MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all -

Could use your advice. I need another bike, and have a few criteria in mind. I'd appreciate advice from people who have owned bikes that fit the bill.

This will be a third bike for remote use. That is, I have an SPR and a BMWK12RS sitting at my house on the east coast. But, I commute weekly to Oklahoma for work, and it's time to post a bike in Okla at a friend's house so that I can ride during the week. So...

1. There's not much point in spending a fortune. Would like to get a relatively new model, lovingly used, for under $8k.

2. It's going to middle-of-nowhereville. So, it needs to be reliable (at least not prone to breaking down all the time). Can't be a "classic" that requires TLC as I'm simply not equipped out in Oklahoma with a toolkit and access to a machine shop. Even simple thinks like spoke wheels could be a challenge as I'm not equipped with a wheel balancer. So, a straightforward design would be best.

3. It's mostly going too be used for day trips, after work riding, and a few overnighters. It doesn't need to be a hauler or a superbike, but should be comfortable.

4. It's got to be precise & safe. Nothing sloppy. Well-built, great suspension, smooth motor, etc.

5. Must have some cache. I'm not ready to pull up to a restaurant on a Vespa.

So, I'm thinking simple, simple, simple, but cool, cool, cool. In that price range, two came to mind. Any adivce from people that own one? Or any additions you'd recommend for other bikes to consider?

Thinking naked bikes... thinking Triumph Speed Triple (2005 with the better clutch). Maybe a Duc Monster (I know, sacrilige... but it's at least not widly expensive)?

Any others? Any recommendations?

Would apprecaite your input, team.

Thanks,
Thomas

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thomas,

My 2000 Speed Triple has been a reliable ride and the 2005+ model looks pretty good. Pretty good comfort, great gas mileage (relative to the Brutale) and easy maintenance.

Good luck

·
Registered
878 Posts
Monsters are known to have strong engines. there are Monsters out there with 50,000 + miles and no issues, if taken care off. I never owned one, but from what I understand from our local Duc community, it may be what you are describing.
Don't know much about the long term reliability of Triumphs, sorry. But have a friend with speedx3, she loves it. But she only has about 12K on it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Suzuki Bandit 1200? They're totally bullet-proof reliable and with plenty of power, and great handling. (Get the unfaired version if it's available in the US - the bikini fairings look terrible.)

Si

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Seems like you're trying to stay european.

Problem with Oklahoma and the monster is the serviceability. The servce intervals, would be pretty hasslesome. Granted you wouldn't be driving them much, but still, you want worry free right?

S3 is prolly your best bet. They're low maintenance, and you don't need a "triumph tech" to work on them like you would a Duc. You can take her "anywhere"...

Comfy, has balls, personality, it's naked, and they're not $$ at all. you can buy them BRAND NEW for $10K...used, they're all over the place.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Hmmm.... that's a hard choice.
I like both the Speed Triple (my 2005) and the Monster.
The new 695 Monsters are really a bargain (at least here) and i think they should make a great commuter. If you want something with more "punch" i say go for the Triumph, because an S4R should be more expensive (i think.... ).

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
TC,

Certainly a S3 is a good choice, BUT James is RIGHT again. You should consider a SM610.

Will get one home for you to try out from Cagiva...they're a blast. New < $7K I think.

It may be a bit awkward for your taste.

PF

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
JamesC said:
Good suggestion. SM610 would be a blast in the Ozarks and maint is a breeze
How crash easy is that bike? I.E. Is it like a dirtbike where you can crash the hell out of it and get back up and ride away? or is it like a sportbike, where you crap your pants if it goes down?

·
Registered
459 Posts
TC,
wouldn't think these two would make it in the cool stakes but are cheap bikes that can do just about everything.
Ive owned the Yamaha about 4yrs /18000 miles ,apart from consumables it blew a headlamp bulb once. Can get 200 miles on a tank no problem , the motor just monsters the Ducati ,suspension lets it down .
I've owned the Ducati about 4 weeks /2000 miles ,it was intended to replace the Yam as the other bike ,its good but you need to like Ducati's to forgive the low down stuff , it makes slow a chore, shuddering about. It has even better tank range though.

How about one of the new BM 800's ?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
How about a Fazer thou or a Brutale? Try the speed triple before you buy, they may look cool but I had a go and couldn't wait to get off it. Just my opinion of course. :jerkoff: I like the look of your Duke Ian. I'm thinking of getting another one myself. :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, guys, for all the good advice. Going shopping tomorrow with a long list of bikes to look at. As always, I appreciate the input you can get here on the board.

TC

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Hey I dont know where your going to be here in Oklahoma, but DO NOT go to Atlas if you are going to be in the Tulsa area. I repeat STAY AWAY from Atlas Cycles at 6708 E 11th St Tulsa, OK 74112. They do not take care of their clients. I had a 748S serviced there 600 miles later the clutch BLEW UP, I mean blew up! I called to see what they would do, e-mailed pictures, and the response was "You will have to pay for parts and labor" sooo Do not go there for any service work. Just doing my part....

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow - discouraging! Indeed, I'm spending time just north of Tulsa... uh oh. Will have to find a non-brand dealer for service, then. Who'd you go with these days for your Duc?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
How about a Honda 599 or 919 13000rpm and nude with easy parts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts