

1) Is it possible to cut the 2 pin 230 Volt plug off the lead to the MV battery tender and replace it with a 3 pin UK plug? (reason for asking; is that the 2 pin plugs do not sit tightly in 3 to 2 pin adapters that we have)

2) If it is possible, I am guessing that there are only 2 wires: 1 wire for Live and 1 wire for Neutral?

3) Does it matter which wire goes to which terminal (Live or Neutral) in the 3 pin plug?

4) What amperage fuse will be required for a 3 pin UK plug?

5) Will the MV battery tenders need to be left connected and switched on, from now until we run the bikes again?

6) Are MV battery tenders up for the job, or would it be recommend to purchase a different type?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Before cutting, why not consider a 'travel plug' so you can preserve your MV product?

Example here: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8492225
Hello Nigel

That is a fair point, but we are already trying to use something like these
https://www.toolstation.com/adaptor...MI8dD68qaX5QIVixnTCh0UsAoMEAQYASABEgLRofD_BwE

but they do not fit well enough (ie the 2 pins are loose in the adapter and are prone to falling out ).

I have noticed in one of your photographs, that you have posted, you have a battery tender on yours. Is that an MV tender and is it on constantly?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Hello Nigel . . . I have noticed in one of your photographs, that you have posted, you have a battery tender on yours. Is that an MV tender and is it on constantly?

Cheers
I use Oxford Oximisers and Optimates. Got 7 of them. Good product.

Yes, they are left on. No noticeable power drain on bill because they only function when voltage drops to a certain level. You might have noticed my post about the MV tender. Is only 115 Volts so it is now a show piece!:grin2:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
6): 2 winters of periods up to 2 months without looking at the tender.

Battery tender does what it needs to do.

·
Registered
113 Posts
USA plug on that!

Never knew that. I always assumed that those were UK as we use the same voltage here of 230V/50Hz and those are the plugs we use.

·
Administrator
20,772 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
All of a sudden my life is a lie... and I blame @nigelrb.. :stickpoke :grin2::grin2:

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
As the UK Winter is fast approaching and the Dragsters will probably not be run again until 2020, I have a few questions;

1) Is it possible to cut the 2 pin 230 Volt plug off the lead to the MV battery tender and replace it with a 3 pin UK plug? (reason for asking; is that the 2 pin plugs do not sit tightly in 3 to 2 pin adapters that we have)
Yes, just cut it off

2) If it is possible, I am guessing that there are only 2 wires: 1 wire for Live and 1 wire for Neutral?
Correct, only live and neutral no earth, its double insulated so no need for the earth

3) Does it matter which wire goes to which terminal (Live or Neutral) in the 3 pin plug?
Nope, either way will work it's AC, so the voltage swings on each pin relative to the other.

4) What amperage fuse will be required for a 3 pin UK plug?
Try a 3A, if you look on the tender, it will tell you the wattage or amperage. If its in watts divide the number by 230 that's the Amperage fuse you need, go for the next fuse rating above this number, e.g 3 or 5

Remember if you use an EU to UK adapter there would be no fuse and you would reply on the internal fuse(s)

5) Will the MV battery tenders need to be left connected and switched on, from now until we run the bikes again
Yes, connect up and forget

6) Are MV battery tenders up for the job, or would it be recommend to purchase a different type?
I use an optimate for the lithium battery fitted. I used the MV one for 3 years with the original battery without issues.

Reactions: Paul.K and MarkF4RR

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Perfect dansoarr, thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions, muchly appreciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts