MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you guys think about this?

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/tfc/rocket-3

Have any of you experienced with Rocket 3 in general? This bike is significantly redesigned. Triumph calls it all-new. Nice touches from TFC (Triumph Factory Custom). Looks pretty impressive not withstanding the possible weight around 700 lbs.

Opinions? Would you get one, as a cruiser?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
My mate has the earlier model Rocket 3 and is fitting a supercharger to it.... It is good for cruising and perhaps towing a caravan :grin2:

I really like the headlights on the new one. Very Triumph. Although the one linked is about 60K AUD special edition so not exactly the comparable.

I quite like the new BMW concept in the same class.

https://www.morebikes.co.uk/58113/c...ucati-diavel-esque-design-from-oberdan-bezzi/

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Admire its engineering, but no, not for me. I think there might be a greater appreciation for cruisers in USA, but that's not to say they won't sell well in UK. Supposedly only 700 to be built.

I'm not against triumph though. I remain keenly interested in the proposed TFC Daytona 765 Moto 2 replica.

·
Registered
565 Posts
A few mates have had/still have the original Rocket 3, roadster and tourer. I think it works well as a retro tourer and certainly way more performance than other cruiser equivalents (they have near 140bhp/140lbft at the wheel)

Seems like the new model is aimed at the Diavel....its just 50kg too heavy. Maybe a lithium battery, carbon wheels and titanium exhaust could drop 30Kg ...but I kinda thought the top of the range £25k model might have some of those goodies..but it doesnt even have Ohlins suspension like the lesser Triumph models.

Overall my buddies were a little disappointed by the TFC version...expected a bit more for £25k

If you like the look and want a feet forward bike with some go in it, then the Diavel-X is still king....

·
Registered
414 Posts
I rather like that but it makes no sense to me. Stick a proper 2nd seat on it and sell it to me as a tourer and I would probably consider it but not as a ...... actually I don't know what to call it!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
....... It is good for cruising and perhaps towing a caravan :grin2:

I quite like the new BMW concept in the same class.

https://www.morebikes.co.uk/58113/c...ucati-diavel-esque-design-from-oberdan-bezzi/
No kidding! It can tow a damn house! Looked at the BMW concept. I'm digging TFC rather.

........I remain keenly interested in the proposed TFC Daytona 765 Moto 2 replica.
In my case, this can be a good balancing act for the first gen F4. I could dump the ZX-14R (ZZR1400) for this.

If you like the look and want a feet forward bike with some go in it, then the Diavel-X is still king....
I LOVE the retro muscle look! I have never been a cruiser guy until I saw these pictures!! Many years ago, had a Diavel as a loaner for a week or so when the F4 was in the shop. Didn't like it. The XDiavel seems to fix the problems I had with Diavel, with options like higher seat, different bar, etc. If I don't get the Rocket TFC, I think XDiavel is a viable alternative. I'm actually impressed by the level of customization you can have with XDiavel.

.... Stick a proper 2nd seat on it and sell it to me as a tourer and I would probably consider it but not as a ...... actually I don't know what to call it!
It does have a decent back seat. The single and dual seats accessories would be offered as standard. And, call it a Power Cruiser or Muscle Cruiser!

More I see it, more I want! This is coming from a non-cruiser rider! Apparently, the interest level for this model seems pretty high. Placed a deposit with a dealer; I'm 4th on the list! Two other dealers had 2-4 on the list. So, it appears, at least in the US, this model may be a sell-out real soon, if not already.

Attachments

Reactions: bogie

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a Diavel and I classify it as a Power Cruiser. This fits in the same niche I would say, along with the Vmax.

At the weekend I parked up next to one at our local pub (might be the prev gen don't know, looked the same), I really wish I'd taken a picture. It made my Diavel look wimpy. Same 240 section rear tyre but with a flatter profile which made it look fatter, 2300cc emblazoned down the side which made my Diavel's 1198 seem limp as, and the piece de resistance, 6 cylinders!! It had a custom paint job and the engine sounded amazing when he left. :)

That said, in the UK we have lots of tight windy roads, clearly it wont stop and corner like a Diavel so it wouldn't be for me at this moment in my life, but I was impressed. For US roads I dare say it would be awesome.

If I were you, I'd get one :D

Edit to say, I thought it sounded like a WWII Plane when it took off down the road :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
I looked at the Diavel until I looked at the 2018 Aprilia Tuorno Factory
Both cracking bikes, (I have the original Gen1 Tuono R Limited) the Diavel is quite a relaxed ride position with a stupid amount of grunt, I love it :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That said, in the UK we have lots of tight windy roads, clearly it wont stop and corner like a Diavel so it wouldn't be for me at this moment in my life, but I was impressed. For US roads I dare say it would be awesome.

If I were you, I'd get one :D

Edit to say, I thought it sounded like a WWII Plane when it took off down the road :)
Sorry about the delayed response; haven't checked the forum in a long time!

The wheelbase of Rocket 3 is massive! So, may not be too nimble. However, Triumph is on a roll now; churning out some good models. So, I expect the handling to be well sorted. However, one massive concern is, the header pipes are too close to the leg. The rider's leg could almost touch them, from the pictures I see on the site. Though I have a TFC coming in, I'm concerned about the possible heat issues. Not sure if I should take delivery! If I cancel it, in summer, I could test-ride a R version and decide; but, the TFC has the Arrow pipes I really I want! I'm torn!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I was out to buy a Cruiser years ago and test rode both the Triumph Rocket Roadster/standard, Ducati Diavel, and the 2011 Triumph Thunderbird Storm, I was very Surprised how light the Rocket 3 was being it has such a large engine and shaft drive. I bought the 2011Triumph Storm (2011 model has 105 hp 115 torque=highest or any year) as it was the best handling and the smoothest transmission I have ever experienced on any motorcycle. BUT the Rocket and Diavel handling was MUCH closer than I had expected .
I would not be surprised if this new model Rocket 3 was on par or close to par with the current Diavel. Just remember as with any shaft drive you have to have the bike more upright before opening up the throttle fully as all shaft drive units the torque pushes the tire away from the motorcycle cause loss of traction.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would not be surprised if this new model Rocket 3 was on par or close to par with the current Diavel. Just remember as with any shaft drive you have to have the bike more upright before opening up the throttle fully as all shaft drive units the torque pushes the tire away from the motorcycle cause loss of traction.
That's a great input; thanks, Roehr. Never ridden a shaft-driven bike before. This characteristic would be a major limitation with my natural riding instincts, since all my bikes have been sports. This Muscle Roadster (as Triumph calls it) would be a complete departure, IF I get it. I'm eagerly waiting on magazine/independent reviews. I need to read/view them all before deciding.

I also expect the handling of Rocket 3 to be pretty good, given the weight and shaft drive. Existing Rocket III riders who have checked it out in UK (not riding, just sitting on) have commented that the size is very compact as compared to outgoing gen. The R version (which is similar to TFC) has sportier feel by slightly reaching forward to the bar. The pegs aren't too forward, unlike GT version. But, I'm too concerned about the leg at almost touching-gap with the header pipes!!

Attachments

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Registered
369 Posts
The Rocket III looks fantastic, more so in TFC guise. I saw it at the recent bike show and chatted with one of their factory guys. It was developed with a Diavel sat next to it so they are aiming at that square on. It's a cracking bike, very comfortable, much lighter than the original and I expect it will be awesome and handle/stop well to boot.

If I could get a TFC I would have my name on it, but all UK examples are sold and have been since very early on.

I wouldn't worry about the exhaust, didn't notice it as an issue when I sat on the show bike and my Diavel pipes are virtually on the leg also, it's fine, the jeans are a little shiny in that one patch so maybe not ride in shorts ;)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
. . . If I could get a TFC I would have my name on it, but all UK examples are sold and have been since very early on. . .
Hi Nito. After a call from my Triumph dealer about my Daytona, I learnt the Rocket TFCs (sold as you say) are being delivered to dealers within the next week or so. Triumph is doing very well out of this 'TFC' lark. Worked well with the Thruxtons and also, despite not being a genuine TFC, the Daytona Limited Edition Moto 2.

The Daytona, I have been officially informed, is way ahead of schedule with production completed and delivery expected within the next 2 - 3 weeks as opposed to its original forecast of March. Obviously I am happy. :smile2:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Love the engine on these bikes - Nearly bought a gen 1 but could never get over that ugly rhs tank shape - glad to see they fixed it up on the new model

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been reading/watching all the reviews I can find. They're all positive. But, I passed up on the TFC. Since I've never ridden a bike like this before, I need a few hours of riding before deciding. Besides, I like the red of R than all-black TFC. But, the pipes from TFC seem mandatory as the R and GT sound like mopeds!! Terrible! Thanks, Euro 5! So far, the sound seems like the only negative.

Reactions: nigelrb
1 - 20 of 20 Posts