MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weather was quite good today, with temperature around 12°C, so it was a good time for the first ride of the year.

Went to refuel the tank after few kilometers of ride, and then first occurrence of the issue appeared: in first gear, while pressing the clutch lever, the bike started to move... It happened in multiple occurrences during the small ride, specially with the engine being hot. I had no issue starting after a pause. Looking down at the clutch receptor, there is oil leaking from the clutch sensor... So either one or both is the issue...

From the time I had the bike, I had this sensation that the clutch was not working properly while running hot... It seems confirmed now. Bike is having 13600 km on the clock, and was suppose to go for the service in march, just before the beginning of the season. Luckily, the warranty is running till February... I'll get the bike to my dealer within the next weeks.

At least, one thing is confirmed : my bike is an Italian bike, and as such is behaving like a diva :-D

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
Hydraulic fluid leak from slave cylinder? Sounds like air getting in the system, or water contaminated fluid. Should be easy to fix.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hydraulic fluid leak from slave cylinder? Sounds like air getting in the system, or water contaminated fluid. Should be easy to fix.
Yes it should be. Leak is clearly on the clutch sensor or the slave cylinder... I'll get it checked as soon as possible.

Good luck with it... I just had a new clutch on mine ( no warranty )
Somehow I'm lucky. As the bike was a demo bike, the dealer proposed a warranty extension. Otherwise, the bike would not be under warranty anymore...

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update from the dealer today :
- slave cylinder is leaking and will be replaced (that was what I suspected to be the culprit)
- clutch sensor to be replaced as well. Small note on this one : it can fail either in open position, either in close position. If it fails in close position, the only impact is that that you can't start the bike without being on neutral (the clutch disengaged doesn't change anything as the ECU doesn't see it as disengaged), however, it's not preventing the quick shifter or the bike to be used. If it fails in open position, then it's another story, as it would be hen recognized as an issue by the ECU, and then you are basically stuck.

Long story short: parts have been ordered, and we are now hanged to MV sending the parts. I hope it won't be too long as the HP Corse Tre is sitting in the garage waiting for the bike :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Quick update from the dealer today :
- slave cylinder is leaking and will be replaced (that was what I suspected to be the culprit)
- clutch sensor to be replaced as well. Small note on this one : it can fail either in open position, either in close position. If it fails in close position, the only impact is that that you can't start the bike without being on neutral (the clutch disengaged doesn't change anything as the ECU doesn't see it as disengaged), however, it's not preventing the quick shifter or the bike to be used. If it fails in open position, then it's another story, as it would be hen recognized as an issue by the ECU, and then you are basically stuck.

Long story short: parts have been ordered, and we are now hanged to MV sending the parts. I hope it won't be too long as the HP Corse Tre is sitting in the garage waiting for the bike :)
My TV's clutch pressure switch fails in the open position when warm. I tested it yesterday, and barely warm to the touch before it fails.
The circuit is a "pull down" input. That is the ECM provides a reference voltage. When the clutch lever is pulled the switch closes and the reference voltage is grounded. The ECM sees this voltage drop and assumes the clutch is now disengaged. Then acts accordingly...

In the failed condition I have experienced:
Starter motor will not turn over; if trans is in gear and clutch is disengaged (lever pulled in all the way.)
The Q/S works fine... However with Q/S enabled and trying to change gears the usual way yields all sorts of bad behavior.
You are fighting Q/S function when pulling in the clutch because the ECM thinks the clutch lever is out (clutch engaged.)

I might have a, $20 USD, solution in a week or so... waiting for the part to see if it will fit/function.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My TV's clutch pressure switch fails in the open position when warm. I tested it yesterday, and barely warm to the touch before it fails.
The circuit is a "pull down" input. That is the ECM provides a reference voltage. When the clutch lever is pulled the switch closes and the reference voltage is grounded. The ECM sees this voltage drop and assumes the clutch is now disengaged. Then acts accordingly...

