MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2017 TV. Almost new, very low kms,
The rear brake lever needs to be pushed a really long way down before the brake will engage. So far down, that I cannot push that far with my foot still on the footpeg.
1) Is this typical?
2) If no (and I hope not), is there any adjustment that can be made to make the brake lever (peddle?) engage higher in the range?
3) If this sounds like its a fault of some type... please advise.

Thanks to all,
Michael

·
Registered
142 Posts
Unfortunately yes it is an issue, there are plenty of threads for you to read, it is common for the three cylinder bikes. Search for braking problem.
There is some adjustment on the brake lever but not much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately yes it is an issue, there are plenty of threads for you to read, it is common for the three cylinder bikes. Search for braking problem.
There is some adjustment on the brake lever but not much.
Thanks for the quick reply... I'll have a read.
But, are you saying that "they are all like that" and that I need to "suck it up Princess" (attempt at humour).
Its basically useless as is.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Amigo , I had the same problem on my 2016 that was rectified in Parramatta whilst being serviced
Are you in Sydney?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amigo , I had the same problem on my 2016 that was rectified in Parramatta whilst being serviced
Are you in Sydney?
Thanks Pablo.
No, I'm in Brisbane.
Do you recall what they did? Bleed the brake line of air? I searched this forum (as suggested by noggin) and found a post where someone said bleeding the line had made a big difference to the same issue (or what seemed like the same issue).
Also found a post here that included a 2017 service bulletin about bleeding the lines

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the same problem on my Brutale 800, once the dealer used the tech bulletin my rear brake worked perfectly for over 10000 miles

·
Registered
142 Posts
My rear brake on the Turismo has always worked but as mentioned in the first thread it has a lot of travel, I adjusted the brake lever and it has helped but needs a bit more tweaking. For the bleeding procedure as per the tech bulletin I have an Abba Skylift which makes the job easier.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same problem on my Brutale 800, once the dealer used the tech bulletin my rear brake worked perfectly for over 10000 miles
Thanks ... I intend to call the dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say. Been reading a lot of threads tonight. There's a thread here that has 99 posts and in that its mentioned that there's a new service bulletin that was issued about a week ago in relation to this. Unfortunately, there's no details regarding whats in that bulletin. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

That other thread is here. The mention of the new bulletin is on the last page - posted 6 days ago

Rear Brake

·
Super Moderator
2,684 Posts
Welcome. to the family.
Without getting into the detail, take the bike to the Brisbane dealer and have them perform the correct rear Brake service procedure. Feedback across NZ and Aus is that it does resolve the problem. (it's a procedure that includes ensuring the ABS unit is correctly bled and reset)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Wasn't bleeding but a rebuild, no finer detail just a LARGE Bill to pay for this and service
Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome. to the family.
Without getting into the detail, take the bike to the Brisbane dealer and have them perform the correct rear Brake service procedure. Feedback across NZ and Aus is that it does resolve the problem. (it's a procedure that includes ensuring the ABS unit is correctly bled and reset)
Thanks.. thats the plan. Need to call them shortly and get this done.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I know it's for Ducati, but if enough of USA owners complain.
It might get an investigation opened for MV rear brakes too.

NHTSA Defect Investigation
Investigation TypeManufacturerMY/ModelProblem
Preliminary Evaluation

Opened February 18, 2021
Ducati2012-2021
Various Models
The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) is opening this Preliminary Evaluation (PE) on model year (MY) 2012-2020 Ducati Monster, Multistrada, Supersport, Panigale, Scrambler and Diavel model motorcycles based on allegations of loss of braking performance. ODI is aware of 22 consumer complaints alleging extended stopping distance due to a loss of rear braking. In December 2020, ODI became aware of a crash and injury allegedly caused by a loss of rear braking on a motorcycle that is part of the subject population. A Preliminary Evaluation has been opened to determine the frequency of this failure mechanism and to understand the
conditions that might influence it on the subject vehicles. (PE21003)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know it's for Ducati, but if enough of USA owners complain.
It might get an investigation opened for MV rear brakes too.

NHTSA Defect Investigation
Investigation TypeManufacturerMY/ModelProblem
Preliminary Evaluation

Opened February 18, 2021
Ducati2012-2021
Various Models
The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) is opening this Preliminary Evaluation (PE) on model year (MY) 2012-2020 Ducati Monster, Multistrada, Supersport, Panigale, Scrambler and Diavel model motorcycles based on allegations of loss of braking performance. ODI is aware of 22 consumer complaints alleging extended stopping distance due to a loss of rear braking. In December 2020, ODI became aware of a crash and injury allegedly caused by a loss of rear braking on a motorcycle that is part of the subject population. A Preliminary Evaluation has been opened to determine the frequency of this failure mechanism and to understand the
conditions that might influence it on the subject vehicles. (PE21003)
Thanks Teeps.
I'm in Australia, so probably can't lodge and issue with the US NHTSA unfortunately.

I did get the rear brake serviced as per the maintenance bulletin and it has worked fine since. I don't do a lot of KMs, so I can't say how long it will last. The information I got was that the fluid boiled because of the reservoirs proximity to the exhaust. That's simply bad design...

I've since had the bike back to the dealers have the left hand side rear indicator replaced after the wire between the LED globes within the indicator snapped due to vibration. Again, just poor design. Looks good, but not very reliable.

·
Wing Nut
21,263 Posts
The information I got was that the fluid boiled because of the reservoirs proximity to the exhaust. That's simply bad design...
That isn't it ..... you got bad information, but it is a favorite theory of many. It is the difficulty of getting the air out of the ABS system

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
That isn't it ..... you got bad information, but it is a favorite theory of many. It is the difficulty of getting the air out of the ABS system
Not necessarily bad information......... my MY19 Dragster has been back to dealers (last month), to carry out the rear brake bleed, as per MV bulletin. MV have now advised to replace the brake fluid with a higher boiling point fluid (which was done on mine)....just saying ;)

·
Super Moderator
23,189 Posts
It is bad information. On the B3 series, the brake reservoir, the rear brake master and the brake lines run no where near the exhaust.
The F3, however, and the First Gen F4s had the rear master right near the catalytic converter.

Reactions: cherche

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don’t know if it will help, but my service has resolved rear brake issue. They installed heat shield (alu foil) on the rear brake pump cylinder and they are still using dot 4 brake oil and after proper bleeding it has remained solid through full riding season and 6 tkm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don’t know if it will help, but my service has resolved rear brake issue. They installed heat shield (alu foil) on the rear brake pump cylinder and they are still using dot 4 brake oil and after proper bleeding it has remained solid through full riding season and 6 tkm.

Hi Marko,

My buddies and I thought about adding a shield of some type.. so this is interesting.
Can you add some pictures to show what was added and how its attached please?

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
403 Posts

It’s been like this for over a year. With proper bleeding it’s been holding OK for 6.000km. My bike has 30.000km now in total.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts