MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running Pirelli Diablo SuperCorsas and want to know when it is recommend to replace tires. My tires have more left than right wear due to layout of the last track I rode. On the left my tread is disappearing at the edges (see pics) and some tread has just reached the wear bar on the left side on the rear also. I talked to a tire support at our track and they said I was still good to go. Was planning on doing one more track day on them, but a little concerned. I have not had any tire slippage yet, just one front end chirp likely my fault on the turn. Does anyone run track tires past the wear bar? Probably hard to tell, but from pics would you still run these?

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
The wear bar is the 'high' point in the tread (or the 2 mm 'hole' in a slick) which indicates tyre wear. The right hand side looks like the wear marker is flush with the tread so they are at the end of their legal servicability for road use. it's the tread, solid rubber, tread near the bottom of the shiny bit on the right hand side. Also looks like the wear marker is visible on the bottom tread of the top pic. Not every tread has a wear marker. The other problem is that the edge of the tyre (non tread bit) doesn't have a wear marker so it can be difficult to judge tread wear.

I've also found that the last bit of rubber wears substantially and disproportionally quicker than the first bit. This may or may not be fact.

A viable solution is take a new tyre with you and change the tyre between sessions (as long as there is tyre changing facilities). Alternatively, just change it before the next track day and then there are no issues.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Cheers Ralph, I'm back home and in front of my computer, for the life of me I could not see a wear indicator on those tyres.
Anyway, if in doubt, just put new tyres on for the track, it's never worth taking a chance.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Rear Tire

Should of posted these first. Would you ever ride these another track day?

Left compared to right side wear.

On a slick, when you see the wear marker do you ride until it disappears or when it is showing?

·
Old Wing Nut
22,159 Posts
You can run your tires until there is no tread left. The wear bars are there to warn you the tread is getting near its limit and wet road performance is degraded.
The only reason for tread on a street tire is for wet pavement. When the tread is completely gone on a street tire you have used it up.
When the dimple is gone on a slick you have used it up.
Pirellis tend to maintain performance to the end....some others, like Michelin, seem to decide it is time to stop working with no warning.
Ride on.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Left side looks done, and if you are doing a track day that is predominantly left turns, I would replace them. Depending on your pace, I'm sure you won't have any pattern on left after two sessions. If your in A group, then definitely replace them. I'd also say tire performance would not last a whole day at the track. At all the track days I've attended, the organizers say tires are the best improvement one can make in getting better lap times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts