• Yes

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 14.3%
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Part of me says "yes" lets' fragment the forum into as many different sub-forums as we can possibly dream up.

The other part of me knows that two of my favorite internet forums have very few sub-forums (one of them has no sub-forums, only one main forum), and those two internet forums bring the members together in a camp-fire way.

Picture yourself around a campfire with other F4 owners, sharing laughs, knowledge, stories, etc. Then picture yourself around a campfire where all of sudden, 90% of the people get up, walk to other areas in the woods, and carry on conversations about unique topics that may or may not matter to the others. But, hey, those other guys can get the transcript of each of the individual areas by reviewing each of those conversations, and painfully clicking on each of the other areas one at a time.

If you've not been a member of a "campfire" like forum, it won't make sense to you, but that's OK too.

Me, I'm just a contrarian. :smoking:

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
Part of me says "yes" lets' fragment the forum into as many different sub-forums as we can possibly dream up.

The other part of me knows that two of my favorite internet forums have very few sub-forums (one of them has no sub-forums, only one main forum), and those two internet forums bring the members together in a camp-fire way.

Picture yourself around a campfire with other F4 owners, sharing laughs, knowledge, stories, etc. Then picture yourself around a campfire where all of sudden, 90% of the people get up, walk to other areas in the woods, and carry on conversations about unique topics that may or may not matter to the others. But, hey, those other guys can get the transcript of each of the individual areas by reviewing each of those conversations, and painfully clicking on each of the other areas one at a time.

If you've not been a member of a "campfire" like forum, it won't make sense to you, but that's OK too.

Me, I'm just a contrarian. :smoking:
And like I said, it's hard enough riding herd on one group of campfire girls as it is......:stickpoke

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I feel much like you do Kevin, it's a full time job just to get the F3 and B3 guys to figure out there are maint, customizing and tyre section's for everybody... etc.
I feel for the benefit of helping guys with problems getting sorted, it would be great, but for the general good of the forum maybe not so good.
I've asked some of the forum sponsors about their opinions and most seem to be against the change, so for me I think it should stay as it is for the moment, we'll just have to keep mowing stuff in the right sections ...etc.
Time will tell I suppose.

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
split them off

Donsy;
I've been a member of AF-1s Aprilia Forum a lot longer than I've been here

it's divided by Model and generation... I only post in the "RSVR/Factory '04-'09 Section" thats what I have, an '04, a 2nd generation twin

there are several other 1,000cc Rotax powered twins, but with totally different issues.....
Tuonos
Falcos
Caponards
Futuras

been all through an RS 250 track bike.....never been on that section either

I never go there......

I never had an '10 MV around to touch, fixed 2 fuel tanks though......

people PM me with questions about them......I really can't help

especially with the BS electronics

there is almost nothing in common between '99-'09 and '10+ so why not split them? its not like it costs a bunch:popcorn:

re; the F3, B3 folks not posting where they should.....

I used to tease people about that in the F4-B4 sections, now we have all these moderators.....I've backed off......you guys fix them:naughty:

:drummer:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Donsy;

I've been a member of AF-1s Aprilia Forum a lot longer than I've been here

it's divided by Model and generation... I only post in the "RSVR/Factory '04-'09 Section" thats what I have, an '04, a 2nd generation twin

there are several other 1,000cc Rotax powered twins, but with totally different issues.....

Tuonos

Falcos

Caponards

Futuras

been all through an RS 250 track bike.....never been on that section either

I never go there......

I never had an '10 MV around to touch, fixed 2 fuel tanks though......

people PM me with questions about them......I really can't help

especially with the BS electronics

there is almost nothing in common between '99-'09 and '10+ so why not split them? its not like it costs a bunch:popcorn:

re; the F3, B3 folks not posting where they should.....

I used to tease people about that in the F4-B4 sections, now we have all these moderators.....I've backed off......you guys fix them:naughty:

:drummer:
Well said noel

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I think what Noel said reflects what Kevin and I was thinking about, we would like the F4/B4 guys to look into other sections also, same as the F3/B3 guys, that way more people get to know each other better, makes for a better forum.
Damned if we do, damned if we don't.
Speaking for myself, I'll ask the other mods, forum sponsors and admin again once we've had a hundred votes....

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
I think what Noel said reflects what Kevin and I was thinking about, we would like the F4/B4 guys to look into other sections also, same as the F3/B3 guys, that way more people get to know each other better, makes for a better forum.
Damned if we do, damned if we don't.
Speaking for myself, I'll ask the other mods, forum sponsors and admin again once we've had a hundred votes....
Donsy;
I hardly ever even look in the F3-B3 sections....why would I go there? saw the F3-B3s at Moto Forza......thats it

to meet other guys? don't think so.....I'll stick with my FaceBook cuties

one of my friend's sister;
https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1/1477924_1387621298151983_160613202_n.jpg

Йоана :mouthwate

:popcorn:

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
Donsy;
you got it backwards....

I would like to have the F4 section split into 1st and 2nd generations because they have so little in common, not so with B4s

as for the F3s, I've PMed all the local owners I've seen post, zero responses

guess I won't be going to their campfire to roast marshmallows

:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
24,108 Posts
I voted, because it made me the 69th voter.....:smoking:

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hi guys.

The question keeps coming up, and Noel just recently suggested it to me again after some other changes where made to the forum lay-out.

Do we separate/split the F4 section into two sections?
The two generations of F4's are so far apart that new members often make mistakes in identifying faults etc.

Do we have a F4 99-09 section and then a F4 Y10+section?

What do we call the two section?
Please give us your idea's.
Donsy;
you got it backwards....
I don't think so.

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
split them off

Donsy;
I want the opposite of what you and Kevin were talking about

look at Kevin's analogy about the campfire.....if it was split Gen 1 - Gen 2, will I miss the Gen 2 questions? of course not, they have nothing to do with MY F4, do I object to them asking in the present F4 section? absolutely NOT, but it clutters it up with stuff that is totally irrelevant to my Gen 1 bike

do I want to get all touchy/feely with the F3/B3 folks? I have nothing in common other than the brand

like I said I'm on the Aprilia Forum but I'm only in the '04-'09 RSVR-Factory section.....don't think i've ever even looked in the FS/WTB section.....don't need anything

I'm on the Garage Journal Forum, it's giant;
Threads: 227,192, Posts: 3,701,721, Members: 214,374, Active Members: 23,847

I post in just 2 sections;
General Tool Discussion
Fabrication & Techniques

I bought 1 tool in the FS section

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
In thinking about this issue, I reflect on decisions that I've had to make in my life, either personally or in business. Often, when making decisions, I evaluate suggestions and opinions of others, and consult with my partner (wife or business partner).

On occasion when I am not completely against either position, I recommend that the decision be made in favor of the person in the partnership who feels most passionately about his/her position.

In this case, we have a forum member who is a stellar technical contributor who is most passionate about this decision to split two sub-forums.

Therefore, we should split the forums. Sometimes we just do things that great forum members want.

·
Super Moderator
24,108 Posts
In thinking about this issue, I reflect on decisions that I've had to make in my life, either personally or in business. Often, when making decisions, I evaluate suggestions and opinions of others, and consult with my partner (wife or business partner).

On occasion when I am not completely against either position, I recommend that the decision be made in favor of the person in the partnership who feels most passionately about his/her position.

In this case, we have a forum member who is a stellar technical contributor who is most passionate about this decision to split two sub-forums.

Therefore, we should split the forums. Sometimes we just do things that great forum members want.

I want you to buy me Tamburini 136...I'll take very good care of it....and, in my humble opinion, I am a great forum member!

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Huh ?

You'd better email me young man :thewife:

21 - 40 of 56 Posts