In the failed condition I have experienced:
Starter motor will not turn over; if trans is in gear and clutch is disengaged (lever pulled in all the way.)
The Q/S works fine... However with Q/S enabled and trying to change gears the usual way yields all sorts of bad behavior.
You are fighting Q/S function when pulling in the clutch because the ECM thinks the clutch lever is out (clutch engaged.)

I might have a, $20 USD, solution in a week or so... waiting for the part to see if it will fit/function.
In my case, the clutch switch was not functioning, even at normal temperature. I was still able to run the bike, to start it, but only on Neutral.
Just for information, there is a new part reference for the clutch switch available since sometime last year. When they do replace a clutch switch, they replace it by the new version, apparently more reliable. In any case, will look in for your solution...

·
Registered
521 Posts
my clutch switch was faulty August 2016 and it was replaced with the "new" model (Part No.) and since then I had no problems with the clutch switch :) (what a surprice, something is working) :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my clutch switch was faulty August 2016 and it was replaced with the "new" model (Part No.) and since then I had no problems with the clutch switch :) (what a surprice, something is working) :)
Not sure when the replacement part was put in place, but apparently, early 2016 models were still built with the earlier version.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Last 4 of the VIN on my bike is 1457 don't know where that put's it in the production run; but the switch is faulty.
Goes open circuit when barely warm to the touch.
I'm sure it was failed on delivery, as the trans never seemed right until I turned Q/S off.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Two updates to the same part leads me to believe that there is problem with materials or design...
Likely.

thats true , that the reason why the part is change :)
And likely, MV is not the only one bike manufacturer to use those sensors, and likely not to be the only one affected by those change.

Further that is also what is called continuous improvement. They are progressing and the bikes reliability improve progressively (as others brands do). Now, having a very limited diffusion means we see those problems longer in life cycle of a model than one with an higher diffusion...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Likely.

And likely, MV is not the only one bike manufacturer to use those sensors, and likely not to be the only one affected by those change.

Further that is also what is called continuous improvement. They are progressing and the bikes reliability improve progressively (as others brands do). Now, having a very limited diffusion means we see those problems longer in life cycle of a model than one with an higher diffusion...
I worked for Honda for over 40 years, I know all about updated parts and improvements.
If MV knew the unsold bikes contained known faulty parts.
I would expect that said updated part be installed before the bike was sold.
Regardless of when it was sold. And, not waiting for the part to fail first.

I'm surprised that this clutch switch problem has not blown up into a safety recall.
Having to find neutral to restart the engine; a guy could get run over.
The sprague clutch problem as well...

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I worked for Honda for over 40 years, I know all about updated parts and improvements.
If MV knew the unsold bikes contained known faulty parts.
I would expect that said updated part be installed before the bike was sold.
Regardless of when it was sold. And, not waiting for the part to fail first.

I'm surprised that this clutch switch problem has not blown up into a safety recall.
Having to find neutral to restart the engine; a guy could get run over.
The sprague clutch problem as well...
I don't remember to have seen any recall for this on the service bulletin which was available at some point online, while there was recall for other stuff...

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So there is a service bulletin on the clutch switch?
What other bulletins are you aware of and where can I view them online?
Never seen and never heard about any one for the clutch sensor.

There was one for a clutch update, but it did not covered the clutch sensor.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The service bulletins were unofficially available online from MV via a publicly accessible folder with no index, not one I had seen anyway. The files, predominantly PDFs were sequentially numbered and in multiple languages. It was a matter of cycling through them to search. New ones were added with higher sequential numbers on a regular basis. Lots of interesting stuff but difficult to find what you wanted. Had intended to write a script to download the lot but one of those pet projects that wound up on the back burner... Alas the resource was moved a few months ago, probably to a secure dealer portal.

I do have a few PDFs relevant to the Turismo on my PC, will have a look for you later.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts