MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Diverse riding styles. I like it. Manfred at some point seeing your tires after runs like that would be interesting. You guys a hauling ass as the expression goes.

· Registered
Tamburini, Corsacorta, Senna 750, 1000 S, 1000 R, F4 1078
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tire "picture " very much depends on outside and track temperature. I drive the Bridgestone Battlax Slick V02,
Uniform pattern in terms of wear, only at excessive temperatures and high torque when accelerating out of corners it does open up a bit.

· Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Do you have a preference for track/environmental temp for optimum tire performance? —at your skill level, riding within diverse conditions must be interesting. I’m curious as a life long street rider.

· Registered
447 Posts
What bikes are those? Both sound awesome. Are they much modified for track?

· Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What bikes are those? Both sound awesome. Are they much modified for track?
Dirk has a 1000R 312, I have the 1000S, both Gen1. Dirk's is original, only race fairings, modified (emptied) RG3, I have reverse shift, Cordona quick shifter , Oelins TSS rear damper, Bodis exhaust, Titanium downpipes, no PC. I have the same equipment for my 2nd racebike, but 1078 engine there with 16M ECU)

· Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have a preference for track/environmental temp for optimum tire performance? —at your skill level, riding within diverse conditions must be interesting. I’m curious as a life long street rider.
Well yes,
I prefer outside temp between 20°C and 30°C, 70...85 F.. if it is getting too hot, and speed and torque too high, it gets very critical. see this video, after 27 seconds.
I was ultra fast, outside temp. 35°C = 95 F,
I overdid it and it almost ended badly.
At this point the pit wall is very close...

· Registered
48 Posts
Well yes,
I prefer outside temp between 20°C and 30°C, 70...85 F.. if it is getting too hot, and speed and torque too high, it gets very critical. see this video, after 27 seconds.
I was ultra fast, outside temp. 35°C = 95 F,
I overdid it and it almost ended badly.
At this point the pit wall is very close...

that's a butt tightener. glad you kept it upright.

· Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Whew… that was your rear tire, yes? Front held for recovery. Thanks, I was wondering if too hot of conditions can be problematic. On the other hand I would think slightly too cold you can build heat and feel traction increase but unable to really get on it. With my street riding year around, modulating riding style is critical. Torque can be a bugger in the cold air, fun but very real.

· Super Moderator
26,133 Posts
Love the sound of an F4 on full song.
LIke the leathers, too Manfred!
Has anybody mentioned getting your head off center and not just moving your butt?
The simple act of putting you chin "over the mirror" on the side to which you are turning will improve your lean angle, add grip, and eventually lead to faster lap times....

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive design

· Registered
447 Posts
Thanks for description of the bikes. I love to see and hear bikes being riden hard knowing my road bike is not so far short of that awesomeness. One day I will get organised enough for a track day or two.

· Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@merc07
I have tested some different stand-alone quickshift systems,

and found the Cordona the best,
I am using it on both racebikes,
and on the CorsaCorta (street use only, so far...).
As explained already in other threads,
you can get a plug-and-play system for our MVs,
you can adjust the "foot.force" which is needed to change the gears,
adjust the ignition time-out,
adjust the rpm above which the system is active etc.

On the race bikes,
I use the "Gilles" rear sets,
as the Gilles uses a "push-pull-rod" to connect to the shift barrel.
The sensor is mounted along, "in-line" with this push rod, and here the applied force
is not falsified by a torque.
Also, you can change the shift pattern
simply by a different mounting of the shift linkage
(for reverse shift pattern, the left fairing must be cut-out a bit).
For my Corsacorta, I have the shift barrel for reverse shift pattern,
so no need of an aftermarket rear set.
But this means, you can not use the longitudinally installed sensor,
but the Cordona toe peg sensor (I think Ed uses this as well).
Advantage: no modification is needed at all,
disadvantage: depending on the position of your toe/foot on the sensor,
there is a different torque on the sensor,
and the result is,
that the switching process is sometimes triggered sooner or later.
But for street use absolutely fine,
for race use IMHO not acceptable.

· Registered
1,301 Posts
I think that is what I find, I have the toe peg system, sometimes it will find a false neutral, usually at high rpm.
I think I run the ignition cut at 58, I will have to check, but it is seamless when it works which is 95% of the time.

· Old Wing Nut
25,589 Posts
I have adjusted the force on my peg sensor up to prevent accidental cuts. Works great in track day use.

Reactions: Airkitty

· Registered
1,301 Posts
Think I may have hijacked the thread but..
What is your understanding of how it works.

'Compu shift calculates the perfect kill time according to engine conditions, acceleration, load and rpm from a selection of 500 different kill times, adjustable between 40-80ms'

Is the kill time entered the max kill time used at the top rpm you enter for the shift light - below this rpm, the kill time is less and less ?
I could not get any answer from Cordona.

I use:
sensitivity 22
Kill time 56
Min rpm 4000
Max rpm can't remember and it's too cold to look !

· Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
No
the kill-time ( the duration of the ignition cut, measured in in milliseconds) is fix, you enter it yourself, it is not variable.
As much as I remember, you can set values between 40 and 80 ms.
Also you enter the minimum rpm yourself, this is the engine rpm below which the system is not active.
No max rpm.
No gear detection (okay for gen1 MV).
This means, pushing the gear lever being in 6th gear also gives an ignition cut, but that's no problem.
As already mentioned, I use the Cordona system on both race MVs, both gearboxes still look perfect after so many years on the racetrack.
But that's just my personal decision and experience with quickshift systems.

· Registered
1,301 Posts
Good that you have no issues ;)
So what is compuShift that Cordona talk about and I quoted above ?

So you are saying the kill time on mine at any point in the rpm range would be the static 56ms that I set ?
That's different to any other system out there.

I was told the upper rpm limit you enter for the external shift light is where your fixed kill time starts from ?
Maybe I understand them wrong.

Like you say, below the lower rpm it is not active.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts