MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Last night on the way home after a lovely ride out to the coast for a meal with friends on our bikes my mv decided to let me down and stranded me and the Mrs 30 miles from home at 11pm !!!:cussing:' The front end started to feel wobbly as if the wheel was out of balance and then followed by some quite harsh clunks (which turned out the be the bearings coming out ). I stopped and checked it out and the right hand side wheel bearing had completely disintegrated with half the bearings missing and virtually unable to spin the wheel and it was wobbling around on the axle ..!! unable to ride I had to stay with the bike why my friends went home to get a van a come back to get me ..

My question is ... should it have failed so soon? ..my bike has done 10,000 miles.

I am slightly thankful as 2 weeks ago I was in Germany at the Nuburgring and this would have totally spoilt my trip !!

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The quick answer is no the bearing should not have failed.

But, if the axle was tightened incorrectly or assembled wrong then anything is possible.
I have had it all apart tonight and apart from getting the bearing out which turned out to be a nightmare it all seemed correct ..so I'm still confused ..

·
Registered
367 Posts
Having been stranded in Europe as a result of a failed bearing, I tend to replace wheel bearings when I replace the tyres (or depending on use every other tyre change) and view them as service items. Costs very little and gives me peace of mind.

10,000 miles is not necessarily the issue though - it's about how old the bearings are and how often they are used. Like tyres, if the bike is left standing for prolonged periods, they will develop a flat spot and this can cause premature failure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also the bearings only have sealing caps and no proper sealing ring. Over time or when using a pressure washer water and small dirt particles can enter the bearing and cause it to fail.
Mine were shot after 13000km, but 13 years old

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
What is the Model and Year?

What is your maintenance history?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Last night on the way home after a lovely ride out to the coast for a meal with friends on our bikes my mv decided to let me down and stranded me and the Mrs 30 miles from home at 11pm !!!:cussing:' The front end started to feel wobbly as if the wheel was out of balance and then followed by some quite harsh clunks (which turned out the be the bearings coming out ). I stopped and checked it out and the right hand side wheel bearing had completely disintegrated with half the bearings missing and virtually unable to spin the wheel and it was wobbling around on the axle ..!! unable to ride I had to stay with the bike why my friends went home to get a van a come back to get me ..

My question is ... should it have failed so soon? ..my bike has done 10,000 miles.
In a word: no.

40k miles on my Buell Ulysses when traded for TV.
No problems with wheel bearings, front or rear.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In a word: no.

40k miles on my Buell Ulysses when traded for TV.
No problems with wheel bearings, front or rear.
yes ..just what I thought !!..I have never had wheel bearings on any of the bikes I have had over the years ..

·
Registered
868 Posts
yes ..just what I thought !!..I have never had wheel bearings on any of the bikes I have had over the years ..
Looking at the workshop manual, the replacement is supposed to be done every 60k km (which is what I expect as well based on my experience in the past). Sometimes, the issue happen when someone does a tire change and don't mount the wheel properly...

Reactions: MrG

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
Was any service done to the bike shortly before failure?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
FWIW I had to replace the front wheel bearings at the first tyre change. They were rumbling when put on to the balance machine.
I put it down to whoever assembled the bike overtorquing the axle and loading the bearings up, as I have not had an issue since. I am up to 60000km now.

·
Vendor
5,335 Posts
Some failures recorded are due to bearing spacer length,either too short or too long,that needs to be checked when re-assembling.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just ordered some new front bearings today.
The factory originals lasted 10 years/26k miles, failed the MOT(play in one side) so got some replacement 'EZO' brand.
I'm now pretty sceptical they were EZO as the only marking is on the bag and after a year and 4,000 miles both bearings grate horrifically.
If you get new bearings, go to a reputable dealer.
I can highly recommend for the UK Bearings and More, Langley. They helped me out with my rear hub bearings and I will source the new front ones from them as well.

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
Also the bearings only have sealing caps and no proper sealing ring. Over time or when using a pressure washer water and small dirt particles can enter the bearing and cause it to fail.
Mine were shot after 13000km, but 13 years old
1st Gen MVs use 6907-2RS bearings they are rated "Extremely Light Duty Class" bearings

Cripples use 6005-2RS bearings they are rated "Extra Light Duty Class" bearings

Do you have any clue as to what "2RS" means?????

It means 2 rubber seals......LOOK IT UP......DON'T POST INCORRECT INFORMATION

The bearings are too light a duty class to function as wheel bearings should :popcorn:

I supply bearings to the Forum :grin2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts