MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Keep di-electric grease away from the bullet connector pins. The contact area is tiny and unlike Lucar connects there is no spring action pressing the male and female terminals together. So if you overdo it with the grease it the result will be the male contact pin floats in a coating of insulating grease.

It takes very little contamination of the pins to break continuity.

I found a little WD 40 and making and breaking the connection a few times is very "conducive to making things conductive"

IMHO they need to be cleaned at service time with a bit of WD40 and making and breaking the connection a few times to clean it up .It's very common for them to stop working through a dry or contaminated connection.

Not good.

Joe

·
Vendor
5,336 Posts
Good tip Joe,they are fiddly little suckers.Also if you happen to snap off one of those locating pins,you can drill and tap to 4mm,screw in a bolt and cut to length,it's there for life.:naughty:

·
Administrator
19,853 Posts
2 good tips!!!!

When I start putting Lola back in street trim these will likely come in handy!

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
I must admit I gave up with mine about 3 years ago - I hard wired them with bullet connectors (I think I did a thread here with pics about it) and end of problem forever, especially the need to be micro precise with the tightening of the allen bolt that holds the fairing stay so that the blinkers work.

The system was a great idea and fantastic when it worked well.

Joe, I think the use of di-electric grease was my main problem looking back now - great post and excellent tip for others :)

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I must admit I gave up with mine about 3 years ago - I hard wired them with bullet connectors (I think I did a thread here with pics about it) and end of problem forever, especially the need to be micro precise with the tightening of the allen bolt that holds the fairing stay so that the blinkers work.

The system was a great idea and fantastic when it worked well.

Joe, I think the use of di-electric grease was my main problem looking back now - great post and excellent tip for others :)

I'm with you on the contact plate Rob. Freakin nightmare to get working and when it does you are left with the sneaking feeling it may let you down sometime critical.

I am leaning heavily towards doing what you did Rob on the F4s.

It doesn't do in modern traffic conditions to be making turns without signalling properly..It's crazy enough out there as it is..

Joe

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hand signals ? Still use them on my Ducati and have yet to have one not work or get stuck on

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish Cus.

Tried that on my previous Jota coming out of Portsmouth one dark night...Almost ended up wearing a 40 ft truck .....

·
Super Moderator
22,348 Posts
Joe, that's when you lean on your horn and change your hand-signal......

·
Super Moderator
22,348 Posts
In the world of momentum and mass transfer, motorcycles lose.....

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the world of momentum and mass transfer, motorcycles lose.....
Friend who is a motorcycle instructor, riding home from work and on a straight in the country lane.

A hot hatch pulls out in front of him and he takes avoiding action, brakes on and avoided a collision.

Then he gives the driver the finger and probably shouted something at him.

The hot hatch wasn't travelling alone. They don't call them " Boy racers "for nothing.
His buddy was in hot pursuit and shot out from the side road and this time there was a collision.

Fixation, frustration, + pain..As you said Chuck , we don't win.

He doesn't instruct anymore...Massive head injury..He survived, just but he can't work now. Shame as a thoroughly nice guy.

I don't get involved in argy bargy on the road...Try to ride with anticipation and accept that there are people out there who can and will make mistakes..Some of them stupid to the point of incredulity ..

Ride like an officer and a Gentleman and don't get drawn into emotional distraction..

Here endeth..

joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts