MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm taking a trip with the family to Lake Tahoe. Gotta pack the truck full of the wife and kids.... want to take my bike for a few spins around the lake while I'm there. I've trailered a lot of bikes in my past, but the F4 doesn't appear to be very trailer friendly. My concern is that I can't determine the tie down points and I don't want the straps to cause abrasions on the bike -- I want a straight run of strap from point to point without touching any other part of the bike. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I would do front triple tree and rear wheel with soft cotton raps at all contact points. I'd also chuck the front and use the rear wheel stand to stablize.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, when I picked mine up I used a dingus that goes around the grips and has a soft covering for the top triple clamp. I just used 400 lb tie downs from that to the trailer. Rear ones I put around the seat stays, not too tight, just snug. These days I also use the same system for my GSXR track bike, with a baxley sport chock as well (no side stand); the baxley rocks, and makes this whole thing a stress free one person job.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips -- the Baxley sport chock looks like the way to go. Never heard of a dingus , though ..... ???

·
Registered
259 Posts
Would concur on Baxley, particularly if you can mount it with removable bolts (they make a trailer mounting kit). This way, you can pull it off trailer at your destination -- particularly nice at the track.

I've been using the Canyon Dancer, and find that it's WAY too easy to overtighten things. If you use rear straps on the subframe (best up under the seat), you really don't need much pressure on the grips -- you can keep the front straps fairly loose, and you won't muck up the grips at all.

It seems to work -- the Canyon Dancer keeps the bike from backing up, and the rear straps cinch everything down and keep it in place.

Will be trying the tire tie-downs soon - http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-trailer/motorcycle-trailer-tie-down.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nice trailer there TClinton, I've just got a dodgy looking thing, and have been meaning to get something good built. But I just couldn't come up with any ideas, do you mind posting some closer pics of yours?

Cheers

·
Registered
225 Posts
I know this is an old thread but for what it's worth I tie down my bike from the rear pillion pegs and have never had a bike fall down on me and I've trailered bikes from the UK to the south of france on numerous occasions and hit speeds of about 90mph averaging about 12 hours from Calais to Cannes!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
No problem M&J. Threw a few pictures here for you: http://mvagusta.net/gallery/tclinton

(keep clicking -- the pictures will get quite big & detailed)

Since that photo was taken, I've removed the factory chocks and have put Baxleys on there. This way, I can ride the bike on without needing to worry about supporting it while I look for straps. The Baxleys also come off with two bolts, so you can drop 'em to the ground during track days or at your parking lot destination.

The trailer is from H&H trailers... their stainless steel product line. This one has a folding tail and collapsible neck, so you can stand it up in a garage.

I used to have the slightly smaller version of this trailer (with a triangular nose), too. If you're considering them, I'm glad to offer any help -- shoot me a PM. Same offer if you're thinking of building - I can shoot some underside photos for you so you can see the frame.

Generally very satisfied with it. Stainless is such a breeze -- hit it with the hose when you return from a trip, and fuggetaboudid. It definitely gets a lot of compliments.

Did a little research for you and was going to send you their website... but found that they discontinued the darned things! That surprises me as the trailers are built like a tank and about the only stainless ones I've seen. H&H is in the business of big haulers, so I'm guessing the small bike trailers just weren't high profit, particuarly if they had to configure for stainless production separately for them.

If nothing else, here's a link to a .pdf file that describes the two versions they used to make! I did see a few on dealer websites still, but I guess it's down to whatever happens to be on the property.

http://www.hhtrailer.com/pdf/2006StainlessCatalog.pdf

·
Registered
479 Posts
Soft straps around the triples and rearsets. I took the bodywork off as the straps hit the fairings with the tie down points in my truck.

Now with the Baxley, it's all easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts