MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't need to do this very often but it can be useful sometimes. Anyone know of any reason not to do this with a brutale or are there some of you that do it regularly.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It's an aluminum kickstand. I can snap unlike the steel ones on Japanese bikes. I used to do it all the time I don't anymore because I have heard of this happening.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Remember the side stand is mount on the sump and it's not uncommon for the gasket to start leaking in this area.
I hear that john I used to donut all the time gasket was mangled I don't do it anymore at all

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an aluminum kickstand. I can snap unlike the steel ones on Japanese bikes. I used to do it all the time I don't anymore because I have heard of this happening.
The oil gasket sounds legit but I have never ever heard of a kick stand snapping from this and find it hard to believe unless there is a defect in the cast.

·
Registered
311 Posts
ok, so have at it and wait. Like I said I've been doing it on bikes for years. Ive heard more than one story of aluminum ones snapping and chose not to continue. Why'd you ask if you just wanted to argue with the possible answers?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not arguing with the possible answers. That kind of pressure at an area with a gasket sounds like it could be trouble. I'm disputing what you heard actually ever happened. Hearing something dose not make it true. The shear point on the connection between the kickstand mount and whatever it is attached to would be far more likely to break before the kickstand it self.

·
Registered
890 Posts
i can send you a picture of my broken side stand, if you have
doubts that they can snap. it happened differently than from
turning the bike on the stand (a car backing out backwards
with the bike parked on the side stand behind it.)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm not arguing with the possible answers. That kind of pressure at an area with a gasket sounds like it could be trouble. I'm disputing what you heard actually ever happened. Hearing something dose not make it true. The shear point on the connection between the kickstand mount and whatever it is attached to would be far more likely to break before the kickstand it self.
Yes it can snap. I have a friend who had a 2004 Brut. He used to use the kickstand to rotate the entire bike on a daily basis. Pretty foolish in my opinion. I repeatedly warned him about the risks. He stated it's perfectly fine and does it all the time on his dirt bike. Well, years back on one day as if to fulfill fate, it snapped in the middle of the stand and down went the bike at work right in front of me as he was parking it. One of the few times I laughed so hard.

I can't say if it was due to a defect in the metal and the exact cause but I have a feeling it did not like it's daily abuse. My friend no longer does that. Live and learn....though some learn the hard way.

Mike

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes it can snap. I have a friend who had a 2004 Brut. He used to use the kickstand to rotate the entire bike on a daily basis. Pretty foolish in my opinion. I repeatedly warned him about the risks. He stated it's perfectly fine and does it all the time on his dirt bike. Well, years back on one day as if to fulfill fate, it snapped in the middle of the stand and down went the bike at work right in front of me as he was parking it. One of the few times I laughed so hard.

I can't say if it was due to a defect in the metal and the exact cause but I have a feeling it did not like it's daily abuse. My friend no longer does that. Live and learn....though some learn the hard way.

Mike
Thats nuts, it dosnt seem like that would be the weekday spot. And I have truly never heard of a kickstand breaking that way. I have heard of the breaking off the engine case or at the mounting point when being transported with the stand down before but never in the middle.

As far as a car backing into a bike. I can probable break myself with a hammer to but I'm not asking if one can break I'm asking if there is any danger for this specific bike being rotated on the stand. The idea of causing a oil leak was enough to turn me off doing it any longer.

Thanks for the input everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts