MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I didnt know who else to turn to as im a bit concerned I could have done damage to my new Mv Agusta Brutale 800 (2015)

I have just changed the sprockets and chain however, as I was tightening up the front sprocket to 140nm with a hand torque wrench I didnt realise it was in gear which resulted in a momentary clockwise turn of the front sprocket (Oposite to the way the engine runs)

It sounded horrible and I stopped as soon as I realised what I had done. I think the sound was likley the starter motor as I understand the sprag is essentialy a one way clutch. Hower I am concerned I could have done other damge I am not aware of.

She starts fine and the starter motor works okay, but could I have:
- Upset the timing?
- Affected the cam chain tension permenantly
- Any other adverse effects that may not be immediately detectable.
- I would know if it had jumped a tooth right?

I guess what I am saying is should I be worried? and would it be obvious if I had done any damage !?!

I really apreciate the help in advance.

Cheers

Dan

·
Super Moderator
22,668 Posts
There is nothing that I can think of that you might have broken. It will be fine.

I have moved many a bike backwards with the gears engaged. No issues...ever.

Reactions: RedBrutale

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have turned many an engine over backwards, it would only become a problem if the cam chain tensioner was loose. No need to panic

·
Administrator
20,425 Posts
You can't hurt it turning it backwards...... like the other guys said. No worries.

Reactions: RedBrutale

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Dave your humor is always a welcome site on here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts