MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a fantastic bucks weekend in Melbourne, i rode my Kwaka Zr7 (the airport bike) out of the parking lot and was on my way home until...

Just before hitting the Southern Cross Drive ,Nth Bound, a guy in a Mercedes Van absolutely packed to overflowing suddenly decides the lane he's in is two lanes to the right of where he needs to be.

My estimation in summing up the event gave me about half a second to prepare myself for the impact when he came across both lanes from a stationary position directly into my path.

I sat up, travelling roughly 60km knowing i had nowhere to go, grabbed a handful and mashed the back brake hard to trying to slide it sideways into the van ... and thank God, it worked.

The bike slide straight under the van , stopping him in his tracks and i slammed into the side of the van, somehow missing the pillars, once again , thank God! Bounced off the van and flew in the air for alittle before hitting the ground and rolling, popping up to my feet in the middle of the next lane with oncoming traffic. A quick bolt to the traffic island and i avoided being cleaned up by a few terrified looking drivers who also gave their brakes a good test too.

After a quick body check for any broken bones and the adrenalin pumping off the chart the rage hit me. The next five minutes was spent kindly explaining to the gentleman exactly what i thought of his driving abilities. It was then time to try and get my bike from under this f#*wits van.

The two idiots got out and watched me struggle to move the bike until i then kindly told them what i thought of their efforts and that it could possibly be a good idea to help me. Idiots.:nutkick:

Anywho... a lovely lady who wittnessed what happened (obviously waiting in the wings until i calmed down) gave me her card, checked my physical..and mental health:banghead: and said she's willing to testify if needed. Got the guys details and the bike's off to the shop tomorrow with minor damage. No damage to gear at all .
ATGATT saved me from any serious injuries without a doubt. Got an egg on my right shin and a bruised thigh, all in all no worries.

Surely an exciting end to the weekend and i'm just happy to be able to tell about it tonight.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm so glad you're ok baby, very quick thinking on your part saved you from a more serious impact.
I can't believe they stood there watching you try to get your bike out, what a couple of F$*KING WANKERS!!! Jesus!!!
If only we could get the police onto them for careless driving.... shit like that should get you your license suspended.
Oh, and lucky you didn't take the Brute, could've been much more $$$$ for repairs, but the most important thing is that you have come away with little more than a bruise, Thank God!
xx

·
Administrator
18,830 Posts
:jsm: :jsm: :jsm:

Nothing else I can say!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Dude, glad to hear you are ok.

As a commuter myself it's something that crosses my mind often that there are some situations where there is simply nothing you can do about it but brace for impact.

You did very well to calculate your options, it's a sign you didn't panic.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Holey Shit S.E. - man that is absolutely outstandingly smart street-riding!!

Like you (a daily commuter) I'm constantly assessing the 'what if' scenarious with the traffic.

Perhaps there was a little bit of luck....but the required skill to increase "your luck" was all you !

However, more importantly - glad you're ok!

Cheers

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
First, foremost & above all else, thank God you are ok!

I am a little lost, weren't the Police called to the scene? In NSW any accident with damage over $500 (which is a scratched brake lever if you use insurance rates) or involving any kind of injury reuqires police attendance. VIC road rules are even stricter so I can't see it be any different. How come the cops weren't at the scene, or am I getting this wrong?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Quick thinking and smart escape, Kieran.
Glad you pulled through ok.
Goes to show, ATGATT and constant focus save the day.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Glad you're ok mate. Never like to hear stories like this, unfortunately it's so common these days.
People in general now have no road sense at all and you see examples of this everyday.

Whats even more amazing is the lack of help from others around at the time.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I am a little lost, weren't the Police called to the scene? In NSW any accident with damage over $500 (which is a scratched brake lever if you use insurance rates) or involving any kind of injury reuqires police attendance. VIC road rules are even stricter so I can't see it be any different. How come the cops weren't at the scene, or am I getting this wrong?
If a vehicle involved has to be towed from the scene the police must be called. However, if you can start your bike/car and move it 1m from where it crashed then no Police required because technically it left the scene of the accident ok. Been there, done that - handy when it is your fault as you don't get charged for neg driving.

If Police are called the driver at fault gets a neg driving charge and loses 3 points.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
If a vehicle involved has to be towed from the scene the police must be called. However, if you can start your bike/car and move it 1m from where it crashed then no Police required because technically it left the scene of the accident ok. Been there, done that - handy when it is your fault as you don't get charged for neg driving.

If Police are called the driver at fault gets a neg driving charge and loses 3 points.
It makes it difficult to take you seriously given your avatars :laughing:

But you are quite right :) The rules have been revised (NSW):

You must call police if:
• a person is injured
• a car needs to be towed away
• a driver fails to stop or fails to exchange details or
• a driver is believed to be under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
If police do not attend you should report the accident.
Call the Police Assistance Line (PAL) within 24 hours on 131 444.

Heck in seaeagle's example - you'd call the cops on the basis of 'other drugs' what kind or cretin/s, moves over on someone, causes a crash & then doesn't even help with extracting the bike from under another vehicle unless they are on drugs?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts