MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am planning ahead by calling FBF since it is much closer than NA Warhorse. they quoted $500 something if they have to adjust the valves. The tech. advised the majority of the times the valves don't need adjusting so the service would be around $420. Is this a typical price for maintenance? dayum...my car cost that much......

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i also forgot to mention the tech. saying it will take 6 hours to perform the maintenance.....WTF?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good info...i'd like to know what dealer that guy who paid $800 dollars went too so i make sure i don't go there. i bought my mv from NA Warhorse which will probably give me a better quote but they r 41/2 hours away from me versus FBF.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i call NA Warhorse and they quote me a little over $100 bucks and only two hours to perform the service. I explained to the tech about the other quote which is significanly higher and 6 hours to complete the job. He actually used to work for FBF and said he has worked on MV when they first began appearing in the states and none of them needed a valve adjustment on the first service so they don't adjust or check valves on the first service. The only difference for me living in MD is FBF is 21/2 vs. 41/2...but that price and time i think i'll drive 41/2 hours!

·
Registered
375 Posts
solo said:
so i call NA Warhorse and they quote me a little over $100 bucks and only two hours to perform the service. I explained to the tech about the other quote which is significanly higher and 6 hours to complete the job. He actually used to work for FBF and said he has worked on MV when they first began appearing in the states and none of them needed a valve adjustment on the first service so they don't adjust or check valves on the first service. The only difference for me living in MD is FBF is 21/2 vs. 41/2...but that price and time i think i'll drive 41/2 hours!

I'd agree that under normal circumstances the valves should not be out of adjustment in the first 600 miles. The factory recommends the cehck however to help determine any 'problems' that may have gone un detected during assembly. If caught early, warranty will take care of it.

Chances are you will be ok without the valve check being done, however, you take the responsibility on yourself if you happen to be the 1 in a 100 that has an issue.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
awiner said:
I'd agree that under normal circumstances the valves should not be out of adjustment in the first 600 miles. The factory recommends the cehck however to help determine any 'problems' that may have gone un detected during assembly. If caught early, warranty will take care of it.

Chances are you will be ok without the valve check being done, however, you take the responsibility on yourself if you happen to be the 1 in a 100 that has an issue.
seems to me that if they (warhorse) take that shortcut, they will void the warranty. in the usa, you do NOT have to take the bike to a MV dealer for service - this is a violation of the Magnuson-Moss Act. it's called a "tie-in" and is explicity prohibitied under the act. here's a web link with more info on the magnuson-moss act. btw, this is the ftc web site, so it's straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm#Magnuson-Moss

however, MV can (and does) set conditions for continued coverage under the warranty. these conditions include following the maintenance schedule. a valve check at 600 miles is part of that schedule.

alex

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
altoon said:
seems to me that if they (warhorse) take that shortcut, they will void the warranty. in the usa, you do NOT have to take the bike to a MV dealer for service - this is a violation of the Magnuson-Moss Act. it's called a "tie-in" and is explicity prohibitied under the act. here's a web link with more info on the magnuson-moss act. btw, this is the ftc web site, so it's straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm#Magnuson-Moss

however, MV can (and does) set conditions for continued coverage under the warranty. these conditions include following the maintenance schedule. a valve check at 600 miles is part of that schedule.

alex
thanks for that info....warhorse is an MV dealer BTW so their techs. r very knowledgeable with the MV. The tech did say @ 9k the valves will need checking and adjusting. if i happen to be that 1 out of 100 warhorse will have to honor a warranty.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
i'd consider gas being near $3 a gallon...that may end up being close to $600 going the extra 4 hrs going and coming. :shocker:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
solo said:
thanks for that info....warhorse is an MV dealer BTW so their techs. r very knowledgeable with the MV. The tech did say @ 9k the valves will need checking and adjusting. if i happen to be that 1 out of 100 warhorse will have to honor a warranty.

The fact is valves on the 1000 have been found out of spec at serviceI 600miles/1000km. They have also been found out of spec at serviceIII 7500miles/12000km. Agreed, most of the time they are in spec for the long term but certainly not 100%. 9000miles has nothing to do with a factory service interval and it's MV Agusta USA who pays warranty claims not your dealership.
I think it's a bit optimistic to think your dealer are going to foot the bill for a problem that turns up at 20,000miles because they suggested you could safely run until 9000miles before checking. Let's say they find your valves tight at their suggested 9000mi service. You may have been running your bike since NEW on tight valves causing an issue that will be much more expensive to remedy down the road than just paying for a check or adjustment. This doesn't even consider the difficulty in properly tuning the bike with potentially bad valve numbers.

My strong suggestion is to have them checked at the specified intervals; 600mi/1000km and then every 7500mi/12000km. Hopefully they are in spec, the service is relatively quick if so. If they are out of spec then you would have wanted to know and have them adjusted anyway!

Take care of the bike and it will take care of you :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
agusta question

Please forgive me if im off topic somewhat.... I am a car mechanic and work on my gsxr regularly . I have a buddy has an mv i was wondering if anyone could help me out on doing a tune up on it? I am yet to do a tune up at all on a bike more like replacing forks tires rims sprockets that type of thing so any help on what im in for on the tune up or any special instructions would be of great help. Thanks very much for your time and patience.

chris

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
You can do all the other maintenance on your own. Checking/topping off fluids, and making sure nothing has vibrated off. You can save a couple bucks, well ALOT if you do everything on your own, and just tell them you want the valve clearances checked.

The guy at my local Yammy dealer has a couple older bikes in his stable. One of which being an old school MV 750s. He was the only guy when I pulled up to not google over the bike...the exact words were "it looks more exotic than it really is...". Guy is like 60 and has owned a couple MVs, worked on them and claims (as well as every guy in ther service dept) that he can take one apart with his eyes closed, etc...

He states, 99% of the time, valves aren't even outta spec. The valve check is mainly preventive maintenance for when /if they DO go outta spec...your head isn't crapped out.

Sounds funny, but I'm taking my bike to a Yammy dealer. Although, even closer, there's a Moto Guzzi/KTM dealer, and they do all the business for Disney and thier stunt team. Hmm....I'm feeling a little inclined to goto them considering thier clientele(sp?), but who knows, the old guy at the yammy dealer seems to instil a little confidance considering he actually owns one and owns nothing but italian bikes :laughing:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts