MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There i was, the fastest kid on the block, in Hertfordshire, UK, on my 1978 Suzuki GS1000, complete with full Yoshumura 4/1 exhaust, bigger carbs, a gas flowed head and half-race cams. About 120 bhp and the quickest bike for counties around. Ate Z1s for breakfast.
One day i'm coming out of a roundabout and initially get away from this unusual bike behind me, using every rpm i had. A mile or so later this thing totally does me on the brakes and hurtles into another roundabout, exiting with an incredible noise before leaving me behind slowly but surely despite me absolutely killing the Suzuki.
Thinking i'd never know what it was i pull in for fuel In Barnet and the other bike is being fuelled itself! This gorgeous red and black and silver if i recall correctly race-type bike, fully faired.
I speak to the rider and it was, get this, Phil Read! Ex MV Agusta GP racer. On an MV Agusta 850 Boxer. (Also called Monza later, i believe).
The first and only bike that beat me on that Suzuki, which i sold to buy the then-new Laverda 120 Jota. That was a lovely thing.

·
Administrator
19,545 Posts
Great tale !!! But did you get his autograph??

·
Registered
59 Posts
Blimey 1979, that brings back some happy memories. I lived in Hertfordshire, St Albans at the time darting around on my Yamaha FSIE 50cc moped. Spent many hour with like-minded mates on similar 50cc machines (biggest capacity a 16 year old could ride), Honda, Fantic, Garelli, etc. racing round the local roads trying to hit the magic 50mph. There is famous hill in St Albans called Holywell hill, head down flat on the tank the speedo would hit the magic 50, happy days. These days I travel (read que) round the good old North Circular (A406) to work, but the good new is we use the Ace Cafe as a venue for breakfast meetings. Always wish I'd kept that FSIE.........

·
Read Only
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blimey 1979, that brings back some happy memories. I lived in Hertfordshire, St Albans at the time darting around on my Yamaha FSIE 50cc moped. Spend many hour with like-minded mates on similar 50cc machines (biggest capacity a 16 year old could ride), Honda, Fantic, Garelli, etc. racing round the local roads trying to hit the magic 50mph. There is famous hill in St Albans called Holywell hill, head down flat on the tank the speedo would hit the magic 50, happy days. These days I travel (read que) round the good old North Circular (A406) to work, but the good new is we use the Ace Cafe as a venue for breakfast meetings. Always wish I'd kept that FSIE.........
I currently have 2 FS1Es, 1972 and 1973 both orange, a Fantic Chopper moped, Fantic Chopper 125, Garelli Tiger Cross, plus a 5 speed Honda SS50 ZK2. I've been into the sports mopeds for 50 years almost now.
When i had a FS1E as a back up to my GS1000 i got fed up with losing to the Fantics and other 49cc exotica of the time, like the Guilietta Greyhound and Testi Champion, Gitane Champion Veloce, etc., some with alloy wheels, monoshock suspension, disc brakes and 7 bhp.
SO. I fitted a tuned (thank you Stan Stephens) YB 100 engine, bored to 115cc and stage 2 porting. From the Yamaha's original 4.8 bhp we were now in possession of 15 bhp. Raised gearing meant it would so a true 72 mph, to the astonishment of any moped rider who didn't look carefully at the FS1E!

·
Registered
47 Posts
A most excellent story! Thank you for sharing fun memories.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What a great stable of mopeds you have. Absolutely wish I’d kept hold of my FSIE, a 1973 model in purple. I also ran a blue Garelli Rekord (can’t recall the year) for a while, which definitely had the edge, speed wise on the FSIE. Great move fitting the YB100 engine which Stan had waved his magic 2-stroke wand over : )

·
Registered
418 Posts
Orf tandem a little bit but.........
Lets get a moped riding days thread, a trip to the attic for some Polaroid searching 👍🏍

1 - 12 of 12 Posts