MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Anyone know offhand the equivalent replacement battery (e.g. Odyssey)? Seems like a prophylactic measure to replace the OEM to help head off any sprag issues. I know these have been recommended previously:

http://antigravitybatteries.com/oem-case-clymb/
Shorai LFX19A4-BS12 Battery & charger has worked well in both my F3's. 19Ah is quite a bit higher than the OEM 11 Ah rating.

Reactions: Donsy

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Todd we try and keep issue's together in certain sections, it helps prevent double threads or duplicates on the same topics.
So when you start a thread on batteries, or anything else, it's always a good idea to put the model of the bike in the heading of the new post.
If you did a search in the maintenance section you would have noticed this has been discussed a LOT, on all models.

FWIW, I use Antigravity batteries too, and they work much better than the OEM Yuasa, compare the CCA of a 12 cell Antigravity to what is in your bike and you'd be sorted.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158369&highlight=Antigravity&page=5

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Donsy, understood. I didn't find much on batteries specific to the TV on my search (though did find one in retrospect - google-fu fail), hence my post. I figure it has a different alternator than the other bikes (since it ostensibly is a touring bike), so maybe the battery was a different spec from the F3/B3 as well.

From one of the other threads, looks like this was the YUASA equivalent:

http://www.yuasa.co.uk/batteries/motorcycle-power-sport/high-performance-maintenance-free/ytz14s.html

I sent an email to Antigravity to see what they say - they're local to me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, Looks like I have to replace my TVL OEM battery at 1yr and 5000miles! Not sure if I should go for a lead acid type (Yuasa YTZ14S) or a Lithium. The antigravity site does not list the TV amongst the MV models it supports. Which model did they suggest for the TV when you got in touch with them?

Which battery did you finally go for? Are you happy with your choice. Cheers.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi,
I just got last year a Lithium battery and I'm very happy with it. Much lighter as the standard battery!! and a lot of power even in the cold time of year.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Gero

Only half the story there man... :grin2:

What manufacturer? Do you have a model number? Is it physically the same size as the OEM battery?

What tender do you use with it. Have heard that Lithium batteries require a charger that a/ doesn't have a de-sulphate cycle, and b/ a specific maximum Ah rating.

My TVL has been on the MV supplied battery tender all winter, no serious sub zero temperatures so far this year (about -8ºC minimum) but the stories of the original battery giving up the ghost before it's really due make me lean towards the better cranking amperage of a decent one in an attempt to help preserve the starter clutch. Weak starting is, I reckon, going to hasten the demise of the sprag. The fact that the OEM battery brand is BS doesn't inspire the greatest of confidence, a company that obvioulsy doesn't do brand name research...

I just got last year a Lithium battery and I'm very happy with it. Much lighter as the standard battery!! and a lot of power even in the cold time of year.

·
Registered
521 Posts
well, I've got the battery from Louis.de here in Germany.. and it fits correct in the space ... they was asking witch model of battery I've had before an gave my this one. So I'm not sure which model and Type it is... you can see the battery on one of this pics from the chain oiler.. :)
I din't used the bike for 2 month now, because of the bad weather conditions. We had always - C° but last Saturday I started the bike with no problems at all. It took a few moments but the bike started then with no problems. I never had a charger on it.

But your right If you want to charge the Lithium Battery you need a special charger for it!!

But how the battery works and acts is completely different to the normal battery.

see:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gero

Is it the LTM14B? That is the Lithium battery Louis recommend for the TV. Looking at the spec though this model is 4Ah while the TV OEM battery is 10Ah. I cannot find a CCA rating for this battery anywhere. Did you get any paperwork with the battery that gives the CCA rating?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi Robin,

I guess this is the one... but mine is red... so I will look in an hour at the bike and do some Pics of it.

It says:

The design of lead-acid batteries means that they are only able to use 30% of their capacity, whereas lithium-ion batteries utilise virtually 100%.
For this reason, lithium batteries from JMT require only 1/3 of the capacity of a comparable lead-acid battery to deliver the same cranking power.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks Gero. Very helpful.

Would like to hear from Todd if he went for the lithium or Yuasa lead acid and how its worked out for him

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
This thread is so funny.
To clarify my statement - You can give your existing battery model number to any Lithium battery manufacturer and they will tell you what you can install as replacement, if they're worth bothering with.
You will need a 12-cell for the TV, so just get the one with the similar dimension layout and pole (polarity) location.
Or, you can get the one direct from MV if you're suspicious of warranty issue's etc.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Turismo drama - OEM battery is shit

Left for vacations on Friday morning. Stopped the maintenance charge on Friday morning just before loading the bike. I put the charger in the box that was going with the car and my wife's bike, just in case, as the plan was basically to ride quite enough to be able to do without charger.

Did about 300 kms on Friday - nice roads in Ardèche and Lozère, but with some crappy wet weather. Only running accessory where the CLS Evo and the GPS. did a few breaks. On Saturday morning, the weather was nice. From where we were, and to go our vacation site, it was only a few kilometers more to take Gorges du Tarn at their entrance. That was tempting so I did. The bike started without any issue. And at the entrance of the Gorges, having ridden about 35 kms, I stopped to take a picture. The bike refused to start. Battery indicator on the dashboard was giving a low 12,1V (I was having suspicion on the battery, as every start in Vercors with @Bumpkin and @LLP was more difficult). I called my dealer, who suggested to get the bike restarted with cables, and then called the assistance as there was surprisingly not much people passing by to help. The assistance came 1 hour later (thanks, the place was enjoyable view point). We restarted the bike, and the dashboard indicator confirmed the alternator is working (14,3V). Verdict : dead battery. Was having still about 250 kms to join the vacation site. Decided to ride them and to pay attention to where I stop the engine : either at the top of the road, either at a service stop.

Arrived at site. put the battery on the charger (in case I want to ride in the next days), and ordered a Lithium battery in the evening, I should get it tomorrow. This is done.
Comments on social networks were : "you have an italian bike, you should have paid attention to the first rule of italian bike : never stop the engine down of the hill..."

·
Registered
484 Posts
Comments on social networks where : "you have an italian bike, you should have paid attention to the first rule of italian bike : never stop the engine down of the hill..."
Comment ABOUT social network

Tripe

Try to start your T-Valoche, in emergency >:) running it downhill.

DAMHIK

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I haven't tried bump starting my TV, not sure how that would work with the slipper clutch. Fairly confident in my Antigravity battery providing sufficiently strong starting but maybe should give it a try for curiositys sake. Would be very much a case of finding a hill to assist in this rather than running alongside and leaping on. The TV is too tall to try that without the potential for disaster.

Hope your new battery solves the issue Marc.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi Marc,
sorry to hear about it... but as we all know the Standart battery is a a Piece of sh.. !! So I decided to change my battery to a lithium battery. That was a really good decision!! Sign then I never had some problems again.. But you have to make sure the lithium battery have a different behaviour as the Standard battery. In winter time when it's really cold you have to fire up a few times until the battery have the full power (with the pause of 30 sek between) I wish you good luck with the new battery but I'm sure you will have!!

Greetings from here

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Bumpkin
I wonder if i could trouble you for the model no. of your Antigravity battery and where you bought it from. Was it the UK antigravity site?
When i ordered the RC i mentioned changing to a Li-On battery but was told not to bother so long as I keep it charged.
It goes in for 600 mile service on Thursday so may change over
Thanks
Al

1 - 20 of 32 Posts