MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, replaced the chain and checked both sprockets, ran into a few things:

A. So this rear wheel, the shop that did my tires must have really put them on. I actually broke my proper socket. Had the bike strapped down, used a breaker bar, etc. Just popped. Also twisted the extension a bit.

Im going to look into getting an air compressor and gun but I need to make sure and replace my tool with something legit. This one was just aluminum. Does someone sell one that is steel?

B. So when removing the front sprocket cover the manual explicitly states "do not let the shaft come out." It doesn't really go into detail. Mine kind of came out a little, like 3/4" before I could get some pliers in there to put just enough pressure on it to hold it in place while pulling the slave cylinder/cover off. It wiggled back in (first some resistance but you could feel it slide past something and go back in).

Any concerns? Anything I should check or do regarding this? The manual didnt really state the consequences if it came out any. I havent put it all back together yet, waiting to get some feedback.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
You are fine. Mine has came out several inches before with no problem. Like you said you could feel it being stopped by something then going past it.
Hope your wheel nut is not on like the one Ed had. Do a search on his. He had the wheel nut from hell.

·
Administrator
20,056 Posts
Shock and Awe tool available for loan if needed.!!! :jsm:

·
Super Moderator
22,472 Posts
Speedy Moto makes a nice steel tool that works well with my Ingersoll-Rand Titanium rattle gun....

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shock and Awe tool available for loan if needed.!!! :jsm:
Any chance I could come by in the future and consult your expertise on removing bitchy wheel nuts?
Speedy Moto makes a nice steel tool that works well with my Ingersoll-Rand Titanium rattle gun....
Thanks, I will order that one for the future.

·
Administrator
20,056 Posts
Any chance I could come by in the future and consult your expertise on removing bitchy wheel nuts?

Thanks, I will order that one for the future.
Come by anytime....now living just OTP near Sprayberry High School. :f4:

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I have a 3/4" 55mm Crome Vanadium socket and an electric impact wrench Milwaukee 9075-20 (515Nm) from McMaster.
It does the trick without a compressor, Ryan.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

I have a 3/4" 55mm Crome Vanadium socket and an electric impact wrench Milwaukee 9075-20 (515Nm) from McMaster.
It does the trick without a compressor, Ryan.
the problem is Ralf, that a standard 55mm socket has straight splines, the MV nut is

tapered

:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I'm gonna pay the $ for the real deal to not Mar up the thing. I had one but it was aluminum, gonna swap for forged steel and be done with it. I'm gonna need a bigger drive though, the 1/2 won't cut it.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
the problem is Ralf, that a standard 55mm socket has straight splines, the MV nut is

tapered

I have Ti nuts from TPO and they are straight.

·
Administrator
20,056 Posts
Thanks. I like their price. I thought I'd get a new nut from them (mine is marred) until I saw it was ti and the price, I'll leave that to Andrew.
:laughing:

I have the 1" drive shock and awe you can use if needed....only used once. Overkill for sure :nerd:

It's built up on a SpeedyMoto steel socket.

I have 4 wheel nut sockets now.
I have no problems with my aluminum sockets when the nut isn't frozen, then I have another SpeedyMoto and the Shock n Awe when needed.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

I have Ti nuts from TPO and they are straight.
Too cool your silly Ti nuts weigh way more than the stock aluminum ones.....

and cost more too.......

and then you had to buy another socket too......

Choices I wouldn't have made:stickpoke

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I pulled that rod out like 5 times and it still doesn't leak a drop. You're fine.
Don't give out the wrong advice just because you don't know any better, all the rods are not the same across the different models.:stickpoke

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:laughing:

I have the 1" drive shock and awe you can use if needed....only used once. Overkill for sure :nerd:

It's built up on a SpeedyMoto steel socket.

I have 4 wheel nut sockets now.
I have no problems with my aluminum sockets when the nut isn't frozen, then I have another SpeedyMoto and the Shock n Awe when needed.
Normally my alum one was no problem, this is the first time its done this. I had the tires changed by a shop that has done other work (and another set of tires before) without issue. Id take it back to them and say "loosen it up" but its MSP (aka on the other side of town and limited hours).

Next weekend we have a ton of people in town so def not then, maybe weekend after next? Ill PM you to see what day/time works best.

all the rods are not the same across the different models.:stickpoke
Thats what I tell Jennifer.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Normally my alum one was no problem, this is the first time its done this. I had the tires changed by a shop that has done other work (and another set of tires before) without issue. Id take it back to them and say "loosen it up" but its MSP (aka on the other side of town and limited hours).

Next weekend we have a ton of people in town so def not then, maybe weekend after next? Ill PM you to see what day/time works best.

Thats what I tell Jennifer.
My best African accent regards to the lovely Jennifer mate :) and from a recovering Liesl too:yo:.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts