MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a connection under the seat where my trickle charger can connect but I don't get a light. Then I noticed the extra wiring that came in the box with the charger. Do we have to connect and route the wiring ourselves or am I just missing something?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did you fix that? Are you talking reversed where it connected to the battery or someplace else?

·
Registered
294 Posts
The plug can only fit one way. Since I didn't know which one is the "correct" one, I cut the wires coming out of the charger, reversed them and reconnected. But as I said before, you need to verify that is the case. You need a voltmeter to do so. First determine which side of the plug is positive. If you don't have a voltmeter, you can use a small 12v bulb such as one from turn signals. You don't need to turn the ignition on. Using two pieces of cable lit the bulb from the plug on the bike first. Then, remove one cable from the plug and short it someplace on the bike; If the bulb lits then the side where the cable is stuck is the positive side. Sorry for the long answer but I presumed you didn't know how to check the polarity. I just went to the garage to check if the cable from the charger was marked to identify the polarity but there is none. So you need a voltmeter. Final resort, just reverse it anyway. I bet it is reversed if the red light is coming on when you plug it on.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Used someone else's charger straight to the battery. Problem is, the red light doesn't come on when it's plugged in. According to the instructions, red light means charging. Important thing is the battery is now reconditioned and charged so I can figure out the charger problem when I have an empty wkd. My connection is under the seat. It's a two prong plug about 3/4" wide that matches the end of the trickle charger.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Works fine.

I just used my charger. It worked fine. Red light at first, then green when charged and on trickle mode.
It is supposed to be hooked up from the factory correctly.

·
Administrator
18,813 Posts
Actually, trickle charger connections made by dealer when battery is serviced and installed at PDI. Still, a very easy thing to check the polarity.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Actually, trickle charger connections made by dealer when battery is serviced and installed at PDI.
Are you sure about this? At least with the 312, charger connection is part of the main harness. If it was true, I wouldn't be surprised a bit since it would be my Joe Dirt mechanic.

·
Administrator
18,813 Posts
Can't say for certain about 312R, but on my 910R it is installed by the dealer. I have the instruction sheet from MV amongst my documents.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The more I look at it the more positive I am that the wiring/plug came in the box with the charger, ie, uninstalled. Typical service around here though so not surprising at all.

·
Registered
861 Posts
um on my f41000r i cant even get to the battery the negative terminal its a pain in the behind i have a battery tender jr am i missing something does mv have a special trickle charger?

·
Administrator
18,813 Posts
Battery tender has pig-tail that you attach to the battery so you can quickly and easily connect the charger without tools or aggravation. My 910R came with one, made in Italy, but you can buy them anywhere. Doesn't your Battery tender JR have that set-up? or is it alligator clips?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Battery threads are my pet peeve...

Please, just put an Oddyssey battery in and be done with the aggravation... 3 different bikes @ 3 years each without issue or charger... Works for me... A $30k bike with a battery that won't hold a charge! Now that's funny!

·
Administrator
18,813 Posts
On the other hand...my Yuasa MF 9 amp hour (same as in the MV) battery in my old Yamaha 600 lasted 8 years before I replaced it. The replacement was 3 years old when i sold the bike last summer and the new owner has had no problems. I think it has to do with the way the battery is initialized at set-up and maintained afterwards. No doubt the Oddyssey batteries are good, but a properly serviced and maintained Yuasa MF battery is perfectly suitable and up to the task, IMHO.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
On the other hand...my Yuasa MF 9 amp hour (same as in the MV) battery in my old Yamaha 600 lasted 8 years before I replaced it. The replacement was 3 years old when i sold the bike last summer and the new owner has had no problems. I think it has to do with the way the battery is initialized at set-up and maintained afterwards. No doubt the Oddyssey batteries are good, but a properly serviced and maintained Yuasa MF battery is perfectly suitable and up to the task, IMHO.
I'm with Ed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
For those of us who didnt get one stock, Pep boys sells a Battery Tender for $30. Install the pigtail on the battery and plug in the other end into the wall and walk away. When voltae drops below a certain level it goes to work and shuts off automatically.
Christian

·
Registered
294 Posts
For those ones who would consider buying a trickle charger, I would recommend an Optimate charger. It comes with a plug/pigtail cord and also clamps too. What makes it more desirable is the way it charges the battery and how it maintains it afterwards. Take a look at it before you buy one.

·
Administrator
18,813 Posts
I'm in agreement with Ruhi on that one. Optimate is recommended by most bike manufacturers, too.

·
Registered
861 Posts
i have the pig tail thing but im wondering can i get the battery out with out taking the seat off it appears to be very hard to reach

1 - 20 of 25 Posts