MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the fall out from the generally crappy bike shows..american chopper, superbikes, etc.....
DOes anyone have any ideas for a real show that would depict the true sportbike enthusiasts or riders that actually ride for the sake of riding (not posing).....and would this be a theme that could sustain itself beyond one show or season....Would it need to based on group of riders or Shop in order to have a story line that others would want to return to week after week?

Not that I could actually get anything done, but my brother produces tv shows....Dog the Bounty Hunter, King of Cars, the Homicide series that was on A&E, and few others in the past. He tends to do documentary and reality type stuff.
Anyways, my wife has always pushed me and said that I should do a show similar to what is out there, but about sportbikes. But I have no real ideas that seem worthy enough to pitch to my bro.
SO...any ideas.....just a thought...you never know.

·
Registered
410 Posts
When I owned/ran an AMA Superbike team, I pitched an idea for a show to a few people. The show was called "Privateer" and would follow my race team (ProMotion Racing) as we prepared for the Daytona 200 and the race itself.

We had an interesting group of characters on the team including two doctors (one of which is an orthopeadic surgeon but was also a mechanical engineer in a previous life), a guy who works on phone lines for Sprint, myself (then a technology VP), and of course our rider who, like many racers (no disrespect intended), is a bit looney.

We had finished 13th the previous year and really thought we had a good chance to run up front as we had some unobtainium parts that allowed us to do full pit stops (change both tires and completely refuel the bike) at about 14 seconds...only the factory teams were doing pits at that pace. None of the folks we pitched went for it...which is too bad...we ended up coming in 4th place that year and being the top finishing privateer team. I still think it would be a cool show...there is a good mix of characters, tension, competition, excitement, triumph, and disappointment. Definitely a good David vs. Goliath story.

I would be happy to work with you or anyone else if you want to develop this idea into a show. I'm sure we could find another privateer team to work with...Larry Pegram for example.

Steve

P.S. A few pics from the ProMotion Racing team...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
excellent idea......
Once I get some more ideas, I will run them up the flag pole.

·
Living the Dream
2,755 Posts
I would like to see a show that finds/rides/documents the best riding roads in the country. i know it is something that would take a lot of time and a lot of people to do it, but if one region of the country was done each "season" of the show it would break it up a little so there is time for research, talking to locals and getting all the necessary info to document everything. it would also be a way to map the roads and possibly sell the maps to people in that area that are looking for twisty/high fun roads. Might sound a little weird to people that are around good roads, but for people that are stuck in the city or places with a large number of people it would be nice to know where good roads are. if this is something that has already been done let me know where to get the info for Northern Va!

PS-i would be happy to be a part of anything like this if it does in fact exsist! :koolaid:

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
I like all the ideas stated so far. Maybe combine the ideas into a show which documents riders throughout the country in different areas, showing the best locations, while simultaneously tracking progress in the private race world of some sorts... hmm!

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
sgcullen said:
When I owned/ran an AMA Superbike team, I pitched an idea for a show to a few people. The show was called "Privateer" and would follow my race team (ProMotion Racing) as we prepared for the Daytona 200 and the race itself.

We had an interesting group of characters on the team including two doctors (one of which is an orthopeadic surgeon but was also a mechanical engineer in a previous life), a guy who works on phone lines for Sprint, myself (then a technology VP), and of course our rider who, like many racers (no disrespect intended), is a bit looney.

We had finished 13th the previous year and really thought we had a good chance to run up front as we had some unobtainium parts that allowed us to do full pit stops (change both tires and completely refuel the bike) at about 14 seconds...only the factory teams were doing pits at that pace. None of the folks we pitched went for it...which is too bad...we ended up coming in 4th place that year and being the top finishing privateer team. I still think it would be a cool show...there is a good mix of characters, tension, competition, excitement, triumph, and disappointment. Definitely a good David vs. Goliath story.

I would be happy to work with you or anyone else if you want to develop this idea into a show. I'm sure we could find another privateer team to work with...Larry Pegram for example.

Steve

P.S. A few pics from the ProMotion Racing team...
that is a fantastic idea for a show.... from my standpoint... and that of the rest of this forum
not sure how it would play out over the airwaves to get enough folks watching so that the network could make some money on it

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I would like to see something like the bike magazines format on TV. Reviewing bikes (including footage of a fast lap at the track and keeping a results board...like the car show top gear), following results of the big races (with rider interviews) and maybe tips for bike maintianence and a section on saftey with tips for riding and gear/apparel.

It offers great advertising potential ($$$) as well as being informative and if left as a half hour show it could cover everything without the risk of dragging and keeping viewers wanting more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Always interesting to see opinions on what may work on television - many good basic ideas posted here! As one who works in the televison/film industry - on an international basis, as well - and yet relatively new to the sportbike world, I am also convinced that there is a distinct television market here that remains untapped........sounds like my MV colleagues are super imaginative! But what else would one expect from an MV owner.....I'm all ears guys, and would love to see something come to fruition. And I might add that bikes are now really in my family - my daughter just purchased a Monster from ProItalia. She needed that real low seat height, and at 21, couldn't afford an MV. But hey, viva Italia, si?

·
Registered
410 Posts
spalding12 said:
that is a fantastic idea for a show.... from my standpoint... and that of the rest of this forum
not sure how it would play out over the airwaves to get enough folks watching so that the network could make some money on it
Having lived in a real race team environment for a while, I can tell you that it has all of the things people like to watch. Drama, crazyness, personalities, time/money issues, competition, heartbreak, etc. I am convinced if shows like "Miami Ink" and "Unique Whips" can make it...so can Privateer.

Steve

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hey! A friend of mine and I were talking about a MotoGP travel show, though I'm really not at liberty to say more right now.

Aside from that, I do sound for reality type TV for a living. Please forgive the shameless self plugging, but is there any chance you could put me in touch with your brother? My current show wraps this week and I haven't found the next gig, yet.

Thanks!

-Hunter

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gonna talk to my brother this weekend and run some things by him. Don't know how much he can do or if he would even be interested. Always hard to really get some face time with him..he lives in NYC and me Tennesee. I will post his feedback.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts