MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently bought a B800 which comes with traction control over eight levels and as all the newer MV's all feature something similar my question is "do you trust it".

I am an old dog (57) but happy to learn new tricks, just how far can you push this technology? What level are you dialing in? Is it any good or is old skool still the best bet?

Having seen Danny P and Crsitian Iddon both get launched this week what do you think?

jimboF4

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
As long Marques is not around: yes!! :D

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I think for any of us old school, certainly me, your brain just doesn't compute the idea of gassing it mid corner and relying on some box of tricks under the seat to sort it all out for you.
I'm no slouch but in all my years one the road I've never found myself saying hello to the rear wheel mid corner and a good job too ;)
Saying that I think the benefits of it in the wet, touching the white lines, diesel etc is obvious?

I've got mine set on No.3 of 8, and i usually find it cuts in over bumps and cats eyes but it feels a bit agricultural to be honest, cutting the engine so abruptly if feels like a miss fire and almost chucks you over the handlebars.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Haha. So, I'm not the only one who's old school. :)

What's always on my mind is, I suppose it works but what about the one time it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Got mine on number 8 and had it slide twice in the wet, don't trust it at all . It must work on wheel speed difference as you can do a burnout with no effect at all from the TC .

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I know it senses the engine revs rising faster than expected, no wheel sensors front or rear, so as Ackers says it may be a bit agricultural. I am on setting 2 of 8 at the mo. Still not brave enough to just gas it when cranked, at my age I don't bounce so good as I used to.
jimboF4

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Got mine on number 8 and had it slide twice in the wet, don't trust it at all . It must work on wheel speed difference as you can do a burnout with no effect at all from the TC .
Wheel speed difference, what as in front wheel? Can't be that, there is no wheel speed sensor on the front wheel? Maybe it just works on sudden increase in rear wheel revolutions and the speedo sensor?

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
trust it?

I'm going to let you folks work the bugs out of it......old school here

I don't need an electronic hiccup putting my old bones on the ground

the ABS on my R1150GS SUCKS.....it completely releases the front brakes on a small bump.....ugly feeling, totally unnecessary

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Just because the disc is there doesn't mean that a sensor is fitted. It's only mandated for euro models.

I am old fashioned. I don't do regular track days, so I don't get anywhere near pushing the limits of traction.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Isn't that disc to do with ABS?
There isn't abs on the B3. There is a wire to it so I presume it has a sensor and it goes to a box of tricks under the seat and it's not just a euro mandate?

As revhead says I don't go pushing to the limits of traction on the road but then if I hit upon something on the road it would be nice to think it would save me but I hope never to find out?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes there is a ring fitted but only to the back wheel, none on the front. So I suspect this is MV fitting for but not with ABS. I am sure the 2014 model will come with ABS (at extra cost), the rear disc being fitted with a ring is just MV using a common parts approach to the build.

I bought my B800 now so as not to have ABS, others will be drawn to the bike in 2014 because it does have an ABS option, but it's not for me, too old and long in the tooth, dear oh dear , I am beginning to sound like Noel now.:naughty:

jimboF4

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Most bikes use the same system as abs, ie a slotted disk on the front and rear wheel with a sensor detecting when the wheel stops or skids but in the case of TC when the wheel is turning faster than the other but also taking into account throttle position, gear, revs etc. But I have read that on MV's it's TC is monitored only by the speed of the crank, if it detects a sudden rise as it would when the rear wheel loses grip then it cuts in. Now if the same system is used on the B3 then I've no idea why the sensor is there unless it is used to compare the wheel speed to the crank speed?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Could it be an ABS sensor to compare the front and rear? Maybe assess that the rear wheel IS slowing down while the ABS restricts the front wheel from locking up. maybe a checknum to make sure that the ABS isn't stopping the bike FROM stopping? I'm sure any additional sensor in the rear would be present in the shop manual if anyone has one.

As for TC? I've got my B4 set to 2 of 8 and once had it at 5 and never noticed it. Drifted the rear around a corner at 5. I felt better with it off because I didn't expect anything, but with the cold and wet here, I figured better safe than sorry. It's probably a placebo function that makes you feel safer :)

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Experience from friends riding Ducati multistradas is that they ride heaps faster, partly as the bike is easy to ride (confidence inspiring) and partly as the traction control is an unconscious safety/backup if they use to much throttle resulting in the rider riding closer to the limits than if he didn't have traction control.

I recall coming across a report where we operate at 90% of the max safety. As the tyres, suspension, handling, electronics, etc improve we still operate at the same 90% just that the speeds, lean angles, etc are heaps greater. Unfortunately, our reaction time hasn't changed and neither have the road hazards (dirt, oil, etc) so while there are less incidents when there is one it is a big one. Where once we found the limits (had a crash but not to big as the speeds substantially slower a than today) and then knew where they were, it's quite probable that as the safety devices get better we no longer have a feel for the limits and now unknowingly ride much closer to the limits than we would like to.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had both TC and ABS on my Ducati Monster 1100. ABS was rather scary when it happened though. TCS saved my bacon once, and saved it BIG. I am thankful I had both of them when I needed em.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Question is do you trust it,no not really, do I use it, yes.
I set mine on either 2 or 4 depending on the day and how I feel. If the wife rides the bike I set it on 6 to 8.
The MV TC takes a bit to get your head around. I ride mostly slow twisty bumpy mountain roads and find it does intervene to much coming out of a corner leaning over if set to high ie over 4.
This system lets you spin the back wheel when riding, upright, all the time but the more lean angle you have and the more aggressive you are with the throttle it cuts the fuelling. I think a lot of people get confused with the TC cutting in with bad ride by wire fuelling. Cannot say for sure if there is a lean angle sensor, but one Aussie dealer says yes. Try not compare with other systems. I ride with a mate with a ZX10R and he rides this mountain in 1st gear with the kwaka TC on. His will stop all slides and just nails it all the time coming out of corners. By the way he cannot keep up with the 800. :)
You need to use the system the way MV intended it to work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts