MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, It appears that I have won a 2004 Brutale 750. I first laid eyes on a Brutale about 4 months ago and immediately felt funny in my pants. I have been kicking around the idea of getting one ever since. I bid on this bike for grins and now that I won it, well, I don't mind saying that I am a little scared..I mean excited, ya that's it.

I have not worked out the details yet but the soonest I can meet my new toy will be in about 6 weeks. I am in the military and stationed away from my home. never really liked Yuma, AZ all that much but now I can't wait to get back there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NOT SO FAST!

This is the message I got from Ebay.

Hello! I am so sorry, but all bids were canceled on this bike because we discovered there were issues with the paperwork. If you are still interested, please call Elias at (818) 765-2352 and he can let you know what the situation is. Ebay would not end this auction early for some reason, so it unfortunately closed with your bid. The bike is not for sale. I am so sorry about this!!

Maybe this one was not meant to be.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got off the phone with the seller. He told me there is an issue with the actual owner's paperwork, bla, bla, bla. The seller was "Speed Life Style" Exotic Motorcycle Sales. They have a 100% super power seller tag, figured they wouldn't back out. He told me they have been trying to close the bid for a couple of days now but Ebay screwed up. He said once the paperwork is cleared I can offer $10K. Not saying $10K isn't a fair price but...it ain't the $7K I won the bid with. At least they don't have my money. I will continue to look. Maybe I will take advice on a previous thread and buy a Monster 620. There are a bunch of 'em out there.

SoCrates

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Lots of scams associated with bikes on the bay, :bawling: however not all is bad, :hand: I got my VFR from an ebay seller and the transaction went smoothly and I think both buyer and seller were happy with the outcome. :)

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
john said:
Lots of scams associated with bikes on the bay, :bawling: however not all is bad, :hand: I got my VFR from an ebay seller and the transaction went smoothly and I think both buyer and seller were happy with the outcome. :)
glad to hear that....
stories like your's are in the minority, sadly
the DIShonesty of so many folks on earth certainly shines brightly on ebay

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
You are right Greg, a friend of mine nearly bought a fake Rolex watch on the bay, he asked me why it was such a bargain, an Oyster Day/Date Perpetual,and that the guy had PM'd him saying he would end the auction early if he paid £2k for it by personal cheque as he (the seller) had issues with Paypal. I looked at the photos and whilst I'm no expert on Rolex, it was no watch I'd ever seen in their catalogue. :eek: Be careful out there guys, don't forget the Chinese MV's that surface from time to time!!! :jsm: :jsm:

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have to say that I've consummated over 250 transactions on ebay with no issues, buying and selling (seriously). I've bought 2 bikes and sold 2. Sold several cars. No question there are scammers and cheats, but common sense, feedback and emails/calls will go a long way. The key for me is finding hard to get items - for instance a vintage Hella spotlight for my R60. Also, I do think there are good, wholesale deals on bikes. That Brutale did not work out...but some other seller is going to lose one for $8k

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like they pulled it as they didn't want it to go for 7k. :cross:

I agree that ebay isn't all bad though. Thankfully! It's a major income for us, out of over 5000 transactions, only 3 were people trying a con.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The more I think about it the more urked I get. I will have to wait to talk to Ebay about this. If Ebay tells me they are at fault then so be it. But if Ebay tells me something else...that is a different story. A deal is a deal is a deal. If the seller didn't want to let it go for $7K then he should have put a reserve on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Message from Ebay

"My name is Brian Servatius and I am a Top Seller Account Manager here at eBay Motors. I am writing to you in regard to your bid on item #: [edit] by seller speedlifestyle. The seller tried to end this listing because they found out that the owner of the Motorcycle does not have the necessary paperwork to sell it. I am this seller’s Account Manager so they called me because they are concerned that you would be frustrated by having won the item and not being able to pay for, and keep it. This seller cancelled all the other bids on the bike due to the problem, but they couldn’t end the listing so that is how you ended up getting the winning bid.

They are really sorry to inform you that they had to do this, but unfortunately, there was no other option for them. I also noticed that your account: [edit] is new to eBay so I wanted to contact you directly to let you know what happened here. This is a very rare occurrence on eBay and I truly hope it doesn’t sour your first buying experience with us here on eBay. This seller will get a warning for not being able to sell and they feel very badly about this transaction. My outreach to you is to offer understanding of why this happened and assure you that eBay is still a great place to buy.

Please feel free to email back or call me direct if you have any questions about this at all. My phone number is listed in the signature below.

We again apologize on behalf of this transaction."

So, that is that. Better luck next time I suppose.

SoCrates

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm dubious. I've never seen another message like that from ebay. They should do things like this....but they never do...or I haven't seen it. I would forward that message back to ebay if doesn't look totally legit. I'm sorry it didn't work out...keep trying...and don't get a Monster! I had a 750 Monster...nothing compared to the Brutale. There is one on ebay on TN...no reserve starting at $6k. BTW...love the screen name as an old Philosophy major

·
Registered
71 Posts
Was this message in your eBay and a genuine ebay message?

I'm surprised that a company with only 1700 feedback, mainly from selling jackets and gloves has an account manager that you can phone. I note they ask for you to phone or email back, no mention of eBay there?

Am I suspicious? Yep. :laughing:

If this is for real, it's very different from our experience of uk eBay. Can we have the US service over here please. :yo:

I note the company has been mentioned on MVAgusta.net before? They have at least 3 different names. gpstar, arthaworks, speedlifestyle.

I'd be more likely to trust them if they offered you the bike at the final auction price, not 3k more. If they did have the paperwork and didn't need to pull it, would they have honoured your winning bid then? Why not contact you when they were supposedly trying to cancel the auction and having difficulty? Why would ebay contact you about a bike a company tried to pull from an auction and is trying to sell to you away from eBay for more money? If they're being honest and they feel so badly, they should get the paperwork and sell it to you for what you offered.

Sounds all wrong to me. :later:

If I were you, I'd contact eBay, tell them that the company asked you to phone them and asked for more money and forward the mail the 'top seller account manager' sent you to eBay too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Appearently there were other bidders before me. The bids were deleted but for some reason the auction continued. I left the Ebay contact numbers out of the above quote. I am not completely convinced with the paperwork story, however, Ebay appears to be aware of situation and has corroborated speedlifestyle's story.

Oh, well. Thanks for the support. I am very excited about owning a Brutale one day. Till then...

SoCrates

·
Registered
803 Posts
To be fair to the seller, the auction was in the process of being cancelled and for some reason it reverted to the starting listing price of $7K. There was 3 bids on the bike when they cancelled the auction:

ploonythepogle( 50Feedback score is 50 to 99) Cancelled: US $8,550.00
Explanation: bike was found to be damaged, so sorry!! Bid: Oct-06-06 18:45:26 PDT
Cancelled: Oct-09-06 12:14:58 PDT
mthalgott( 85Feedback score is 50 to 99) Cancelled: US $8,133.00
Explanation: bike was found to be damaged, so sorry!! Bid: Oct-09-06 06:04:44 PDT
Cancelled: Oct-09-06 12:16:45 PDT
tnaustin9( 44Feedback score is 10 to 49) Cancelled: US $7,500.00
Explanation: bike was found to be damaged, so sorry!!

If the auction was not cancelled you wouldn't have won it for $7K anyway. At the very lowest you could have won it for $8.6K or whatever the highest bidder's top bid was (undisclosed).

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
dumbcomputers said:
To be fair to the seller, the auction was in the process of being cancelled and for some reason it reverted to the starting listing price of $7K. There was 3 bids on the bike when they cancelled the auction:

ploonythepogle( 50Feedback score is 50 to 99) Cancelled: US $8,550.00
Explanation: bike was found to be damaged, so sorry!! Bid: Oct-06-06 18:45:26 PDT
Cancelled: Oct-09-06 12:14:58 PDT
mthalgott( 85Feedback score is 50 to 99) Cancelled: US $8,133.00
Explanation: bike was found to be damaged, so sorry!! Bid: Oct-09-06 06:04:44 PDT
Cancelled: Oct-09-06 12:16:45 PDT
tnaustin9( 44Feedback score is 10 to 49) Cancelled: US $7,500.00
Explanation: bike was found to be damaged, so sorry!!

If the auction was not cancelled you wouldn't have won it for $7K anyway. At the very lowest you could have won it for $8.6K or whatever the highest bidder's top bid was (undisclosed).

What a coincidence. (Cough, cough, laugh, laugh)

THREE bidders cancel their bids on the same day using EXACTLY THE SAME LANGUAGE to explain why they cancelled. Sounds like shill bidding to me.

A seller with impeccable feedback who can't figure out how to prepare the paperwork??? And if you believe THAT....

Sorry, but that bike (even if it actually exists, which I doubt) is NOT worth $10K and for MANY reasons.

Because of a close-out sale, some original Brutales sold for as little as $11K. As of a few months ago, there were still a couple of close-outs left on dealers' showroom floors. The one that was on ebay is not a NEW bike but a USED one in dubious condition.

NICE used Brutales are pretty rare. A GOOD one from the ORIGINAL owner with a VERIFIABLE history and in near-mint condition could easily be worth $10K, but not that one. That bike is DAMAGED - at least that's the reason ALL the other *bidders* gave for cancelling their *bids* So why would you want to give top dollar for a damaged bike even if it did exist?

You're buying it from a dealer and not even a bona-fide MV dealer. The guy can't even get the paperwork right. What else is screwed up on the bike? How many owners has it had? Can you trust this guy regarding the bikes history, etc?

You've been warned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts