MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i've had a chance to put some more miles on my mv. not nearly as much as i'd like, mind you. good weather should be here for sunday (so. cal.) so i'm thinking i'll head up to malibu (rock store)...maybe.

anyway, the tranny is much smoother than my first impression indicated. it works great with a clutchless upshift, and a little tap on the lever is all that's needed to drop a gear.

but finding neutral is a huge problem for me! i keep skipping right past it. trying to go from second down into N, or first up, i just hit the next gear.

i think it might be my use of the clutch. I like to put my first two fingers on the clutch lever, and the rest of my fingers go around the grip. obviously, i can't pull the lever all the way to the bar using that grip because my fingers are in the way. which seems to leave the clutch ever so slightly engaged.

so, when i put all 4 fingers over the lever, and pull it all the way to the bar, i can find neutral pretty easy.

has anyone else noticed this?

alex

ps - looks like my neutral light is on the fritz too. when the bike is running, the light does NOT come on when i get it into neutral. however, if i shut off the motor with the key, then turn the key to "on", the green neutral light comes on. i'll have to take it to the dealer to check this out.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
If your oil level is slightly high it might cause the problem you've indicated Alex. I'd check that first.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
john said:
If your oil level is slightly high it might cause the problem you've indicated Alex. I'd check that first.
thanks for that!
i'll check that right away.

alex

·
Registered
151 Posts
1st of all congrats on your agusta, 2nd of all HA :D I live in Aliso and work in Irvine if you work near the spectrum let me know my coworkers and I ride to lunch most fridays..

Now I had the F4 750 and it did the same thing, I currently have the F41000 and the neutral light is still a problem to a degree, the transmission is very smooth, much smoother then the 750.. but the nuetral light still doesnt show sometimes when the bike is actually in neutral.. it just takes a VERY slight tap and the light comes on ... but personally I learn to live with it, its not a big problem so I am not too concerned with it really, as long as mechanically everything is working ok, I dont have a problem.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have also learned to live with this, but you do have to wonder as to why what appears such a simple thing seems so hit and miss. Never had any such prob with any Jap stuff I have has.

I just put it down to tempremental Italian machinery :)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
HI Altoon,

I've never messed with it myself but in my experience chain condition has an effect on how accurate the neutral switch is. Tighten/slacken correctly and make sure it's well lubed. If it continues to act up look behind the right side frame plate for the gear position switch connection and troubleshoot as follows:

EDIT: I should add that I HAVE seen this connection to be somewhat 'loose' before, could be an indicator of just a poor connection. Unplug it, clean it up and see if that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts