MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

So I'm considering the B800 as one of the replacement for my Speed Triple. I live in an urban environment and commute about 50 miles a day. This bike will by no means be a commuter bike or my main motorcycle. I also own a cafe'd Bonneville and a CB1100 that I have set up for pillion and touring. I'm basically looking for something sporty, light weight, and fun.

The speed triple is a great bike and very versatile. It is fast and surprisingly very comfortable. But riding it in urban environments were a chore. It is top heavy combined with a tallish seat and that made it tough in heavy traffic. On top of that, it wasn't really a "fun" bike unless I was completely disobeying the law.

Right now my short list includes the KTM Duke 690, 13' Triumph Street Triple R, Ducati Monster 796/1100, Ducati Streetfighter 848, and MV Agusta B800. I'd like to get some opinions on these bikes, whether you have previously owned one, cross shopped these, or ultimately what made you choose the B800.

Thanks!
Hung

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Hey Everyone,

So I'm considering the B800 as one of the replacement for my Speed Triple. I live in an urban environment and commute about 50 miles a day. This bike will by no means be a commuter bike or my main motorcycle. I also own a cafe'd Bonneville and a CB1100 that I have set up for pillion and touring. I'm basically looking for something sporty, light weight, and fun.

The speed triple is a great bike and very versatile. It is fast and surprisingly very comfortable. But riding it in urban environments were a chore. It is top heavy combined with a tallish seat and that made it tough in heavy traffic. On top of that, it wasn't really a "fun" bike unless I was completely disobeying the law.

Right now my short list includes the KTM Duke 690, 13' Triumph Street Triple R, Ducati Monster 796/1100, Ducati Streetfighter 848, and MV Agusta B800. I'd like to get some opinions on these bikes, whether you have previously owned one, cross shopped these, or ultimately what made you choose the B800.

Thanks!
Hung
Welcome Hung.....tell us a little more about yourself. Where are you from?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome Hung.....tell us a little more about yourself. Where are you from?
Hi Randarosa,

Thank you for the welcome. I'm from the Philadelphia region, 31 and married with about 7k miles under my belt. I don't really wish to lose my license or fear of it everytime I take out the S3. I consider myself to have quite a bit of self control, but I can't help myself everytime I ride it.

I understand that the B800 will probably be just as quick as the S3 given it's much lower weight. But hopefully it will be just as much fun going through the slower tight stuff as it is blasting around. The S3 was somewhat of a chore. I know there are many riders who prefer to have to man handle a bike. To be honest, I have way more fun on my Bonneville riding on the street than I do with the S3, and that's what it should be all about.

My main priorities in order are: Fun, Nimble/Lightweight, Styling, Reliability, Dealer Network/Support, Price. Notice how I put price last. This isn't because I'm so well off that I don't care what I spend. But considering my list of contenders, there's the $8k KTM all the way up to $13k SF848. I would consider the SF848 if it provided me more of what I"m looking for. I really wish it were simple to test ride these bikes, but none of the dealerships around here allow that and I don't see any demo days planned.

I need some help folks!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Hi Hung,

I've just chopped in a 2010 Z1000 for a B800 and its the best thing I ever did :)
I'm still taking it easy as I've only covered 300 miles but I recon its easily as quick as the Zed was and you certainly notice that your not dragging that extra 30kgs. The suspension is the firm side of comfortable especially if the road surface isn't too great but it handles beautifully, you only need to look at a corner and the thing is dropping in before you know it.
Legs aren't too cramped, the seat is thin though and I find body position has a forward bias so pushes weight onto your wrists and so a bit of a drag in town but all that is forgotten once you get out there, a bit of speed take the weight off your wrists making it more comfortable. I'd say about 1-2hrs and you'll be wanting to stop for a stretch and probably need to top up with fuel anyhow?
The engines not as smooth as the Zed was low down in the rev range, 1-4000rpm but I put this down to it being a triple rather than anything to do with the fuelling, it's not that it's lumpy or lurching unpredictably it just feels bogged down in any gear. I've riddled twins before and some older Ducati 748's so I know what they were like but I've only ever owned jap 4 cylinders so I think I've been spoilt with their smooth drive from 0 to redline, especially the zed.

And the sound of that exhaust when it's on song is hypnotic, In fact I think the thing that first turned me toward an MV was hearing the F3 at the Isle of Man TT, that and the fact I fancied something lighter, sharper handling and with a bit of character and the B800 certainly's got that :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hey Hung,

I think you have some tough choice's ahead. I haven't ridden one yet but from months of collecting information and talking to other members the B3 800 will easily cover your priorities of fun, styling, nimble and lightweight. The tough choice will come from reliability, and it's really to early to call yet. I don't believe there have been any horror stories yet. The fuelling everyone bleats on about will improve and get smoother over time, but most riders like Chris above don't see it as a problem at all. Dealer network is small but growing, I guess it depends if you have a MV dealer near you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Hung,

I've just chopped in a 2010 Z1000 for a B800 and its the best thing I ever did :)
I'm still taking it easy as I've only covered 300 miles but I recon its easily as quick as the Zed was and you certainly notice that your not dragging that extra 30kgs. The suspension is the firm side of comfortable especially if the road surface isn't too great but it handles beautifully, you only need to look at a corner and the thing is dropping in before you know it.
Legs aren't too cramped, the seat is thin though and I find body position has a forward bias so pushes weight onto your wrists and so a bit of a drag in town but all that is forgotten once you get out there, a bit of speed take the weight off your wrists making it more comfortable. I'd say about 1-2hrs and you'll be wanting to stop for a stretch and probably need to top up with fuel anyhow?
The engines not as smooth as the Zed was low down in the rev range, 1-4000rpm but I put this down to it being a triple rather than anything to do with the fuelling, it's not that it's lumpy or lurching unpredictably it just feels bogged down in any gear. I've riddled twins before and some older Ducati 748's so I know what they were like but I've only ever owned jap 4 cylinders so I think I've been spoilt with their smooth drive from 0 to redline, especially the zed.

And the sound of that exhaust when it's on song is hypnotic, In fact I think the thing that first turned me toward an MV was hearing the F3 at the Isle of Man TT, that and the fact I fancied something lighter, sharper handling and with a bit of character and the B800 certainly's got that :D
Hey Ackers,

Thanks for your input. I think perhaps it is indeed a characteristics of a triple engine. I have a parallel twin and I-4 in the garage for comparison. Even though the S3 has gobs of torque and is the quickest by far, it definitely does not like higher gears and anything below 2.5k rpms. I even went +2 in the back and it still exhibited this behavior.

When you decided to trade in the Z1000, did you cross shop other bikes at the same time? Seems like I am going down a similar direction as you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Hung,

I think you have some tough choice's ahead. I haven't ridden one yet but from months of collecting information and talking to other members the B3 800 will easily cover your priorities of fun, styling, nimble and lightweight. The tough choice will come from reliability, and it's really to early to call yet. I don't believe there have been any horror stories yet. The fuelling everyone bleats on about will improve and get smoother over time, but most riders like Chris above don't see it as a problem at all. Dealer network is small but growing, I guess it depends if you have a MV dealer near you.
Hey DeadHead,

Yes, I've been reading a lot of reviews and just doing some research overall on different bikes. Not to say reliability and dealer network aren't important, but they are at the bottom of my list. I still felt it imperative to list them. I don't know if I would consider this bike if it were to be my main one. But I'm fortunate to have rock solid bikes with dealers only minutes away in my stable.

Actually, the MV dealer network around me isn't too bad. We have Fast by Ferraci about 20 mins away and Eurosports is 55 mins away. I have to admit that the B3 800 is currently at the top of my list. It's pretty rare to see one in my part of town and there's a certain mystique, exotica if you will with owning an MV.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Have you had a chance to demo any of the bikes on your list? Demos are what always sell me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you had a chance to demo any of the bikes on your list? Demos are what always sell me.

I have not been able to demo any of them. It's near impossible to get dealers to allow test rides and I don't see any demo days right now. I am going purely off reviews, sitting on the bikes, and my guy instinct. I'm hoping other members can share their insights and help me make a decision.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
When you decided to trade in the Z1000, did you cross shop other bikes at the same time? Seems like I am going down a similar direction as you.
To be honest I didn't, the new Z800 didn't appeal as its heavier than the Z1000 :jsm: The Ducati SF was too much money for me and I didn't want to ride it in case i liked it :laughing: And the Triumph Speed triple is the wrong side of 200kg and those cans would have to go and the Street triple was a little small at 675 and i'm not sure about the new exhaust they've stolen off the FireBlade. Anther selling point for the MV is you won't want to go replacing that gorgeous exhaust so thats money saved :)

and there's a certain mystique, exotica if you will with owning an MV.
That was a big buying point for me too.

I think you'll struggle to find a B800 or any of the triples on demo for that matter they are in such short supply dealers cant afford to put one on as a demo, I certainly couldn't find one anywhere near me in the UK so I had to buy it having only sat on it :jsm: fortunately I wasn't disappointed when I got to ride it :)
(case in point, my dealer said he has 8 customers waiting for an F3 800 and he's just been told that amongst the next batch of bikes coming to the UK from MV there are only 4 F3 800's for the whole country :jsm: )

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would push hard to have them let you test as many as you can. I just sold my 06 speed triple for a '10 1090RR. Aside from getting used to the new ergos, the new bike just rips. I've always been drawn to bikes that aren't "run of the mill".. I'm also a speed freak so once I had a demo on the 1090, I was sold.

Aside from that, I would go with the bike that you keep looking at and sitting on. There's always that one that you keep putting your eye on :) have to say the b800 is a gorgeous bike- especially the triple cans. Hott.

·
Registered
247 Posts

Getting a demo on an MV is a tough ask. There just isn't the supply for a dealer to have a model for demo. My local dealer is sold out of B3 800 and is talking to the UK importers about restocking, which might be 6/8 weeks. The F3 800 which he has 4 due in has already pre-sold.
Damn shame we can't try them out but I am happy MV are doing well.
The only bike I have tried on the list the OP mentioned was the STR. My verdict..Nice bike, just not very exciting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the Street triple was a little small at 675 and i'm not sure about the new exhaust they've stolen off the FireBlade. Anther selling point for the MV is you won't want to go replacing that gorgeous exhaust so thats money saved :)
Aside from that, I would go with the bike that you keep looking at and sitting on. There's always that one that you keep putting your eye on :) have to say the b800 is a gorgeous bike- especially the triple cans. Hott.
I agree that if I get the B800, it will be the first bike that I will keep the stock cans on, they are gorgeous and it caught my eye immediately. If I went with the Street triple, I would need to get a new slip-on, flyscreen, and belly pan immediately. That would bring the cost of the bike up another 1k, making it only $1k less than the MV. It's hard ever leaving stock alone and I know I would do FEK, carbon front fender, carbon air intake ducts, steering damper, and possibly mirrors on the B800.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Don't forget a tail tidy ;)
I might get the front fender sprayed red to match the tail rather than carbon, did the whole carbon thing on my last bike, I had some Rizoma mirrors which went straight on, and I took off the pillion pegs :)

As for a damper I think I'll wait until more options become available, I had an ohlins unit off my Zed but decided its too big to fit so I've sold it on.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I sold my panigale as it just wasn't a great fit for me, a massively fun bike and wonderful on the track , but found myself walking by it to another bike go out for a ride.

I had a 910S brutale and overall was a pretty fun bike. I like the naked platform anyway and still have my 1098 streetfighter I've logged 24k miles on.

Less than a 100 miles on my 800 since picking up saturday, but a bunch of that is in the N. Ga mountains. BIke handling out of the box is great. Perhaps a slight hesitation in S mode on acceleration but still too early to form an opinion. Bike is very smooth and handles bumps reasonably well.

The build quality is very good tho I think perhaps a notch below the 910 I had But considering price it seems a pretty good deal. This bike is very light! and pulling the passenger pegs and some other things I plan to make it lighter still.

Not big into customizing, bike kinda looks good just as it is. I'm thinking of having the front fender painted like the 1090 corsa, red and white.

One downside you might encounter, potential downtime for service/parts issues. I've been away from MVs for a few years so that may have changed. But this limited production, some trade offs have to be accepted. It's always wise with any Italian bike to have at least one other bike for those times.

Anyway just my take on things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree that if I get the B800, it will be the first bike that I will keep the stock cans on, they are gorgeous and it caught my eye immediately. If I went with the Street triple, I would need to get a new slip-on, flyscreen, and belly pan immediately. That would bring the cost of the bike up another 1k, making it only $1k less than the MV. It's hard ever leaving stock alone and I know I would do FEK, carbon front fender, carbon air intake ducts, steering damper, and possibly mirrors on the B800.
I'm brand new here - I currently have a Honda 919 (Hornet 900), and have been lusting over the 800 for many months now! The local MV dealer only has 2 800s in the first shipment and they're both already sold, so they let me demo the 675 and the 1090R. Obviously the 1090 is loads of fun! but I was more impressed with the 675 - mostly because you get so much in a smaller package. The bike is absolutely brilliant - so I can only imagine how great the 800 will be!
My only complaint is the mirrors and the seat - which is common for many bikes. I'm 6'1" and the mirrors are almost useless. Even after adjusting them I kept having to move my head down and bring my elbows in to see anything. The seat was ok when I started the ride, but started getting uncomfortable after 30-40 minutes. Those two things would be at the top of my list for upgrades, but otherwise, the Brutales are fantastic bikes!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I say go for the bike you really want. It sounds like the b800 - so just do it! If it turns out a year from now you want something else, you can trade her in.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't forget a tail tidy ;)
I might get the front fender sprayed red to match the tail rather than carbon, did the whole carbon thing on my last bike, I had some Rizoma mirrors which went straight on, and I took off the pillion pegs :)

As for a damper I think I'll wait until more options become available, I had an ohlins unit off my Zed but decided its too big to fit so I've sold it on.
Haha, sorry FEK is what I"m used to calling it on the Bonneville and CB1100 because they have actual Startrek Enterprises in the rear. So yes, a tail tidy is what I meant ;). I would probably remove the rear pegs too since I only take the CB when riding with my wife. Were they hard to take off?

And thanks for the input Zvez. I wish we had Brutale B3 picture thread. I'm having such a hard time deciding on colors. I love the classic MV Red/Silver but my Speed Triple is red and so is the CB1100, so I'm looking for a change of pace. I really like the red frame, but am not sure if there is just a little too much going on...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Out of the bikes that you're debating the only competition is the Ducati monster line. I just sold my Ducati monster evo and it was an amazing bike. I would recommend that you demo that bike before you decide. For around the city it was great. That being said i just picked up my 800 and I love it. It's quirky but it excels in the areas that are most important to me. Handling, and power. I bought the silver with the red frame and I absolutely adore it. But like I said, demo a monster first. It might suit you better not sure what you're looking for.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Were they hard to take off?
Nah, a doddle, just undo the under tray trim, four bolts and its off. 20mins max. Their actually one piece going from one peg up begin the trim across and down the other side.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts