MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a travel agent to book a trip for New Zealand and Australia. I have a good idea of where I want to go and what I want to see. Holding out until covid blows over but starting to plan right now. If anybody knows of a good travel agent let me know.

So far we want to fly into Sydney
Travel up the Gold Coast
Head on over to New Zealand and experience the Lord of the Rings tour
Then go over to Tasmania and spend about a week there
Then finish up in Western Australia

Looking at spending about a month total so there's room for suggestions.

Also if you live in either of these places and have any must see attractions in your area post them below. Thank you!

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
We look to welcoming you to down-under .... a couple of questions though.

Why the zig-zag ?
Riding or driving ?
Rough time-line (time of year and duration)

Cheers

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@cruiser I am definitely open to suggestions! Nothing is set in stone but I picked that order due to what I thought would be more advantageous logistically.

All major airlines come in and out of Sydney fairly inexpensively compared to the other airports. So I figure we would start in Sydney and end in Sydney. Take a boat or a plane to New Zealand. Then take a boat or a plane to Tasmania and then WA and back to Sydney. That's what makes sense in my mind for the things we want to see but you all know it better than i do so you won't offend me telling me to do it completely differently!

That's why I think I need a travel agent or probably even better a few locals to help out!

Time line is a year or so away. I am going with my Uncle who is a retired history professor. He is keen on going about as soon as things are completely open with no restrictions.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and we would be driving. I had asperations of riding but my uncle is not up for that.

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
Primary travel would be east to west, then north to south...then west again before starting the return trip so....
If Houston flights are up and running again then.
Houston to Auckland (else lax) - rent car etc.
Auckland to Brisbane - rent car and drive to Gold Coast, then continue drive to Sydney.
fly from Sydney to Tasmania.
Tasmania to WA
WA back to Mebourne.
Melbourne to home.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll look into that strategy a bit more. Thanks

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keeping in the theme of planning, what time of year is best? Factoring in weather temperature and busyness as far as tourism. Is there a sweet spot where it's not too cold and not too hot and not too busy?

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
November through March is a good window for weather. (Spring Summer). It's a temprate climate in NZ.
Aussie can get a lot hotter in summer but at its worst about same as AZ. Think San Diego to Seattle climate ranges. (Gold coast to Tasmania)

·
Registered
267 Posts
For WA the best time of the year weatherwise in the South West is April. The Yallingup - Margaret River area is a must see, spectacular coast, monster surf and great vineyards, then South Coast, Denmark-Walpole-Albany and the great Karri forests, and the wild Esperance and Recherche Achipelago is wonderful.
WA is enourmous, and too big to drive everywhere. Broome and the Kimberly are amazing too, only 2,000km from Perth!

Reactions: Figifister

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
Hello.
I hope this does not conflict too much with the other advice you'll receive.
It's such a long way to travel that it would do you a disservice not to ensure you see the jewels in the crown.
May I suggest with absolute confidence that if you're travelling to New Zealand that you drop the Lord of the Rings part of your journey and replace that with a trip around the South Island of New Zealand.
In February.
Why February?
School holidays are over / the weather is at it's best and most settled.

Thinking about it, why not drop the whole idea of going to Australia or Tasmania (which technically belongs to New Zealand but because it's quite close to Australia the claim Tasmania to be theirs).
I should point out that New Zealanders are not as handsome, pretty or intelligent as our Australian friends but we are more humble and willing to compliment than those less fortunate than us. It's just our way. :rolleyes:

If you're planning on visiting the North Island it would be rude not to drop by.

Dave.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Forget NZ altogether!!! Unless you have a translator🤣jk.
Western Australia and Tassie August to early November I would recommend.

Reactions: Figifister

·
Super Moderator
23,950 Posts
Dave, I love your work my friend!
Another pitch for more time in New Zealand.....they let you drive exotic cars naked!

New Zealand was a ton of fun and it is beautiful. One of the cleanest places I have ever been. Our hosts, Dave and Melanie, gave us a very comprehensive and well thought out experience that covered both the North and South Islands.

My opinion, FWIW, is that you need more time. We spent three weeks in NZ and only got a cursory feel for what is possible there. I would think a month in Australia and three weeks in NZ would be nice. (Only because OZ is much bigger). I would be tempted to split that into two trips so that you don't short yourself on the hospitality of those two countries.

With any luck, you get to meet the Lawn Bowls Legend himself.....

I'd hold out for the Beautiful and Gracious Melanie though.....

Comedic interlude aside, we take you back to the thread already in progress......

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Allot of really good suggestions for sure! Now to do some research on the places y'all listed. I would welcome meeting up with anyone when we are over there aswell. If nothing else to see some nice MVs!

Reactions: The_castle

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I can give you advice on Tassie , lived there before moving to Canada two years ago . It’s the pick of the whole lot but I might but be biased.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can give you advice on Tassie , lived there before moving to Canada two years ago . It’s the pick of the whole lot but I might but be biased.
What are some must see places in Tassie?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Cradle mountain,/ “The Wall” (Gallery)/ Wine glass bay/Hobart/Mt Wellington/Port Arthur/ Basically land in Hobart and drive clockwise or anticlockwise right around till you get back to Hobart then drive up the middle to Davenport and get the ferry over to Melbourne, simple lol.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you come to Sydney I can reccomend some good breweies, Indian eateries & swimming places??
Reccomend keeping away Jan Feb as too busy/hot
I'm sure Scott can reccomend some places over in Tax, your probably get good exchange rates as well
Enjoy

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I suppose it really depends on your interests.
I have travelled the entire country in helicopter and some road.
Personally I find the Gold Coast a bit of a tourist trap and not the best Australia has to offer. PSA I'm from that part of the world. That being said the Gold Coast hinterland is quite nice.

The harbour area in Sydney is great, other than just pass on through. Too much traffic, too many people.

As for time of year. Our winters are not as cold as yours. Do Tassie early autumn or late spring to catch it at its best. If you did Tassie early autumn you could move to the mainland as it gets cooler and work your way up to the sun. Tassie: Port Arthur is our first penal settlement and quite interesting, you could spend the entire day there. Also try MONA and Hobart itself is quite interesting. If you like the outdoors Tassie is amazing for national parks. It is also quite well known now for mountain biking.

WA is great but a long way to go. The Margaret river region is fantastic. Treat yourself to a nice lunch at the Eagle Bay Brewery. Margaret river is great at Cabernet Merlot IMO.

I would strongly suggest going to the Great Barrier Reef and doing a trip out on the water.

The best wine regions in the country are in South Australia. Whilst the Barossa is the most famous I prefer Mclaren Vale, Adelaide Hills and Langhorne Creek. The food culture in SA is probably the best in the country. IMO not in small part due to the interesting mix of German and Italian immigrant influence.

If you are over here tick a massive box and hire an S1000RR for a day and do a track day at Phillip Island. You won't regret it :)
You can hire everything you need :) Phillip Island Ride Days

Canberra, where I live now is man made. If your uncle is interested in history he would likely enjoy the Australian war memorial and some of the galleries on the foreshore of Lake Burleigh Griffin. On first arrival it does seem quite clean and uninteresting. It has alot of outdoor activities right at the door step and is known as the "Bush Capital"....unfortunately it also has alot of politicians :LOL:

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now I'm thinking 1 month is not enough! I guess I'm going to have to get more structured and enter all these places on a spreadsheet and come up with a timeline.

I could maybe swing 2 months. Going to depend on my Uncle, as his health is sometimes not the best. I am getting very excited and I really appreciate all the help!

Reactions: silentservice703
1 - 20 of 37 Posts