MV Agusta Forum banner

TVL Rear Brake

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Pablotv 
#1 ·
Here we go again on the obviously poorly designed TVL rear brake.

Just returned from a 6K mile trip on my 2019 TVL SCS. Machine now has 12K+ miles. Version 2 SCS worked flawlessly. Rode through rain, snow, hail, and fog.

Bike is now at the dealers for service. Somewhere along the way, the rear turn signals failed. Front works but no rear ones.

As well, rear brake including the parking brake was not functioning correctly from the start of the ride. The bike was at the Bellevue, WA MV Agusta dealer last summer for 105 days. Brake worked on return to home last Sept but after sitting until a month ago apparently the rear brake decided to stop working. Have to really push down on the pedal. Parking brake is useless.

The So. Cal. MV Agusta dealer absolutely insists that the problem is heat from the exhaust. They are going to bleed the brake under warranty but he insists that I need to build and/or wrap a heat shield between the master cylinder and the exhaust system. He won't do it and they will only fix it once under warranty. He says MV Agusta refuses to re-design or fix this problem. My 2016 TVL had the same problem.

Does any of this conversation really identify the problem?

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like a great trip glad you got to put some miles on it! Really happy that your version two SCS is working correctly. Rear turn signals are a ticking time bomb especially in wet weather but extreme heat also kills them. You really can't win with those.

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Here we go again on the obviously poorly designed TVL rear brake.

Just returned from a 6K mile trip on my 2019 TVL SCS. Machine now has 12K+ miles. Version 2 SCS worked flawlessly. Rode through rain, snow, hail, and fog.

Bike is now at the dealers for service. Somewhere along the way, the rear turn signals failed. Front works but no rear ones.

As well, rear brake including the parking brake was not functioning correctly from the start of the ride. The bike was at the Bellevue, WA MV Agusta dealer last summer for 105 days. Brake worked on return to home last Sept but after sitting until a month ago apparently the rear brake decided to stop working. Have to really push down on the pedal. Parking brake is useless.

The So. Cal. MV Agusta dealer absolutely insists that the problem is heat from the exhaust. They are going to bleed the brake under warranty but he insists that I need to build and/or wrap a heat shield between the master cylinder and the exhaust system. He won't do it and they will only fix it once under warranty. He says MV Agusta refuses to re-design or fix this problem. My 2016 TVL had the same problem.

Does any of this conversation really identify the problem?
You can purchase an aftermarket aluminium master cylinder, which I would imagine would solve the problem. My rear brake was recently bled and it’s still going strong after 700 miles. The UK climate is relatively mild, however, which might help.

#6 ·

Reactions: Marko G.
#7 ·
My rear brake is iffy all the time.
I need to change my rear tire, so at that time I am going to address the brake, and a few other things.
The exhaust has also wreaked havoc on my righthand side rear blinker.

#9 ·
I cannot stress how really great having the SCS. You get used to it fast.

The parking brake is quite necessary on down hill slopes. The parking brake is only effective if the rear brake is properly adjusted. If the dealer can't get this right, I'm going to have to turn on my crazy act. This isn't pleasant at all but....I hope MV Agusta is listening. Deal breaker here!

As to the rear turn signals. Really? They have actually failed due to heat or water? This is going to be some awesome display of my crazy act.

#10 ·
Hey there Mr S FYI
I had my 16 TV serviced 4000ks ago In Syd main MV dealership whereupon they rectified the rear brake issue, I'm +3000ks since then and all good
As well I tell all fellow TVers to lose the fugly plate holder with this u get
A better looking rear end
No indicator failures
What's not to loike

#14 ·
Hey there Mr S FYI
I had my 16 TV serviced 4000ks ago In Syd main MV dealership whereupon they rectified the rear brake issue, I'm +3000ks since then and all good
As well I tell all fellow TVers to lose the fugly plate holder with this u get
A better looking rear end
No indicator failures
What's not to loike
View attachment 487375
Does the new position for the directionals/plate holder obstruct the saddlebags?

BTW, over a 2-week span recently it was 95-100F every day on my commute home on my '21 TV RC (same brake config as all TVs), and while my legs were burning, the rear brake was just fine. Stop and go traffic for 30 mins each afternoon, radiator fans blowing full-time, and no problems with the brakes, or any other part of the bike. Surprised, really. HOWEVER, the bike was delivered to me new with a failed left rear directional lamp. A replacement was ordered by the dealer, but it would be best if I could modify the whole assembly - sooner than later - so I don't have to worry about it again. I'm sure this forum has a specific thread with others just like us...gonna take a look now! Perhaps post the link here if someone has it handy? Thanks!

#11 ·
So, what did they do to "fix" the rear brake issue? Enquiring minds want to know....

Reactions: Allworld
#12 ·
I followed the service bulletin and I have about a thousand miles on this latest service. They are working good.

#18 ·
Rear turn signal replacement without the tail tidy....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.